[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SLA/ - Second-language acquisition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 10

File: second-language-acquisition.png (18KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
second-language-acquisition.png
18KB, 255x255px
What language are you learning? Are you making progress?
>>
Scottish Gaelic . its taken me a while to find a book that explains the actual structure and rules of the language itself. once i have that down I'll start memorizing the vocabulary.

a flashcard program:

https://apps.ankiweb.net/
>>
Ancient Greek, using Athenaze (Italian edition). Just started chapter XII, that is, first aorist and the imperfect form of ἐιμι.
>>
>native tongue: portuguese
>second language: english
>learning: italian
not that it matters much, but I'm finishing all units in duoling and its not even been a month (given, italian and portuguese are very similar). Right now I can read several song lyrics and can write basic sentences without having to depend on a dictionary. Can understand good amounts of movies without subtitles, and even more with subtitles on in italian. Pronuntiation is not a problem either. Soon I will tackle some of calvino's short stories.
>>
>>9995284
Breathing marks ought to go over the second vowel of diphthongs, phile. Good luck with Greek: nice language.

Sanskrit myself. It's kicking my ass, but I'm persevering.
>>
Norwegian; not much so far. Learning vocabulary including lots of sno and vann compound words. Picked up a reader off Amazon.
>>
>>9995513
You are right, it slipped my mind. In my defense, I was trying to remember how to type the breathing marks using Euclid GP, so I was paying more attention to the program than to punctuation.

Sanskrit is the final boss of ancient languages. I wish you luck with it.
>>
I'm trying to learn French but it's hard to pick up vocabulary through textbooks etc because there's no proper Anki deck for just grinding vocabulary (e.g. core6k with japanese). And I'm not going to fucking make cards on my own.
>>
我写一点点中文
我说一点点普通话不好
我不好
>>
I'm learning Spanish: could someone suggest me some good short stories? Borges would be the obvious choice but is he advisable for a beginner?
>>
>>9995556
I learned much of my French vocabulary by reading two articles a day on online newspapers for some months
>>
>>9995616
Cuentos de la selva by quiroga
>>
>>9995622
I don't have the grammar base though. Duolingo has me learning too much vocab that I'm not able to progress as fast as I'd like to with the grammar (it's my belief that anki/flashcards is the most efficient way to learn vocab).
>>
>>9995625
Well I am Italian so I guess the leap from learning the basics to reading newspapers was easier.

Are you using solely Duolingo to learn? Doesn't seem very effective, how is it?
>>
Just opted out from learning Russian, was really fun while it lasted though. Spent a week in Petersburg and host families came back to visit us in Finland. It was lovely to live on Nevsky Prospect right next to the Eremitage :D
>>
>>9995631
It's a good if you have no idea how to start learning I guess. Looking up French language guides on 4chan Reddit and language forums just gives me this huge mess of websites, textbooks and lectures; there's no way anyone can figure out which one to pick. My main gripe with it is, as I mentioned before, the way it teaches vocabulary. What I'm looking for is a text grammar guide which introduces grammar points by chapter, with example sentences and a fixed list of words used (so I can learn them beforehand and have an easier time learning grammar). If by any chance someone knows a resource like this, PLEASE link it to me. Many thanks.

That said I gave up half a year ago because of time constraints (I got conscripted). Now I have a little more time so I'm considering picking it up again.
>>
How to language learn:

Learn common phrases
Get a feel for pronunciation
Learn grammar basics
Increase vocab
Read graded books
Listen to music
Learn more
Read more
Listen more
Talk to native speakers
Realize you're still shit
>>
im trying to learn american
but the prerequisite of a two digit iq is like shit nigga i cant do that.
>>
>>9995082
Why?
>>
>>9995686
Good post, thanks
>>
File: Clisham.jpg (97KB, 744x455px) Image search: [Google]
Clisham.jpg
97KB, 744x455px
>>9995710
I have relatives from there and feel a close connection to Alba (Scotland). Their culture is respectable and they have a pleasing language. Not to mention the beautiful landscape. If anyone is interested these resources have been helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_orthography

https://learngaelic.scot/?

there is a book called progressive gaelic which I learned is one of the books that colleges use to teach. there is also a series called "teaching yourself gaelic" available as a torrent. I've also taken to watching a lot of Scottish gaelic television on BBC Alba. If anyone needs any help finding / accessing any of these resources feel free to ask.
>>
ancient greek
just started, so im pretty much just memorizing grammar rules
>>
>>9995556
bilingual editions of books. particularly poetry.

