[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Came out of retirement just because of the first few chapter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2274.jpg (41KB, 336x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2274.jpg
41KB, 336x499px
Came out of retirement just because of the first few chapter of pic related. So far, Plath's novel is probably the worst 'serious literary piece' I've ever read. I freaking love her poetry & journal entries -- how could she write such a terrible novel? Crossing my fingers that it's intentional.

Esther may just be the single most unsympathetic character I've ever read. I just finished This Side of Paradise and sure, Amory's a bit of a prick but holy crap Esther is just a disgusting person.

She:
-is an unapologetic racist (several racist comments in the first chapter alone)

-incredibly pretentious (meh straight A's, meh too smart for chemistry, meh mental superiority, meh prestigious internship); literally Neil DeGrasse Tyson

-atrocious writer (stilted sentence structure; "and x and y and a; or x or y or z"; uninteresting character descriptions)

-ignorantly judgmental (judges men on height and mocks men who are short; I'm 6'2 so don't think I'm butt hurt; judges her colleagues for stupid reasons; inexplicably judges Catholics)

-vapid

-selfish (vomits on a taxi driver's floor and leaves a few napkins to "clean up the mess"); leaves her help-seeking friend (who tries to help Esther find a guy) on a dirty hotel floor

-nonchalant about her dead father ("oh and uh, did ya know my dad's dea?")

-objectifies men

-doesn't have an ounce of self awareness

Is she intentionally unsympathetic? I trust Plath -- why are the first few chapters so horrible? How can people possibly equate Catcher in the Rye and this shit?
>>
>>9989344
I legitimately think this is about on par with Twilight. And by saying that I intend to both play up the psychological elements of Twilight, while recognizing how much better Plath is as a poet than as a novelist.
>>
>>9989344
>>9989356

>he doesn't understand a very simple book about a mentally ill protagonist

Maybe literature isn't for you
>>
Seems like Esther commits the same crimes of character any person might, while also dealing with a heavy bag of terrible internal conflicts. She seemed real to me, I like Esther, and thought her story was worth hearing.
>>
>>9989344
You wouldn't be this upset if you weren't sub-5'8"
>>
>>9989377
I don't think her character crimes are normal, and even if they are, normality doesn't justify them. If she's as intelligent as she claims to be, how is she so ignorant?
>>
So you're saying the book is a red pill on women?
>>
>>9989409
Since when did intelligence and ignorance inversely correlate? It's possible to be both
>>
>>9989409

>If she's as intelligent as she claims to be, how is she so ignorant?

A lot of people who're genuinely intelligent are hopeless and borderline retarded in many other aspects of their lives. I'm not sure why this is such a shock to you.
>>
>>9989344
>Short bug man detected

Half that shit is why she's one of only acceptable female writers.

Although the bell curve > jar any day
>>
>I didn't like it because I disliked the character
w e w hard to believe we keep having to go over this
>>
>>9989496
Exactly. Hamlet is a mopey, self entitled cunt who destroys everyone around him due to his own vanity but it's still an amazing play
>>
>>9989385
Not OP but I'm 6'3 and that irritates me. A man's height is completely out of his control. To mock or ridicule one for being short is just plain petty.
>>
>>9989363
I'm not OP, but I agree with him. I can understand her mental illness but that doesn't mean I enjoy this book.
Esther is shitty, Plath's telling of Esther's story is (in the first part especially) not exceptional, and on the whole, I think the praise this book gets is seriously unwarranted.

I'm not even a contrarian or a book snob; I love most things I read. I don't /lit/ hive-mind about shit. I just sincerely did not think this book was very good.
>>
>>9989508

If ya didn't like it, ya didn't like it. I have a ton of contrarian opinions myself most people wouldn't agree with.
>>
File: 2ec.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572KB, 600x580px
>judges men on height and mocks men who are short; I'm 6'2 so don't think I'm butt hurt
sure, SURRRRRREEEE you are OP
>is an unapologetic racist
ok nvm you pasted this from goodreads to fish for (you)'s
>>
> OP didn't like it
> I GUESS SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T UNDERSTAAAAND

Plath's character
> lol I'm so random why even have a job xD
> ugh short ""men""

I think she nailed it, desu
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.