[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jerry Pournelle has passed away.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: DSC02249.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02249.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
RIP. One of the greats of science fiction.

https://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmanor/well-wishing/
>>
>>9998928

Whats the pool on GRRM's heart exploding by the end of the year
>>
What's you favorite pournelle book? I like Oath of Fealty. High justice is pretty good too
>>
>>9999052
Janissaries is my favorite. RIP old man
>>
>>9999107
Gotta love when a usually semi-hard science fi military strategist writer goes ham and bundles together a half dozen different militaries from different centuries to battle it out. Footfall/Lucifer's Hammer is top notch slightly cheesy end-of-the-world type stuff too.

The Strategy of Technology used to be required reading for military academies you know... He was a big influencer for missile intercepting tech, the DC-X, etc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7lHBnlKQM

1979 - Jerry explaining word processors

a great piece of history
>>
>>9999123
The stuff he did with Niven was really good too. Mote is still some of the best sci-fi around
>>
>>9998928
i have to admit, "A Step Further Out" was relentlessly optimistic, but i don't think he took the time to wonder if humanity SHOULD be loosed among the stars before it grows up a little.
>>
Lucifer's Hammer and Mote in God's Eye were kickass books. Lucifer's Hammer (in the paperback version) once toppled over on my bookshelf and crushed a plastic model of a WW2 Willys Jeep I had spent many hours building. No book is so thick you can trust it to stand on its own without a bookend.
>>
>>10001600
King David's Spaceship is also pretty good. I personally like The Prince the best; it's a huge book that combines ever single CoDominium universe novel into one
>>
RIP
I was on the fence about what book to read next so I'll read one of yours.
>>
Where to start with Jerry?
>>
>>10002430
the Niven collabs

then the early Falkenberg stories perhaps?
>>
>>9999267
He even made an accurate prediction of what the internet would be. Interesting.
>>
>>10002657
Computer networks had been around for years by that time.
>>
"Mote in God's Eye" was great.
"Inferno" was kind of disappointing, and the "you can leave hell if you're sorry" ending was kind of a copout.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.