[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is Ta Nehisi Coates the James Joyce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 24

File: Ta-NehisiCoates.png (803KB, 2250x1497px) Image search: [Google]
Ta-NehisiCoates.png
803KB, 2250x1497px
of our generation

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/
>>
>IT IS INSUFFICIENT TO STATE the obvious of Donald Trump: that he is a white man who would not be president were it not for this fact. With one immediate exception, Trump’s predecessors made their way to high office through the passive power of whiteness—that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them. Land theft and human plunder cleared the grounds for Trump’s forefathers and barred others from it. Once upon the field, these men became soldiers, statesmen, and scholars; held court in Paris; presided at Princeton; advanced into the Wilderness and then into the White House. Their individual triumphs made this exclusive party seem above America’s founding sins, and it was forgotten that the former was in fact bound to the latter, that all their victories had transpired on cleared grounds.
>>
>>9991687
Coates is such a shit writer. Back when he used to participate in the comments section of the Atlantic, I talked with him a few times (mainly about film), and he was so obstinate that he saw the complete and whole truth that he was completely unwilling to consider any other perspective you would present him - even if it didn't contradict what he had to say!

Anyone who acts that sure of himself in truth is not, and much of his writing exists more as Coates convincing himself of his rightness than it does in making any broader sense or points.

But the zeitgeist of modern American liberalism propels him into prominence.
>>
>>9991726
(I'll amend my statement a bit - he's not actually a shit writer on a mechanical level, but he is not a good thinker)
>>
>>9991737
Agreed. His prose is fair, but his thinking is so profoundly steeped in afropessimistic ideology that he is all but incapable of producing a worthwhile thought.

Back before he achieved the celebrity he now has, I met the guy at a chat session before he gave a talk at my school. He was much more reasonable then, and even conceded that a post-racial society would be desirable when I asked... something I doibt he would address head on today.

I almost feel he is a victim of his own success- he's become an icon in a way that must limit one's ability to be objective.
>>
If you pressed his lips against a glass ceiling would he stick?
>>
File: 1503167429485.jpg (49KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
1503167429485.jpg
49KB, 400x480px
I'm not even going to say he doesn't raise good points, but at the end of the day- what would he have white people do? What does he want?
Even if I felt bad for systemic racism etc, I didn't choose to be white, and it seems unreasonable for me to devote a lot of energy to repentance.
It should be enough that I am not myself a racist.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>9991687
Blackie Black doesn't like not being president anymore. Who would have guessed?
>>
>>9991704
That's actually well written though
>>
>>9992057
The first sentence was particularly profound. I mean, when is America going to get a President who's *not* a white male?
>>
>>9992119
You're being a little bitch with that tone
>>
>>9992205
I'm just agreeing with the genius of MacArthur Fellow Ta-Nahesi Coates's well-written paragraph. Only white men have been President of the United States and I find that fact - the fact - disgusting.
>>
>>9991979
>what would he have white people do?
Yeah, that's something people like him don't seem to bother about: if there is systemic racism, how can we solve it? I do not believe in systemic racism, but if my opponents believe there is and that it is bad, I want to know their solutions.
>>
>>9992221
Inasmuch as I'm responding to your shit post, good job with the bait.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 520x390px
>black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built.

dropped. i'm sure the founding fathers (especially hamilton) were all afro-futurists who based their political philosophies on treatises written by eminent Nigerian scholars—such as the Magna Carta.
>>
>>9992234
Uh, I'm sorry but are you the recipient of a MacArthur genius grant like Ta-Nehisi Coates? What gives you the right to contradict his assertion that only white men can be President? The day that a black man is President of this country and a woman wins the popular vote in a general election is the day I dance on the moon.
>>
>>9992221
Are you this much of a whiny pussy in real life
>>
>>9991687
>whiteness—that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them

what in the everloving fuck does this even mean?
>>
>The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape
Yeah, obviously such things never happen. Except every time. And what about Bill Cosby?
>>
>>9992325
I can write such this article for Bill Cosby, saying that it is only because he is black that he could commit his crimes.
>>
>>9992325
>The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape
Literally over half of all rap music videos
>>
>>9992311
If you're white, it's not like you can control all aspects of your surroundings but you'll at least be able to spin some of the negatives to your advantage. Work on your reading comprehension.
>>
>>9992311
WE
>>
>>9992413
lul
>>
the cruz of his argument, basically that
>trump was elected for no other purpose than to oppress ME! (and my in-group)
is so profoundly narcissistic that i wish TLP were still around to eviscerate it. he certainly raises many valid points, but it's telling that he can only conceive of trump's rise in terms of black-white racial dynamics, meanwhile all of trump's campaign trail tirades were directed against muslims and hispanics. racial grievances obviously played a major role in trump's political success, but the insinuation that it was above all else a rebuke to obama and his blackness is just silly. i think a more realistic explanation lies in fear of islamic terrorism and demographic replacement by hispanics, more an anti-brownness than an anti-blackness.

and of course there are plenty of other factors at play to explain trump's rise, namely institutional ones and clinton's poor reputation/inability to galvanize voters as effectively as her predecessor could.

i'd like to reiterate that coates demonstrates an insightful understanding of white-black racial dynamics. my complaint is that he seemingly cannot envisage an america that operates in any way beyond those dynamics.
>>
>>9991763
The real kicker is that he's not even an interesting "Afropessimist." There are some great Afropessimists who are ornery cunts with good insights because of their orneriness and unwillingness to moderate themselves.