reading plebby news articles works too but isnt as fun and requires you to actually look things up
>>
>>9995686
I hate nearly all the music in the language I'm trying to learn. It's pretty rough.
>>
> Feench native
> English fluency
> Spanish conversational
> learning German

Duolinguo is a pretty good app desu.

t. Reddit lurker
>>
>>9995631
Use lingvist. It really helps in building your vocabuary and your reading comprehension. It made it easier to read literature, for example.
Before delving into lingvist, i sued Duoling and took a Basic (very basic) French in college. Pick up a grammar book if you aren't able to take a french class.
>>
I speak both Arabic & English fluently, though I'm somewhat-illiterate in Arabic, should I learn another language? Or should I iron out Arabic first?

There aren't many titles in Arabic literature, so I'm inclined to go with the ladder.
>>
>>9996701
keep studying Arabic imo
>>
File: 1503598942778.jpg (49KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1503598942778.jpg
49KB, 480x480px
>born in Bosnia
>barely know the language
>don't give a single shit about it or my country or culture
>feel compelled to become fluent because future confrontations with my extended family during important occasions is unavoidable and I don't want to look like a simpleton
>>
>>9996717
>so I'm inclined to go with the ladder.
I meant to say former, oops

>>9996717
Yeah It would be a waste if I only knew how to speak the language, It's just that the writing system is so god damn hard to learn, I'm not sure if its worth it, the only Arabic book that most people can name off the top of their head is the Quran, and I'm not going to learn how to read Arabic just for that book.
>>
>>9996722
>>9996728
I'm in the same boat amigo - born in the UAE, I went to a private English school, so I never really picked up how to become literate in Arabic, even my spoken Arabic is getting rusty by the year since I rarely use it.
>>
>>9996728
Well, you coud read a lot of the literature from the Golden Age of Islam, but i suspect it would be difficult since those works are very old and probably can't be easily understood to modern arabic speakers.
>>
French! I'm an absolute beginner and need help!
Please offer any advice.
>>
>>9996678
Maxime?
>>
Can anyone recommend me any good french films?
>>
File: La_Nuit_oscar.jpg (43KB, 260x341px) Image search: [Google]
La_Nuit_oscar.jpg
43KB, 260x341px
>>9996768
Day for Night is one that I've always wanted to watch but I don't understand French and cant find it with (English) subs
>>
I'm currently learning french, but feel like I will never use it outside of my readings.

Should I transition over to spanish since it has more of a real world basis? (I live in america). How hard is it to switch over?
>>
>>9996768
Un prophète, Irreversible, La Haine,
Delicatessen, 400 Blows, Pierrot le Fou, Le Cercle Rouge
>>
>>9995631
I am brazilian, learning italian with duolingo and it is very easy, of course the ease is due to the similarities of the 2 languages. middleway through the duolingo units I started reading italian song lyrics, 2/3 through the units I started reading bigger texts (articles, news, etc), writing italian and watching italian movies (or english movies with italian audio/subs). Now I just keep re-doing some units to train vocabulary.
>>
Learning German, currently coursing B1 in school and although I already have a good vocabulary to start, there's still a shitton to see. I currently just want to get to the point of reading Goethe and Maria Rilke.

Have my phone in German and everything in it, very helpful, also playing YuGiOh Links in German has been very useful.

>>9995616
Lee el Principito en español, es una buena opción. Qué más... Luis López Nieves luego escribe cosas entretenidas http://ciudadseva.com/otros-escritos/cuentos-de-luis-lopez-nieves-disponibles-en-internet/
>>
>>9995616
Las leyendas de Becquer
>>
>>9995082
>book 2 understand the structure of a language

You can literally use the wikipedia article you brainlet
>>
>>9995586
我[只会]写一点点中文
I [can only] write a little Chinese
我说一点点普通话[,说的不好]
我[中文]不好
帮帮我,Help me
>>
>>9995616
Also Borges is way advanced, includes latin, argentinismos, french, german, etc. so I wouldn't recommend it. It was even challenging to me, a native.
>>
Japanese. I'm at level two of the college course but I have studied at least 100 kanjis with a private teacher. I can recognize them but I can't use them nor read them 100% effectively. Kanji's are hard.

