[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's been something that's been bugging me about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: seisenshi tachi.jpg (1MB, 1170x1280px) Image search: [Google]
seisenshi tachi.jpg
1MB, 1170x1280px
There's been something that's been bugging me about Dunbine, and I wanna know two things.

1. Is it true that the license for Dunbine expired?
2. If so, then is it possible to give this show newer, better subs?
>>
I'd also like to know.
bumping.
>>
I'm not sure about the license, but getting better subs is never easy. Unless you have the resources to get it done yourself OP.
>>
>>11216530
>1. Is it true that the license for Dunbine expired?

well ADV held the rights and they went out of business so..YES?

>2. If so, then is it possible to give this show newer, better subs?

It is technically POSSIBLE yes
>>
>>11216530
>2. If so, then is it possible to give this show newer, better subs?

As far as have heard, the translation seems to be okay. It's more about correcting the shitty quality control the releases had that left them riddled with inconsistencies and romanizations that don't really make sense with what's being said (and unlike, say, JJBA, can't be blamed on trying to avoid copyright issues.)
Personally, I've been wanting to go through and correct some of the QC problems in the old ADV subs for a while now.
Mostly just a matter of finding a good guide for the correct romanizations.

If I ever get around to it, will post the batch of ASS files here.

Otherwise, continuing to hold out hope that DiscoTek will pull another miracle hat trick and give a big hand to everyone that got dicked by ADV's poor handling of the show.
>>
>>11216974
>I've been wanting to go through and correct some of the QC problems in the old ADV subs for a while now.

There are some words that were left untranslated though, not just lazy romanizations.
>>
Macek can burn in hell.
>>
>>11219566
>waaaaaaaaaah muh macross
>>
>>11219602
>waaaaaaaaaah muh dunbine

fix'd.
>>
>>11219566

Really? Because people were falling over themselves to sub Dunbine. People have been clamoring for it on bluray, with better subs. Fuck you clown. Like it or not, Macek is the reason Dunbine EVER got subbed. Granted, he romanized a lot of words rather badly. But that's about the only major complaint that's valid at all. Don't start shit about a dub we both know you weren't listening too..
>>
>>11223137
>Granted, he romanized a lot of words rather badly. But that's about the only major complaint that's valid at all.

see >>11217956
>>
>>11224194

I watched the whole of the R1 subtitle track, because again, there are no fansubs, ever, and the only word left "untranslated" was muscle left as musuru or some such gibberish. The left was translated. Some of it was romanized so oddly it seemed to be untranslated, I'll grant you that. But it's not like there were key words or sentences in Japanese.

And do we know if there even exists a master list for the proper romanization for Dunbine words? Without a doubt, some very odd choices were made. But is there a master list which made the mistakes absolute pure idiocy, such as Gundam eventually got? or does it make some sense for Macek and team to have been left groping in the dark?
>>
>>11216974
>>11224406
You seem to be a retarded faggot who doesn't even know basic japanese, so it's no wonder the subs seem fine to you. But in order to correct Dunbine's subs, you need to have a decent grasp of the japanese language, as many of the lines are just plain wrong.
>>
>>11226362
>you need to have a decent grasp of the japanese language
Ew.

I'd rather spend my time studying something useful.
>>
>>11224406
Groping in the dark is one thing.

Some of these were just Macek making shit up that loosely resembled names.

Prize-winner still goes to Drake's daughter.

Break down the name as it's written/pronounced: 'Ree-mu-ru'
Prior to ADV's involvement, the closest consistent spelling anyone seemed to favor was 'Riml'

Then Macek comes along and turns it into 'Elmelie'.

Fucked if anyone knows where he got that 'Eh' and 'ee' at the start and end from.
>>
>>11226493
>Some of these were just Macek making shit up that loosely resembled names.
One thing I did like is turning the nonsensical "Will Wips" to "Will o' Wisp"
>>
>>11226518
Given it's a ship made in a fantasy world different from our own, I'm kind of willing to let the nonsense there slide and chalk it up to different culture.
>>
>>11226493
>Some of these were just Macek making shit up that loosely resembled names.

Similar to Tomino names then?
>>
>>11226565

With Freedom he still had the Druggies, and Rau. Strike Freedom had the Destiny, and Legend. He had plenty of machines that were arguably as good or better then the Freedom.
>>
>>11226786
Yup, that is definitely the correct response to a thread about Dunbine names.
>>
>>11226362

Loving all those examples you sited.