Coates is a fucking windbag who wants to live within the shelter of bourgeois white progressive society, while being whitey's token, non-threatening, safe & sanitized nigger critic. It's depressing.

At least a guy like Spike Jones is just nuts and speaks his mind (usually). Coates knows where his bread is buttered. He knows exactly what he can get away with. He knows how quickly he'd be dropped by the establishment and fall off the face of the earth if he became radical in any way. Uncle tom.
>>
>ctrl + F white
>1 of 197
Damn.
When this racial meme gonna end? Its getting a bit old.
>>
>>9991687
When is Trump finally going to open the gas chambers? Did the liberals lied to me once again?!?
>>
>>9992554
americans being americans
>>
>FUCKING WHITE MALES

Has the irony been lost on him as to his own reason for success?
>>
>>9992565
You really want to deny America the talent and wisdom of MacArthur Fellow Ta-Nehisi Coates?
>>
>>9992581
>MacArthur Fellow

Is that supposed to mean something?
>>
File: 1503172415269.jpg (95KB, 499x372px) Image search: [Google]
1503172415269.jpg
95KB, 499x372px
> giving a shit about what any American, white or black, left or right, has to say

top fucking kek, enjoy your non-issue distraction
>>
>>9991704
That's great writing
>>
>>9991979
I think he would like to see white people actively try to dismantle white supremacy in the US.
>>
>>9992643
But that's an unreasonable request.
>>
I wish I could have the black worldview. Everything that has ever happened and will ever happen is because of the color of my skin. I wish more people had listened to Garvey. Goddamnit.
>>
File: spike.jpg (12KB, 220x235px) Image search: [Google]
spike.jpg
12KB, 220x235px
>>9992523
>At least a guy like Spike Jones is just nuts
how so?
>>
>>9992706
I think my brain maybe did a thing.
>>
>>9992586
it's called "bait". you think he's being sincere?
>>
>>9991979
>>9992699

Black guy here. Can anyone actually explain what the fuck white supremacy is anyway?
>>
File: 1499894173429.jpg (80KB, 740x400px) Image search: [Google]
1499894173429.jpg
80KB, 740x400px
>>9992725
>Black guy here
no one believes you. fuck off white boy
>>
>>9992057
>>9992602
Not a racist and I respectfully disagree. This is disgracefully safe and boring writing from a second rate establishment writer, in form and content
>>
>>9992789
Actually having just read back to myself this clusterfuck of a sentence i relinquish my right to criticise anyone else's style. Fucking hell
>>
>>9992789
>>9992797
kek
>>
>>9992725
It'll depend on who you ask. The State/Patriarchy/White Supremacy are usually stand-ins for the same things but I read Marxist influence into everything.
>>
>>9992797
lmao
>>
>>9991704
i can write better than this.

"Donald Trump became president because he's white, like the people who created the government and country itself."
>>
>>9992821
yfw you realize the jews/cultural marxists are a stand-in for the exact same phenomenon
>>
>>9992643
that's like telling blacks to stop taking welfare.
>>
>>9992826
That's true but the influence is older. There's always "the man" keeping you down. Could be witches, Jews, negroes, interdimensional psychic vampires.
>>
>>9991979
He wrote another article, I think in the Atlantic, about how blacks today still deserve reparations because of slavery and Jim Crow and housing discrimination... He doesn't explain how he believes it should work and doesn't address what the money would be used for or if it would actually make the country less-divided on race. He just believes they should get paid and then it will all be better for everybody's souls.

If each black person was given a check from the government that said Reparations on it, what do you think the outcome would be?
>>
>>9992905
https://youtu.be/FRZN7IzvCVs
>>
>>9992119
A black president? Maybe in science fiction.
>>
>>9991704

literal slave morality
>>
>>9992905
The outcome would be that they need bigger reparations and a law that makes every presidential ticket biracial.

Then they'll start asking for every second presidency to be black.

Then they'll go pretty much Mugabemode.

As much as I dislike Obama, I'm glad that the red, swollen boil that is boomer liberalism finally got popped. They got their weed smoking civil rights president. Total victory.
Now they can focus on their pensions and their anxious sense of disappointment with how unsatisfied their negro friends are.
>>
>Trump’s rise was shepherded by Steve Bannon, a man who mocks his white male critics as “cucks.” The word, derived from cuckold, is specifically meant to debase by fear and fantasy—the target is so weak that he would submit to the humiliation of having his white wife lie with black men
Okay I know it's a 4chan meme but nowhere in the dictionary or the first page of the urban dictionary definitions of cuck or cuckold do they mention that it has anything to do with race. Methinks the Coates doth protest too much
>>
>>9992936
It is used like that by /pol/ memesters however.
>>
>>9992936
He also implies that John Calhoun had capitalist leanings, when Calhoun was in fact something of a proto-Marxist. As was initially said by a few anons: Coates is not a good thinker.
>>
Is there a word for this kind of mannered self conscious American prose? It's not just Coates, so many contemporary journalists have this style.
>>
>>9992971
"bad prose"
>>
>>9992949
It's used by them to mean bad. Anything at all they don't like is cucked.
>>
>>9991979
>what would he have white people do?
He literally wants white people to stop existing. He wants to erase the concept of white people, of Europeans and people of European descent, from reality. He's a hateful and envious man who is going to dedicate his life to the destruction of whiteness because he feels weak and intimidated by the idea of a powerful identity, history and culture that he can't join.