>>9996768
Fuck I can't remember this film about a man that becomes the CEO because the old one died. Everybody wants to fuck him over but he decide a devious plan to take them out while dealing with a french model that cock teases her the whole movie until he rapes her
>>
>>9996728
Try Naguib Mahfouz
>>
杀我吧
>>
>>9997208
autistic point but kanji is plural.
>>
>>9996846
>un prophete
pleb

>>9996768
Madame de…
>>
>>9997208
>Fuck I can't remember this film about a man that becomes the CEO because the old one died. Everybody wants to fuck him over but he decide a devious plan to take them out while dealing with a french model that cock teases her the whole movie until he rapes her
le capital
its trash btw
>>
>>9997681
Thanks. English isn't my first language neither so I wouldn't know that much. It's good to know now so I don't fuck up later.
>>
Persian/Farsi, have a grasp of basic grammar and now just throwing vocab at myself every day.
>>
>>9997987
'Kanji' is Japanese, anon.
>>
>>9995057
>Second Language
the absolute state of burgerland education, if you graduated high school you already know two languages
>>
>>9997999
You don't type 'Kanji' in japanese.
>>
File: 1504785748226.jpg (116KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1504785748226.jpg
116KB, 720x720px
>>9998014
Kanji in japanese
>>
I'm American, picked up shit while traveling, lived abroad for 2 years. My Korean is my most comfortable second language .

한국어 조금 잘해요

я мoгy нeмнoгo гoвopить пo-pyccки

私は日本語を少し話します
>>
>>9998014
The poster was doubting whether he should pluralise 'kanji' with an 's'.

He said his native language wasn't English.

My point is that his native language not being English has no relevance on whether 'kanji' plural has an 's' or not, since it's a Japanese word.
>>
>>9998034
Marseilles
Marseille
>>
>Kanji in japanese
Thats fine and all but how do I know it was (you) who did it?

>>9998027
>Go = Hana
Sometimes I don't know why even bother with this language.
>>
i'm speaking german as my native language and english and russian fluently

spanish, french and italian only conversational and want to deepen my skills in one of them, which one of these 3 should i give a go?
>>
Learning Japanese.

Since I got accepted to a research program conducted in entirely Japanese at a Japanese university with the topic related to Japanese literature, I'm quite happy with my results.
>>
>>9998073
if you want to read the best poets of history, learn italian.
>>
>>9996678
French and German are useless lenguages, frencfor niggas and Germany going to speak Arab in a generation.
>>
>>9998073
Spanish is more useful.
>>
>>9998102
back to /pol/ you imbecile
>>
>>9998102

Even if German disappeared as a living language from the face of the Earth tomorrow you'd still have centuries worth of arguably the greatest literary tradition on the planet to peruse.
>>
>>9995305
>nt:spanish
>sc:english
>learning:italian

i'm on the same boat but can understand spoken portuguese easily yet spoken italian at fast pace drives me nuts
>>
>>9995057
>native tongues
english and spanish
>currently learning
german and french
>would like to learn
roman, italian, russian
could someone suggest me some good short stories in german and french?
>inb4 kleine fabel
also is russian really difficult as they make it out to be? i was able to coast through the first 20 doulingo lessons with no problems, save maybe the pronunciation. why is russian always made out to be some japanese-tier fuckery that'll take you years to barely understand?
>>
>>9998228
gb2reddit
>>
native language: portuguese
second language: english
third language: spanish
learning: persian

i'm still working on spanish but was focusing on persian lately. persian is quite hard, specially reading it since they don't write down the short vowels and stuff. idk what else i should say
>>
>>9998073
How did you become fluent in Russian? Years? Hours per week?
>>
>>9998655
russian's not that bad, imo, but you need a really large vocabulary, and coming from a non-slavic tongue that takes a while
>>
>>9998717
not that guy, but I've studied Russian for three years (the last year spent living in Russia) and speak it pretty well. My speaking/writing isn't fluent, just very good, but I can read and understand absolutely fluently (I do my work in Russian too). I studied it like an autistic neet studies japanese though (hours every day)
>>
Adorno used to say that German is the ideal language to do philosophy, is he right?
>>
>>9998733
what was your motivation?
>>
>>9998733
Thanks, I was hoping some other anon could answered me just like you did.
>>
>>9998793
No problem. A positive of Russian is that it's really easy to find practice stuff, since all tv and books are available online without any attempts to hide them at all. I used to spend at least one hour watching a tv show every day, at least one hour watching the news, and at least one hour reading (normally YA fiction). I also did large amounts of vocab-mining, and anki. The first year and a half I took Russian classes as well at uni, which helped with basic underlying grammar things, and I used lang8 for other grammar questions. I also wrote some fanfic in Russian once lang8 was getting boring, on sites where people anally correct your grammar.