Also I was just talking about untranslated words, and localized names. Not actual translation.

>>11226493

I could kind of hear that when I heard it in the show. Don't get me wrong, odd choice, but I could kind of hear it. I don't think Macek did any research into how the names had previously been localized. And he was approaching it like he would a show 20 years ago. Which was not the way to do it in that day and age.
>>
>>11227289
>Also I was just talking about untranslated words, and localized names. Not actual translation.
But you actually said "As far as have heard, the translation seems to be okay.", so you can't just backpedal on that. And if you want examples I can give some.
>>
>>11229216

No I didn't you absolute jackass. That wasn't me. Why did you assume those two posts were the same person?
>>
File: 1388967587886.jpg (54KB, 714x682px) Image search: [Google]
1388967587886.jpg
54KB, 714x682px
Was Macek actually involved with the subs at all? This IS the guy who virtually spent his entire career dubbing things so it doesn't make any sense for him to be anywhere near the subtitles and I haven't heard of any similar problems with the other releases he was involved with at ADV.

Also,
>mfw he was the sound design producer for some random 90's OVA
>>
>>11216974
>romanizations that don't really make sense with what's being said
I am still bothered why the character ??? is romanized as "Emille" when it pronounced "Rimuru"
>>
>>11231731
The writing styles are suspiciously similar, so I smell backpedaling.
>>
>>11216835
ADV dissolved into several companies, unless someone says otherwise, one of those holds the rights to Dunbin.

Probably Sentai since I believe most of their assets went to them.
>>
>>11216530
1: Who cares
2: Of course, fansubs can make better subs

unless you mean licensing it yourself

because if you have to ask about that you don't know enough Japanese people to make it happen so give up now
>>
ELMELIE
>>
File: 10908420.jpg (328KB, 798x600px) Image search: [Google]
10908420.jpg
328KB, 798x600px
Interesting how fan art usually makes Billbine look different than it does in-show.
>>
>>11234657
Probably because Billbine a shit.
>>
>>11226493
>>11231858
>>11233020

The official japanese romanization is Riml.
>>
File: 5346264.gif (6KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
5346264.gif
6KB, 130x130px
>>
In my opinion, the worst part of the translated script was that they kept referring to Silky Mau as "the/a silkie".
>>
>>11235452
muh dick broh... muh dick...
>>
>>11234657
>>11234669

OP isn't fan art.
>>
>>11232904

Smell all you want numbnutz, doesn't make it true.
>>
>>11236714
>still denying obvious samefagging
Whatever makes you sleep at night, mate.
>>
File: Bill Nye.jpg (29KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bill Nye.jpg
29KB, 396x400px
>>11216974
>As far as have heard, the translation seems to be okay.
>>
Is anyone going to correct the subs or not?
>>
>>11243514
Seems like no japanese/english speaker gives a fuck about Dunbine, so most certainly not.
>>
>>11233014
>unless someone says otherwise, one of those holds the rights to Dunbin.

The lack of reprints says they probably just let the rights expire even before they went tits up as ADV.

It wasn't exactly the golden goose they were hoping it was.
>>
>>11246748
>It wasn't exactly the golden goose they were hoping it was.

If they really expected it to be a golden goose, they would at least put some effort into it. ADV probably licensed Dunbine just because Macek kept bothering them about it.
>>
>>11248056
Macek a shit.
>>
>>11248056
>they would at least put some effort into it.

Surprisingly, they did. Sort of.

Do you remember when it first came out? ADV hyped the show up quite a bit for an older series.
Pre-release hype articles in Newtype and seriously banking on the name recognition of Gundam and Robotech to make the show move.

Unfortunately, between its age and the fact Macek handled the actual translation like it was still the late 80s, it didn't turn into the sales bonanza ADV was initially trying to drum it up to, promotion dried up in a big way, and then they just sort of petered out leading to the fact the final discs are now obnoxiously hard to find.
>>
>>11248865
I keep forgetting we used to have Newtype USA
>>
>>11248865

I don't think Macek was a translator himself. Maybe ADV just provided a shitty translator for him.
>>
>>11249562
Checking ANN, it seems the tler for Dunbine was also the person who handled Dai-Guard, Orphen, and the ZoE animes.