There is nothing you can do to appease him. He claims to want white people's wallets in the form of reparations, but that's not true. He wants to BE white--he wants to be descended from European civilisation, he wants a history of success rather than one of mediocrity and failure, he wants a narrow nose, most of all wants the imaginary benefits he attributes to privilege rather than his own people's inadequacy, and he can't have any of it, so he will settle for tearing his pretended persecutors down

Basically, he's the face of evil. He's a black pit of resentment, envy, and stupidity that will destroy everything that makes him feel inadequate by comparison, which is virtually everything because he is at the bottom of the dung-heap and he is totally aware
>>
File: 1490240676183.jpg (108KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
1490240676183.jpg
108KB, 624x434px
>>9992643

If white supremacy were real, why would I want to dismantle it?

White supremacy would actually be pretty cool for me.
>>
>>9992523
>>9991763
afropessimism is gay, i've read more animating stuff from black nationalist/supremacist writers, at least they write with a passionate hate of whitey
>>
>>9992989
it's used similarly to 'gay'

gay=effeminate=effeminacy=bad/worthy of derision and scorn
>>
>>9993088
This.
I don't know if there was a meeting or something, but the modern left seem to have decided that the most useful thing to do is to persuade white people to think of themselves as a racial group and develop racial consciousness.
Why they do this given their stated goals I don't know
>>
File: ideology.png (254KB, 538x883px) Image search: [Google]
ideology.png
254KB, 538x883px
>>9993168
Because the modern Liberal left is made up of actual white supremacists whose end goal is to create a genocide against Blacks and Jews.
>>
>>9992797
Your sentence isn't even bad. What did you dislike about it
>>
Guys, was Africa before 1776 some sort of peaceful utopia?
>>
>>9991687
Of course this chimp wrote the article. Saw it earlier but didn't notice who the author was.
>>
http://takimag.com/article/the_first_rule_of_white_club_steve_sailer/
>>
>>9993347
Berlin Conference was when Africa was colonized on a massive scale.

To answer that question, NOPE! A lot of slaves that got shipped to the colonies were typiccly captured by other Africans in exchange for stuff. See Kingdom of Kongo or Ashanti.
>>
>>9993347
before colonialism it pretty much was.
oufcourse there was ethnic strif but none comparable to the massive havoc wreaked by colonialism

i got bored in the middle but am glad to have finished the article.
8/10 would read again.
america really is racist, but this was clear since 9/11
>>
>>9993597
>before colonialism it pretty much was.
Cannibalism, pedophilia, bestiality, slavery, ignorance, disease, illiteracy, poverty, and just general stupidity are not characteristics of a peaceful utopia

Most of the 'racism' in Western countries is just unsuccessful brow people attributing their communities' inadequacies to an invisible system of biases which are magically responsible for all their failures in life

America is far less racist than just about every other major power from India to Russia to China, but brown people feel eternally entitled to its accomplishments and institutions so they direct their complaints towards it exclusively

Being a perpetual victim in a benevolent society is a form of power and the grievance caste has well caught on by now

When you think about it, it's kind of obvious, but to realize this would mean a lot of sad mystery meat
>>
>>9991687
Ta-Nehisi Coates is an extremely butthurt nigger with excellent verbal skills.

>>9991979
>but at the end of the day- what would he have white people do? What does he want?
expropriation and elimination of whites. There's no point in feeling bad, were the demographics in their favor we' d have another Rhodesia or South Africa on our hands. Taking negro whining seriously is pointless. Just ask them why they haven't left for Africa yet if American racism is so bad.
>>
>>9993644
>>9993645
also, what Coates identifies as white supremacism ought to be more correctly identified as black inferiorism. Coates is a stupid nigger, so he would probably never notice this, but everyone around the world hates black people. He should see what the Chinese or the Arabs say about blacks sometime. Of course, he'd probably find some way to blame it on white Americans being evil, which begs the question of why he still wants to live around us.
>>
>>9993088
>fellow pepes toiling the field
WTF
>>
Ta Nehisi is a good writer

Joyce is one of the greatest writers though, like he is up there with Shakespeare, Dante tier
>>
>>9991979
He wants white people to not exist. He's been relatively explicit about it but I'm phoneposting and can't look up specifics. Search "people who believe they are white" for some leads.
>>
>>9992325
I realize that TNC is a fucking dweeb but so am I and I manage to be aware that there's a mainstream music genre where "black man brags about sexual assault" on tape is a fucking trope.
>>
>>9994248
I imagine he means the eradication of whiteness in the abstract. I doubt he's calling for genocide or anything like that.
>>
>>9994323
that's what our melanin-enhanced friends want you to think. South Africa or Rhodesia will be closer to reality. make no mistake, PoC are out for revenge.
>>
That was actually a very good article.
>>
>>9992325
post the whole sentence

"The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape (“When you’re a star, they let you do it”), fending off multiple accusations of such assaults, immersed in multiple lawsuits for allegedly fraudulent business dealings, exhorting his followers to violence, and then strolling into the White House."