>>9998791
Russia is really comfy to me. I had never been there before and had no real reason, but the cold commie-block desolation posted on 4chan appealed to me, and I desperately wanted to start my life over, so I just did the weaboo thing with Russia instead of Japan. From this I learned that you absolutely can outrun your problems. Also Russian lit is pretty good and the girls are attractive, but I won't pretend that was my motivation
>>
>>9998814
>>9998793
also those were minimums. When I found books I liked I would spend basically all day reading in Russian and vocab mining at the same time. Before I quit using anki I had like 24k words
>>
>>9998102
>implying the LITERATURE board cares
>>
if you guys have any suggestions on essential resources that I should post in the next thread I'm up for suggestions
>>
File: 1504149102784.png (401KB, 552x498px) Image search: [Google]
1504149102784.png
401KB, 552x498px
> One weird trick to learn a language insanely fast!

Get yourself some audio of basic sentences (Pimsleur, whatever) and listen to them and repeat them out loud while you walk. Something about learning a language while physically moving around makes you pick it up faster.

You won't even look weird. People will assume you're talking on your iphone in public, which is socially acceptable these days.

tl;dr walk and learn
>>
>>9998860
Do this + daily anki flashcards.

Learning grammar is a meme. All you need is deep immersion.
>>
>>9998855
Memrise
Language Transfer
Graded Readers
>>
>>9997975
un prophete is crime kino dude, rec me something better that is also recent
>>
>>9998867
I think you should definitely read a basic grammar book and work through the excercises, but overall once you learn it once it's not like you should have to study it. Anki is god for sure though.

Honestly I'd recommend everyone here check out /djt/ even if they're not learning japanese. the way they learn there works
>>
>>9998890
whats /djt/
>>
>>9998897
daily japanese thread. for japanese learners. it used to be on /a/, but I think it's moved to /jp/ now? Anyway, it's full of insane autists that do speed in order to learn japanese better and study 14 hours a day
>>
>>9998907
so what's their technique other than doing speed, i dont fuck with the weeb boards and i resent them
>>
>>9998870
thanks
>>
>>9997087
谢谢!
你很好
>>
>>9998907
why would anyone waste their life learning a language from a dying culture? japan is totally irrelevant on the world stage
>>
as an american ive been avoiding learning spanish forever even though i live in a spanish neighborhood and both of my jobs would benefit from being able to to speak spanish, recommend me some resources
>>
>>9998948
is this even a question? you know the answer is animu

>>9998937
just check out a couple of the threads, even if youre not studying japanese you might find it helpful
>>
>>9996836
Pretty easy I would imagine. Spanish is really distinct from French; if you confuse them during recall you will probably catch yourself because Spanish words and grammar sound Spanish. Guess which is which:
Fenetre - Ventana -- (fereastra, finestra, fenestram)
Chausette - Calcetin -- (ciorap, calzino)
Hamburger - Hamburguesa -- (hamburger, hamburger)
Taureau - Toro -- (taur, toro, taurus)
Cascade - Cascada -- (cascada, cascata, cataracta)

You will also find that spanish grammar is satisfyingly logical and simple in comparison; this will aid in recognizing when you've used the wrong article or suffix or something like that.
>>
I am studying Chinese. It takes a long time to make any real progress in this language.

我在学习中文。我说了“在学习” 因为学习某一个外语是一辈子的过程。我学习中文十年了左右。如果你想学习中文你需要花很多时间。
>>
Sanskrit. The sheer amount of rules and exceptions JUST for external/internal sandhi is daunting. I know it'd be easier if i could just grind dhātus and go from there; but the book i'm using (mueller's handbook on pdf) is even less friendly than the language itself. Motherfucker expects me to memorize two hundred rules before giving a single word.

Any good source to just learn roots?
>>
Kinda wanna learn Urdu
>>
>>9999142
Why are all the first words in the parentheses in Romanian?
>>
Anyone have resources for learning Polish? My parents were born in Poland, but came to Canuckland because they didn't really enjoy communism. I can speak/understand basic words and phrases, but I struggle with pronunciation, and with more difficult vocab. It would be awesome to finally become one with my inner slav.
>>
>>9995057
I learned French very well in university. I regret not learning Greek and Latin instead. Oh well.
>>
>>9999279
Try to find a two-part grammar by a guy called Thomas Egenes. It's more modern than Müller's and has integrated lessons.

Then I use Müller's grammar only as a reference.

I know how you feel. Sanskrit is quite easily the toughest language out there, nothing really comes close.
>>
How's learning German here because 10% of all the books ever printed were printed in German?
>>
>>9995616
Agree with everyone else, Borges is tricky. Fun though, I read it before I was ready on a tablet so I could highlight words etc.