Not sure how the translation was on those comparatively to say if there's an issue there or not.
>>
>>11249590
I really liked the Dai-Guard translation, actually
>>
>>11249590
I know at least Dolores has some name-spelling issues.
>>
>>11249562
To update on this, while someone else tled, it seems ol' Carl himself did the ADR script.

Doesn't clear the subs, but does say a lot about the dub.
>>
stop fucking bumping this, OP's questions were answered and we discussed the shit out of everything about Dunbine
>>
>>11260130
Go back to >>>/a/ you faggot.
>>
>>11262149
How is that an /a/ thing?
>>
>>11262164

/a/ is /m/'s boogeyman.
>>
>>11249656
I'm currently watching the dub and turns out it's way more retarded than the subs, and the performances are really awful.
>>
>>11260130
>OP's questions were answered and we discussed the shit out of everything about Dunbine

Not really.
>>
>>11262149
>>11263687
>>11267324
>>11271252
Stop it, George.
>>
>>11271294

Who is George? Is it the OP?
>>
>>11271573
He's probably talking about George Bush.
>>
>>11275963
He's talking about the samefag asshole who keeps bumping this each fucking time it gets to page 10. Why is this thread so important to you? Each time you bump this, better threads fall off the board you know.
>>
>>11279685
nigga u mad
>>
I didn't know there was good raws of this show.
>>
>>11280832

AI-Raws is quite decent. I myself am encoding the Japanese DVDs, since quality groups such as EG or OnDeed will probably never do it, but the bad subs are keeping me from sharing these encodes. I can correct the romanizations myself, but I don't really know Japanese and can't correct mistranslations aside from the most basic ones.
>>
>>11249590
Dai-Guard wasn't absurdly terrible, if we're talking about the dub. There was some woodenness, but it certainly wasn't full shit tier.

If we're talking subs, I dunno, I can't into Japanese enough to tell if the subs are actually right.
>>
>>11282889

Are there mistranslations? Are there? We know the names were romanized rather questionably, but I haven't seen a single example of an actual mistranslation yet.
>>
>>11282987

Garalia says "Danbain to Doro ga ni ki", and I guess "ni ki" would be ??, so I think she meant something like "A Dunbine and two Doro machines..."
>>
>>11282922
Just the translation.

For the dub wording, that'd be the ADR script, which, for Dai-Guard was two other people entirely/
>>
>>11282987
Stop being an apologetic faggot.
>>
>>11286137

Apologizing for the complete lack of evidence up until right, >>11283185
here? Yeah, naw.

Incidently, >>11283185 Thanks for what's so far the one and only (But totally valid) example of bad subs on Dunbine.
>>
What happened that caused the dub to be a lot worse than most of Macek's Streamline stuff?
>>
>>11286335

Here's another better example, but I'm not too sure and think someone like TE spoiler guy would be be more helpful.
Bern seems to say "Sirukii no kyoryoku erareba na" which I guess would mean something like "Silky must choose to collaborate/cooperate."
>>
>>11287216

Ya know, Dunbine is my favorite Tomino show, and for the life of me I can't recall if Silkie referred solely to Silkie Mau as an individual with a name, or to a group of Mi Ferario. Even that much shit I had to google around for to refresh the names for myself.

Still, I thank you for actually looking for examples, rather than parroting things you heard on the internet.

These (so far) seem like silly mistakes that make lines read funny, rather than changing the nature of the plot. Now I'm sure that if one kind of bad translation is in there, the other is too. But nothing Earth shattering yet.

Nothing on par with the only line (That we know of.) that even partially explains why two GUNDAMS disappeared in Zeta being so mistranslated it makes it seem like the two units should be showing back up, rather than going away forever.
>>
>>11287388

The official translation refers to Silky Mau as "the silkie", but that's her individual name and she is actually an Eh Ferario.
>>
File: koh kawarajima dunbine.jpg (2MB, 1152x1541px) Image search: [Google]
koh kawarajima dunbine.jpg
2MB, 1152x1541px
>>
Why does this guy keep bumping the thread

Can't the mods just delete it already
>>
>>11294007
OP probably does it in the hope that someone might fix Dunbine's subs.
>>
>>11294903

As much as I want Dunbine's subs fixed, I'd rather the translators of /m/ concentrate on the shows we've yet to get in any kind of English. Granted, that list is thankfully diminishing, but it's still a list.
>>
>>11295347
This.

If anything, other 80s ones need to be done first, like Galatt and Acrobunch.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.