>>9992333
>>9992413
>>9994270
You fucks are morons who can't into reading comprehension. What the fuck are you doing on a board devoted to literature?
>>
>>9992521
Only worthwhile post in this thread. Most of the rest of you are literal /pol/ tier "race realists."
>>
File: 1477177419924.jpg (18KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1477177419924.jpg
18KB, 500x322px
>soldiers, statesmen, and scholars
>presided at Princeton
>into the Wilderness and then into the White House
>>
>>9992433
Lol. Negatives of what? Don't be so confident your reading comprehension is up to snuff, either.
>>
>>9992521
This. Jacobite has a really good article on Trump's presidency that shows it was less of a reason culturally (e.g. identity politics like most of the Internet partakes in) and more of the fact that Clinton was an awful candidate and your run of the mill normalfags just wanted their jawbs back.
>>
>>9992057
>>9992602
There are some good phrases there, but overall it's poor stuff.
Take this
>that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them
It begins with a vivid and accurate phrase, but abruptly peters out into a "a tailwind for most of them," which is inconsistent, besides being an instance of poor phrasing.
"Passive power," "transpire"
Really, it's just bad prose.
>>
Jelani Cobb is the thinking man's Coates
>>
>>9994993
>This. Jacobite has a really good article on Trump's presidency that shows it was less of a reason culturally (e.g. identity politics like most of the Internet partakes in) and more of the fact that Clinton was an awful candidate and your run of the mill normalfags just wanted their jawbs back.
Which would fail to explain why he mowed through the primaries, even brushing aside evangelical candidates
>>
>>9992825

You failed.
>>
>>9995043
It's actually better writing imo
Clear and concise, sound diction.
"Bloody heirloom," haven't we had enough of these cliches?
>>
>>9992521
underrated post
>>
>>9992521
coates problem is that his entire life lacked diversity, he grew up in all black baltimore raised by black nationalist parents, went to a hbcu (and then dropped out) and then got a job writing "angry blackman" stuff, if he hadn't self-segregated he might not be such a shitty writer, the thing on redlining in chicago or whatever was decent, but that's just journalism, it doesn't make him a literary figure
>>
>the country they built
lol this guy
>>
>>9994506

>strolling into the white house

Except he didn't stroll in, in fact his election was commonly referred to as an "upset victory." Most analysts predicted a win for Hillary. Is it too much to ask for an "author" to know the meaning of basic words? Where was the editor?
>>
File: eazy-e_white_house_george_bush.jpg (69KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
eazy-e_white_house_george_bush.jpg
69KB, 500x370px
>>9994506
>>
>>9991687
>the country they built
eurofag here, I've been seeing this from a lot of blacks, is this just a meme, or is there some truth to it?
like, at any given time, how many black slaves were in the us, and how did their numbers compare to free, white laborers?
weren't they mostly in the south?
and weren't they brought into the US much later than the first settlers arrived?
>>
>>9995741

Any contributions made by black slaves were wiped out during the Civil War fought for their benefit, which was appalling destructive. More Americans died in the Civil War than in all subsequent wars combined, including both World Wars. Fully one fifth of Southern men were killed and huge swathes of the countryside were burnt, pillaged, or despoiled. The Southern economy never recovered, and the South remains poor and backward to this day as a result.

Even in the 1800s slavery was an anachronism and would have died out on its own anyway (cf Brazil).
>>
>>9995741
It really is just a meme. There have always been more whites by a fucking long shot. They were mostly in the South. They've been in the US (and the Americas in general) for as long as there has been work people needed done. They've had a lot more cultural influence (popular culture) than they have experience with nation building in any sense of the word. I'd like to know what positive influence on the country Ta thinks that black people have had. I wish there was at least one Booker Washington type for every Jesse Jackson. So much wasted potential crying about past injustices and having to live by the social contract.
>>
>>9995741
The only things built then that stood the test of time, New York the Hoover Dam, the Transcontinental railroad, etc were built by chinks and irish. They worked in conditions sometimes worse than slavery. Yet today they aren't writing articles in the Atlantic about how because their ancestors had a bad life everyone should feel bad.
>>
>>9996286
but the irish arrived through choice, along with most european and asian immigrants; whereas the africans were by and large forcibly evicted and transported in hulls crammed elbow-elbow with a timetable for eating and breathing

not to say there wasn't an already established slave trade among tribes in africa, an almost valid phantom of the arabs; europe required an influx of labor to meet their industrial needs, and so 'legally' traded materials for tribal prisoners of war and the like, but eventually, the demand grew beyond legitimacy and the europeans took advantage, sewing wars between tribes and eventually kidnapping entire peoples, sewing the seeds of actual

kind of off topic there but there really isn't much comparing the situations of literal slaves and perceived prejudices against white trash.
>>
File: 1504372197012.jpg (111KB, 499x772px) Image search: [Google]
1504372197012.jpg
111KB, 499x772px
>>9991704

its not great writing its flowery rhetorical bullshit painting vivid images attempting to invert the american political body into a malignant tumoric growth that needs to excised as though war were fair and men were equal. what nobody understands about this rotund effeminate adult boy is hes a halfbaked 21st century "poet" making pathetic attempts at political discourse but ends up failing both as a rhetorician and an artist. hes just another resentful preacher.

