[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/m/ Video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: Hawken-2.jpg (192KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Hawken-2.jpg
192KB, 1280x720px
What are some good mecha video games? I'm currently playing Hawken and it's all right but I'm not much into the online battle arena/fps fad that's been happening the last few years (and doesn't look like it's going to slow down)

I'm open for most anything (even online fps/oba games yes) that's out or is coming out but games with a story or some customization would be nice (not a ton)
>>
>>10933325
Zone
OF the
ENDERS

trust me don't question just get it
>>
>>10933325
I should rephrase that last sentence, when I said not a ton I should have added is not necessary. If a game has a ton of customization I can still enjoy it (I used to play the shit out of armored core but stopped at 3 for some reason and never got around to picking it back up)
>>
>>10933339
m.a.v
strike vector
maaaybe colossal kaiku combat
gundam breakers
that x game for wiiu
and airmech. that's all I got
>>
>>10933339
you should pick it back, at least until Last Raven, as probably you know, 4/4A are fast and aggressive as hell, and V/VD are more slow and tactical, still all good games, you probably want to skip nexus
>>
>>10933339
I played armored core 2 and 3 and loved them, was really looking forward to 5. It was a huge disappointment though, been looking for something to fill the void since
>>
>>10933330
O RLY?

ZOE is shit and everyone knows it.
>>
>>10934744
>>
>>10934786
For realz bro...

http://www.thunderboltgames.com/review/zone-of-the-enders-hd-collection
>>
>>10933325
try Strike Suit zero
(or strike suit infity that is an arcade)
>>
>>10934883
then play the PS2 one bro

better yet, play it on an emulator. Or the PS3 version since it actually had a patch to fix the framerate a bit.
>>
>>10934904
Still shit bro...

http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews/reviews-anubis/
>>
Strike Suit Zero is damn pretty, as well as having fun and challenging combat.
>>
>>10934915

>I'm a slave to reviews and can't formulate my own opinion

The Wonderful Tool of Oz, folks.
>>
>>10935486
Nah, they're just shit games.

Omega Boost wipes the floor with ZOE.
>>
>>10935478
The balancing is pretty terrible in that game and the time limited transformation setup is duuuuuuuumb.

Heard that the original lead designer left a year before it finished and they didn't have a clue how to make it work. Really shows.

Director's Cut is also buggy as fuck.
>>
>>10937023
Heard about this, the guy posted on NeoGAF about what happened:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97612109&postcount=272

Pretty sure this guy runs Mecha Damashii too.
>>
>>10937215
Yep, it is him. Looks like he went to work on the last Gears of War after Strike Suit Zero.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,153124/

Wonder why he left?
>>
>>10937280

He was senior game designer on Judgement and dares to speak of other fuckups?
That game killed what few decent things were left from GoW and just turned it into third person CoD complete with 2 weapons limit and everything.
Judgement was shit, even more shit than 3 was.

I mean I agree with everything he said here >>10937215 but...
>>
>>10937300
Sounds like he just had to fix low level stuff, as most of the game was already controlled by Epic:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102334163&postcount=6248

Not surprising really, a lot of designers generally get buried with mechanical problems these days. The whole auteur crap is pretty obviously all about PR.

I actually quite enjoyed Judgment tbh, though the singleplayer was a bit meh.
>>
File: ACV VD saw.jpg (313KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ACV VD saw.jpg
313KB, 1280x720px
Could try Armored Core V:Verdict Day. has a really fun online mode to fuck aorund with and single player campaign that you can bro-op through.

PS3/360 exclusive though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2G2f34CL1w
>>
>>10937320
Reading more of his stuff it comes across that he was much more in control of Strike Suit Zero's direction than on Judgment too. Suppose that makes sense as it was a much smaller game in terms of the team most likely.

Still don't get why the guy left though. As he runs Mecha Damashii, so he must really like mecha games.
>>
>>10934915

So what?
He gave this shitpile 6/10

http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews/reviews-gundam-side-stories-610/

and it's just another journey to jaburo/battle operations ripoff with targeting problems in 2014.
>>
>>10937320
>As for me, I did all manner of fire-fighting and system design fixes (stuff almost no-one here will notice most likely). I was credited a as senior as that was my job title, nothing more than that I am afraid.

Well that excuses him then.
>>
>>10937372
At least it's a playable shitpile. 2nd Runner is a mess by comparison.

That Side Stories review is pretty accurate though.
>>
>>10937382
Yeah, looks like the direction of the game was already in place by the time he joined as well.

>PCF worked on the original Overrun but that got shifted over to Epic just before I joined. Though we did a lot of the DLC after that, though by that time Johnny had left and I had to help out a bit (mostly on Breakthrough).
>>
>>10937384
>2nd Runner is a mess by comparison.

No it's not.
The only level I'd say it's badly designed is the one where you have to save the apartments.
The rest are rather enjoyable, diverse and apart from the main battle with the LEVs they didn't suffer from too big slowdowns on the PS2.
PS3 patch resolved those slowdowns by the way.

Of course if you were expecting an on rail-shooter game you'd be disappointed.
>>
File: Metal Arms.jpg (27KB, 256x331px) Image search: [Google]
Metal Arms.jpg
27KB, 256x331px
>>10933325
Here's a fun one. It's a FPS, sort of like Ratchet & Clank in that there's a bunch of different weapons that level up (though you have to buy the upgrades), and the dialogue's fucking hilarious. Also it had awesome multiplayer and CONTROL TETHERS which are the most badass thing ever.

Too bad it will never ever get a sequel, and it ended on a big cliffhanger (both in the way it ended and in the fact that there were open questions throughout it involving the protagonist and the Morbots)
>>
>>10937392
PS3 patch resolved barely anything, the game is still a mess.

Plus that whole massive battle against all the orbital frame cannon fodder is barely playable due to the shit framerate.

Anyway, the ZOE games are inherently broken because the ranges aren't linked properly (it's why the zero shift is such a horrible hack).

Omega Boost isn't an on rails shooter though, not really.

Now that's a really fucking clever game.
>>
>>10937398

Ah dude that game was fun as hell split-screen, used to play it with my friend alot.

I remember the single player campaign being pretty funny also.
>>
File: 1400945649741.jpg (241KB, 1000x1167px) Image search: [Google]
1400945649741.jpg
241KB, 1000x1167px
>>
>>10939974

That game kicks ass. Really fun RTS game with customizable mechs.

AI is stupidly OP though in later missions if you take too much time in a mission. You can build units on land, underground, and in the low orbit, and trying to micromanage a battle on 3 fronts like that can be overwhelming. If you let the enemy AI get an edge over you they will quickly dominate all 3 areas and youll get raped. The AI also has this habit of saving all their nukes until you decide to use a nuke. Kind of a mutually assured destruction thing. If you drop a nuke on the enemy base, within about 5 seconds youll have one landing on your own if the enemy has one ready for launch.
>>
>>10937398
if you want to know about what would have happened in the sequels, here's the story about it.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-story-of-metal-arms-glitch-in-the-system-200391.phtml
>>
File: Hammer.jpg (11KB, 300x245px) Image search: [Google]
Hammer.jpg
11KB, 300x245px
>>10934883
>>10934915
I can't help but imagine this guy is Hammer shitposting
speaking of OP, Xenogears is a great /m/ game if you are looking for an rpg
>>
Just bought Strike Suit Zero since it's 80's off at GOG. I think I'll buy War For Cybertron if it goes on sale in Steam.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.