Some good novels would be La Casa de los Espíritus, o El viejo que leía novelas de amor
>>
外国語なんてクソ喰らえええええ
数千漢字をむりやり頭に詰め込んでもなんの意味もないだろおおおおおお
全然使えねーじゃねーかああああああああああ
请你马上杀我おおおおおお
>>
>>9998953
> to to
>>
I am learning French. I am picking up vocab very quickly and can read and write fairly well. I am shit at speaking (think too slowly) any tips anyone?
>>
File: 1504633628297.jpg (69KB, 518x750px) Image search: [Google]
1504633628297.jpg
69KB, 518x750px
>>9995057
>native german
>learning japanese (niveau is between N5 and N4 I think)
currently I'm just going over some kanji while on the bus because I take a uni course which ended like a month ago or so and the next semester will start mid oktober which is when I continue learning.
I'm thinking about getting back into learning russian which I learned in school but as it was school the course was unbearably booring and I never did anything for it.
>>
>>9999168
Got any tips for someone who's just starting out?
>>
>>10000826
not him
But actually spent time on learning, best daily
If you cannot manage dedicating an hour daily then just do what you can manage. Learning daily is much more important than binge learning. 5 minutes every day get you further than 4 hours a week, loosing interest after 2 weeks and laying it off for a couple of weeks. Increase the time you dedicate to learning the language over time.
>>
>>10000847
been there done that. I know what burnout is
it happens every time I obsess about something new
I've got pretty solid pacing right now I feel like

I've spent the last month studying for 10-20 mins every day

I was hoping for advice specifically related to 中文 (or maybe some weebs have 漢字 advice for me)
>>
>>9998814
>3 years of hard grinding to still not be 100% fluent
fuck that's depressing to hear as an absolute beginner. I need to learn it eventually but for now I'll stick with Italiano. Fluent English and German but it's my goal to become fluent in 5 languages (French being another) as well as Latin and ancient Greek. An Asian language would be nice too but English, German, Russian, Italian, French, Latin, Ancient Greek, Chinese/Japanese is probably too much for my brain. Anyway any tips for an absolute Russian beginner? I know you might not know, having gotten a leg up from university.
>>
File: 1200px-Mournes_wiki.jpg (143KB, 1200x628px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Mournes_wiki.jpg
143KB, 1200x628px
>>10000877
op here. I'm looking for ESSENTIAL resources that I can post in the next /sla/ thread. so far I'm considering:

https://apps.ankiweb.net/
https://www.memrise.com/

please offer suggestions for other good resources. thanks in advance /lit/.
>>
File: red orchestra 2 free weekend.jpg (45KB, 604x451px) Image search: [Google]
red orchestra 2 free weekend.jpg
45KB, 604x451px
I'm learning Russian. What are some easy books to read through for a beginner?
>>
How do you decide what to learn?

I started Japanese and decided that the effort was so much higher than the return I'd get from it that it wasn't worth it.

I tried Italian, and it's nice, but very niche.

French is one I might try, but I have bad memories from school.

German doesn't seem fun.

I live in England so I feel like something European is the way to go.
>>
>>10001942
http://decidermachine.com/
go random
>>
>>10000877
>3 years of hard grinding to still not be 100% fluent
>fuck that's depressing to hear as an absolute beginner
Don't pay too much attention to this. Everyone has a different definition of what counts as fluent.
>>
>>10000877
no it's not depressing! I understand and read fluently. My speech and writing is very good. I work in Russian and speak in Russian with everyone I know. however, I am not fluent in those areas -- I make mistakes occasionally, and if I were to want to write about a technical topic or use beautiful prose I might have problems. However, I never struggle to get my point across or anything like that. I really think this is the best you can ever be in a second language, if you haven't lived a significant time absorbed in the language. I don't plan on leaving Russia though, so I think in some years my Russian and English will be of the same quality.
>>
>>9995057
>not being taught two languages since kindergarten so your brain develops a strong psicholinguistic schematic.
How does it feel being a filthy monolingual, forever inferior to the plebest of bilinguals?
>>
>>10001942
Latin first. Always.
Then choose whatever you like next.
>>
File: p0335d4m.jpg (71KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
p0335d4m.jpg
71KB, 1200x675px
>>10003081
bit rude
>>
>>9997993
Fluent Persian speaker here, just curious, why?
>>
>>9998676
Same question as other guy, why persian?
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.