get plundered you fat lambs: newsflash: we love your cheap labor
>>
>>9992725
well conceptually it is simple. white supremacy means that whites are supreme to blacks or other races. essentially a white supremicist believes he and all other whites are inherently better than all other races. people claim that this leaks into society and some people claim that white countries are all white supremacist countries and laws, traditions and culture are built either entirely or partially on the notion that whites are superior to blacks or other races. this guy claims that donald trump being elected shows that america has white supremacist values and that president Obama doesn't dismiss this claim
>>
>>9996344
>perceived prejudice
Lol
>>
>>9997024
>people claim that this leaks into society and some people claim that white countries are all white supremacist countries and laws, traditions and culture are built either entirely or partially on the notion that whites are superior to blacks or other races.
using the donald trump tactic of pushing claims onto "people", I see.

>white supremacist values
How so? Keep in mind saying America has and America had white supremacist values is vastly different. Laws like Jim Crow are still being felt residually today but that doesn't mean the racist values which gave birth to Jim Crow are still held in any meaningful or influential way today.
>>
>>9996344
>but the irish arrived through choice,
Many of them were offered a choice between starvation under the perpetual tyranny of the british or getting on a ship and coming to a strange land with nothing. that sounds pretty fucking similar to me.

Also I notice you don't mention the chinese who were also literal slaves.
>>
>>9997086
>Laws like Jim Crow are still being felt residually today
lol, imagine being this retarded
>>
>>9997448
>>9997086
>Laws like Jim Crow are still being felt residually today

my reason must allow me to think this is true BUT where are some examples? many of the "systematic" claims of racism give either no concrete contemporary examples or ones that can barely stand on their own. so many of these racist claims are so broad general that it is foolish to take them as legitimate. are we not supposed to judge each other on an individual basis?
>>
>>9991687
>actually uses 'whiteness' as a derogation
>implies DT is a white supremacist but doesn't care to address the fact that DT employs colored people in his cabinet
>''Murica is racist, whites see themselves as the superior race'',in an age where most of the richest people in show-business, sports are black
>Atlantic removes comment section because they know this article is basically guilt tripping an entire generation of white people who've never even thought about racism
>Cries over slavery yada yada, if not slavery, he'd be drinking cow piss in Africa (as the descendant of indentured people, I'm fucking grateful that their suffering allowed me a better life) and shitheads like these race-baiters are always trying to bring back the past
>>
>>9997970

>Cries over slavery yada yada, if not slavery, he'd be drinking cow piss in Africa

Black American gdp per capita, as low as it is, is still leagues ahead of the gdp per capita in West Africa, Angola, Nigeria, the Sudan etc.

Last I checked it's actually on par with some European countries like Portugal or Lithuania.

Personally I'd rather live in California than in an aids infested, malarial, civil war ravaged jungle where the local dictator literally eats people.
>>
>>9997997
They won't understand that.
They talk about cultural appropriation yet they've been appropriating the pain and suffering of their ancestors for decades now, to justify their own laziness and social decline.
People like Coates encourage this languor sadly, they think they're entitled to certain things, yet they can't put it into words, this just goes to show how utterly myopic their understanding of oppression is.
>>
>>9997997
Black Americans also now have a higher average IQ than the African populations they descended from

Granted the black American average is still only like 85 or 90, but it's better than Kenya
>>
>>9993644
>>9993675
This. Coming from a Frenchman. We know what Africans are: jealous, narcistics cunts that only think through the color of their skin.
>>
>>9997955
It's sheer nonsense in 2017, when black americans can obtain admission into very good colleges just by knowing algebra and basic grammar.
>>
The whole intersectional-left (Jewish) narrative is really quite pathetic.

So-called white supremacy is the worst thing ever, but countries that abolished white supremacy like Rhodesia and South Africa shortly went to shit, which would make the Nelson Mandelas of the world, in fact, bad.

White people are immoral for not wanting every person of color to enter their countries, but no justification is given for why they ought to do so. No person is illegal, but people of color object to white Americans stealing the rightful clay of Native Americans and Mestizos, because it's their rightful clay. It would, of course, be wrong for whites to learn from the errors of Native Americans.

White people are all racists, but people of color keep complaining about us not wanting to live around them, yet they keep trying to follow us and demand that more be done to integrate them with us evil racists.

White people are evil imperialists who owe people of color worldwide reparations for past sins. Of course, when expelling children of illegal immigrants from America, it's wrong to punish someone for the sins of their ancestors. Needless to say, an arrangement for complete separation of black Americans from us evil racists in the form of a new country, just for blacks, would be unacceptable

White people are all keeping those plucky browns down, but they have little to show for themselves in their native countries.

The amusing thing about all this is that there's absolutely no reason for whites to care about this shit without a foundation of Christianity. Too bad Christianity is oppressive towards LGBTQ, Muslims, and (most importantly, obviously) the Jewish people!

The diversity religion replaced has Christianity. The Jews have substituted themselves for Jesus, except there's nothing positive left - no salvation, no grace, no forgiveness, just guilt - forever. What a hilarious inversion. Only by self-destruction atonement for the crimes against the Jews be attained. Blessed are the black, the mestizo, the Arabs, anyone with brown skin, really. All of them are on the great Exodus to their (our) lands, to reclaim what History promised them, led by the Chosen, of course.

Yes, all roads lead to Auschwitz with us, even us burgers - we didn't do enough to save the Jews.
>>
>>9991979
Whatever the definition of 'the passive power of whiteness', it simply isn't in a white person's rational self-interest to address it directly in any meaningful way.

Only irrational people would gallop towards disempowerment for one. For two, pressing rational and otherwise non-racist people hard on this issue will just turn them against you.

The only way forward is promoting a post-racial society and equality of opportunity independent of the past, anything else with just increase racial identification and racial tension. We have taken a step back, color-blindness is an ideal worth pursuing.
>>
>>9992433
>some of the negatives

No, it says conjure a tailwind for MOST of them. I would like to hear a semi-exhaustive list of examples because it honestly sounds like handwaving bullshit.
>>
>>9998508
Kek'd

oh wait you're half way serious. Son, the left hates jews and relatively few jews (considering their average education) are leftists.
>>
>nigger tries to write
What more is there to say? Ignore it and move on. Anybody here who is seriously arguing that this coon is just "misled" but "has talent" is either a cuck or a teenager.
>>
>>9992521
I agree to some extent. An astounding number of Trump supporters really aren't racists in the classical sense. They are nationalists, populists, and perhaps jingoists. I think when you drill down into it, xenophobic is too extreme to describe their general sentiment, likewise with anti-brownness.

Demographic isolationism seems to be primarily a factor when it comes to mass immigration generally and illegal immigration specifically. I detect a fairly small amount of bigotry to Hispanic citizens, and only a fear of the prospect of America going from a melting pot to virtually nothing but ethnicity x,y,z. They don't want a Muslim nation, or a Hispanic nation, an African nation, and so forth.
>>
File: jew-chp6-1.png (15KB, 410x417px) Image search: [Google]
jew-chp6-1.png
15KB, 410x417px
>>9999190
Nice try, kike.
>>
File: IMG_4172.jpg (134KB, 654x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4172.jpg
134KB, 654x1024px
>>9991687
>his political career began in birtherism

So this guy either didn't do his research on Trump or is actively distorting facts..
>>
>>9991979
not to sound too /pol/ here, but I think it comes down to total capitulation. The idea is to destroy "whiteness" and fill up whatever is left of one's identity with some sort of loyalty to leftist ideal. I've become increasingly pragmatic about race in recent years and it's now occurred to me the idea that you can just take a population you colonized and enslaved for centuries and then put through hell on top of that and then act like nothing has happened is extremely foolish. Blacks are now gaining power or at least are being empowered to the point where they have a huge say in what the morals and beliefs of white americans should be, on a national level. Whites seem to realize what's happening on at least a subconscious level because even benign causes like BlackLivesMatter or Barack Obama being elected is enough to trigger tribalism. As whites move towards being a minority, they will begin to act more and more like minority. Individualism will diminish.

So what will our "shared" history look like? Either blacks have to worship the monsters that raped them (literally raped their great-great-great-grandmothers en masse) or whites have to disown their own heroes and glories. Races, nations, and religions have committed countless atrocities, with terribleness being the other side of greatness, but in terms of being able to respect history, it only becomes an issue with multiculturalism is introduced. It's only the Europeans who are getting drunk on it, so it's only them who are sacrificing their history to appease their victims (who themselves have histories full of victims, including white europeans).

People like Coates and Spencer are very much on the same page, or the same battlefield. It's the neocon/lib centrists who think we can all just get along through the glue of capitalism who are blind.
>>
if you hate him so much why have you kept a thread about him alive for over forty hours
are you gay
>>
>self pity: the writer
>>
>>9993276
It's confused because I made additions to it without paying attention to structure. The last sentence is poorly ordered. It would have a better flow of ideas as "this is disgracefully safe and boring writing, both in form and content, from a second rate establishment writer." The original sentence has a flow of ideas that is disordered (comment on writing, then on writer, then additional comment on writing), whereas a better sentence would keep the two comments about the writing together, so they aren't split by the comment on the author.

That's a super autistic analysis of it, and I also just didn't like my wording.
>>
>>9993059
That is some excellent prose. Are you MacArthur Fellow Ta-Nehisi Coates by any chance?
>>
>>9995041
Too many candidates. More people voted against trump than for him in the primaries, but it was fractured between a lot of people. By the time the field dwindled it was too late
>>
>>9992936
It serves him as much as it serves /pol/ to ignore the etymology behind its use, it's not about humiliated and emasculated men (that's cool), it's about racism (and that's bad)
>>
>>9999755
Greetings fellow McArthur Fellow ™
>>
File: zanzibar.png (199KB, 352x288px) Image search: [Google]
zanzibar.png
199KB, 352x288px
Leftists in the 1930s: "We need to liquidate the kulaks as a class"

Leftists in the 2010s: "We need to abolish the white race as a social category"

Please, tell me how that doesn't end in mass murder of whites once "minorities" have numbers on their favor.
>>
>>9993059
This is interesting, I follow Shea butter Twitter sometimes and I remember Zoe Samudzi who is herself a bourgeois darling of white liberals tweeting is a self pitying moment the pain of not being recognised by white fuckbois she desires for the KWEEN she is (she has never dated a black man despite the supposed black nationalism)
>>
>>9993059
I think Steve Sailer assessment of him is more on point. TNC was relentlessly bullied by black kids in school for being so culturally white (liked reading, studying, etc). Instead of revolting against black standards of behavior, he internalized this bullying as hatred of everything he associated with white culture, and tries to prove he is black by writing radical literature.

Of course, he fails, no black people care about him in any way or form. His entire readership is composed by whites.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170909-171159.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170909-171159.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>10001307
>Mitt Romney's ____ sure looks like a good place for a ______
>>
>>9991766

pretty good poem
>>
>>9992433
thats not what a tailwind is though
>>
>>10000793
Yeah, we've all heard that excuse. The fact remains that a complete outsider won and it wasn't close.
>>
>>9991704
Being good at writing does not make you good at thinking apparently
>>
>>9991704
What is it with contemporary writing and this obtuse, fluttering, airy prose? Its like a hack cosmopolitan Faulkner it makes me wanna hurl

>...the passive power of whiteness - that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them.
What Godlike prose! Like a prophet from the top of a mountain! I see this all the damn time, you signify some abstract something and you have to immediately pivot away from it to describe it, but can still only do so through wonky ass metaphors. And the word "conjure" fits here like cinderellas slipper on one of her fucking sisters
>>
>>9991979
He wants more power for his people. The end. He's already partly won just by making you, a white man, seriously respond to his ideas.
>>
>>9992554
... its a thread about ta-nehisi coates..
>>
>>10001783
oh look, he does it again a paragraph later
>His political career began in advocacy of birtherism, that modern recasting of the old American precept that black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built.

Just wonderful, bravo
>>
>>10001783
>What is it with contemporary writing and this obtuse, fluttering, airy prose?
>Its like a hack cosmopolitan Faulkner
Jewishness in the Humanities.
>>
>>9991726
>>9991737
>>9991763
>>9992523

/pol/ false flagging as "readers" interested in the quality of his "prose" in order to dissuade /lit/ readers from thinking about his points
>>
>>10002469

and not for nothing but this is textbook rhetoric, which every writer will employ. he has a thesis and defends it with numerous examples that provide several different kinds of proof. white writers do this all the time, but dont get knocked for "bad thinking" or whatever.
>>
>>9992443
ARE
>>
>>10002145
It's such a common tone among contemprary left wing writers.

>I was standing on the sidewalk in front of our building in my bathing suit, still dripping from the lake, and a boy leaving the park asked if I had a quarter. I laughed and told the boy that I don’t typically carry change in my bathing suit, but he remained blank-faced, as uninterested as a toll collector. His request, I suspect, had very little to do with any money I may have had or any money he may have needed. The exchange was intended to be, like so many of my exchanges with my neighbours, a ritual offering.

>When I walk from my apartment to the train I am asked for money by all variety of people – old men and young boys and women with babies. Their manner of request is always different, but they are always black and I am always white. Sometimes I give money and sometimes I do not, but I do not feel good about it either way, and the transaction never fails to be complicated. I do not know whether my neighbours think, as I do, of these quarters and dollars as a kind of tax on my presence here. A tax that, although I resent it, is more than fair.
>>
>>10002627
Almost all contemporary writers of prominence nowadays are left-wing, no? Leftism and Jewishness tend to be joined at the hip.
>>
>>10001783

i dont know what your "prophet on the mountain" thing was intended to accomplish. presumably it's supposed to mock the line somehow, but it only lays bare your own crutched literary imagination. fascists cant even come up with good take-downs, because they're privileged enough not to have to; upper-class ressentiment is always self-justifying.

>wonky metaphor
>the word 'conjure' [doesnt fit]

the whole idea is that being white is like magic: it sprinkles fairy dust over everything you do wrong and makes it acceptable. there is persistent "magical" language used throughout the 1st and 2nd sections—alchemize, amulet, and conjure as you've failed to note—before it returns as "the bloody heirloom" in the last one. try reading more than a paragraph next time before you try and write
>>
>>10002469
>>10002531

I'm the anon from the first two posts you have. I'm calling him a bad thinker because of my past experiences with the man on the Atlantic Monthly's disqus comments, back when he still kept them open (so years and years ago). A good thinker engages with differing views, and doesn't simply ignore and reject them offhand. Coates, while he would participate in the comments, would not actually engage in any substantive way with anyone who wasn't simply parroting back his talking points. Any deviation from his views would at best result in a short response from him talking about you missed his point, even when you didn't. At his worst he would ignore parts of a response and twist others to make it easier to reject. He would do this even with comments that could have been complimentary to the points he was making.

If you want to interpret this as a /pol/ false flag, OK, I guess, but I don't really see where you're getting that.
>>
File: smug nigger.jpg (38KB, 590x393px) Image search: [Google]
smug nigger.jpg
38KB, 590x393px
>>9992789
>having to say you're not a raycis when criticism a blk men
keep that up cracka
>>
File: 1498472374285.png (423KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
1498472374285.png
423KB, 808x805px
>>10001783
>I see this all the damn time, you signify some abstract something and you have to immediately pivot away from it to describe it,
>tfw wanted to articulate this sentiment but too much of a brainlet to do it properly even though I'm a monolingual anglio-saxone speaker
>>
>>10002822
Not a racist but niggers were a mistake.
>>
>>10002836
Well now you have a post to study
>>
File: 1485683396112.jpg (57KB, 751x751px) Image search: [Google]
1485683396112.jpg
57KB, 751x751px
>>10002627

>A tax that, although I resent it, is more than fair.
>>
>>10002469
It would be easier just to post what he wrote there, no argument added
>>
I think he's definitely good but has this one note vibe. All he seems to write about is black issues, which on one level is understandable, but on another highlights the fact that the really important and universal stuff lies beyond any singular identity desu.
>>
Not a racist but all African Americans must be genocided tbqh familia.
>>
>>10001840
>black people built this country
You don't own nuffin, goyim
>>
>>9997997
Actually Angola has a much higher GDP than Portugal and actually provided Portugal a financial bailout to avoid insolvency. Granted, Angola's GDP is generated from natural resources and not innovation and/or intellectual property.
>>
File: 1457484860200.jpg (139KB, 1024x942px) Image search: [Google]
1457484860200.jpg
139KB, 1024x942px
>>10003680

>Actually Angola has a much higher GDP than Portugal
>>
>>9993644
For example;

>the passive power of whiteness—that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them.

This is a projection of the race card he so faithfully employs in the daily twist and turns of his life to achieve success. Going so far as to write a whole book about "the race card" and how whites use it against him. I mean, pease project more, you perpetual victim of perceived injustices.
>>
>>10005578
>the passive power of whiteness—that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them.
God damn this is high school girl tier writing. This is an actual professional journalist?
>>
If Donald Trump's first name didn't start with a D he wouldn't be president.
>>
>>10003680
Not per capita though
>>
>“Race is an idea, not a fact,” the historian Nell Irvin Painter has written, and essential to the construct of a “white race” is the idea of not being a nigger. Before Barack Obama, niggers could be manufactured out of Sister Souljahs, Willie Hortons, and Dusky Sallys. But Donald Trump arrived in the wake of something more potent—an entire nigger presidency with nigger health care, nigger climate accords, and nigger justice reform, all of which could be targeted for destruction or redemption, thus reifying the idea of being white.

That I read this far is making me nauseous.
>>
>>10006214

the bloody heirloom
>>
>>9993597
I bet you think the Americas were utopias before Columbus arrived too.
>>
>>10002730
Conjure is used opposite of ensure. There is absolutely no consistency with the magical language with such an uneven as fuck juxtaposition
>>
>>9991687
>By his sixth month in office, embroiled in scandal after scandal, a Pew Research Center poll found Trump’s approval rating underwater with every single demographic group. Every demographic group, that is, except one: people who identified as white.

this particularly russled my jimmies.

He's using a casual voice to state a fact, then deny himself, in a way that's passive aggressive. That denial makes an exception for white people in a way that both derides and exemplifies White's existence. This attitude ignores that whites are the largest demographic people identify as. And that ignores the fact that this country might have a responsibility to Whites, and the people that identify as Whites, or at the very least, to people who identify with the people who have created and developed this country.
>>
>>10001783
Black "intellectuals" have been doing this for decades. They're basically imitating what smart people sound like to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ROOi5xagxg
>>
File: CyX5i0pUUAAIO7K.jpg (55KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
CyX5i0pUUAAIO7K.jpg
55KB, 600x900px
>its another thinly disguised politics thread
>>
File: 1473387748411.png (27KB, 181x220px) Image search: [Google]
1473387748411.png
27KB, 181x220px
The funny thing is, for all the butthurt anons criticizing the writing of the article, it's about 100 times better--as an argument and as prose--than anything you turds have ever written.
>>
>>9991687
is he a BRAP fag?
>>
>>9992643
only white people can end white supremacy?
sounds like we really were the most supreme after all

;^)
>>
>>10008222
>it's about 100 times better--as an argument
lmao god no
>and as prose
this one's probably true though
>>
>>9991687
holy shit dude is overt racist
>>
>>9991687
>Trump cracked the glowing amulet open, releasing its eldritch energies

Coates is trash Lovecraft-lite
>>
>“Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” Trump was once quoted as saying.

Uhh, quoted by who?
>>
>>9992825
That's not what TNC is saying at all.
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.