[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ thinks about Stephen King?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: Stephen_King,_Comicon.jpg (43KB, 556x707px) Image search: [Google]
Stephen_King,_Comicon.jpg
43KB, 556x707px
What does /lit/ thinks about Stephen King?
>>
His books make decent B movies, but are themselves, very shitty books.
>>
i don't understand why /lit/ hates him
like what about his books are bad?
>>
>>9988727
he should shut the fuck up on twitter
>>
>>9988727
He's "written" about a thousand books so his name isn't a guarantee of anything, but some of them are very enjoyable. I like the way he uses language to describe scenes and objects. Very vivid.
>>
>>9988741
Most just dislike him because he's a cuck on Twitter.

I dislike his writing style because it comes off as someone who failed at being a decent screenwriter and writes books in hopes that someone will screen write for him
>>
>>9988741
His books are way longer than they should be and he can't write satisfying endings
>>
I've never read a king book. If i was to read one, which one should it be?
>>
>>9988741
B I G M A C
I
G

M
A
C
>>
>>9988904
Misery, It, Running man.
>>
His early shit are examples of great storytelling, his writing ability not so much.

Everything after drawing of the three is hit or miss, usually miss.
>>
The single most overrated author of all time. His books are great if you're young, like 12, but if you haven't grown out of him by the time you're an adult, you might as well watch television because it's the same thing.
>>
nice stories but absolute shitty prose
>>
>>9988985
but anon reading his books is like watching television. it's comfy and fun.
>>
Concept-wise, he's actually kind of brilliant. He's capable of creating amazing - and timeless - creatures: the clown from It, the killer car Christine, everyone in The Dead Zone, vengeful Carrie, the killer dog Cujo, Red and Andy from Shawshank, etc. etc.

He just doesn't know when to stop "writing"
>>
File: IMG_2488.jpg (50KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2488.jpg
50KB, 396x382px
>>9988727
>>
>>9988741
Most of his books rely heavily on asspull endings that take all of 20 pages to wrap up. which, considering some of his books are upwards of 800 pages is a kick in the balls. Also, his horror is weak, and lacks teeth. However, Delores Claiborne and Different Seasons are good.
>>
>>9988904
Hearts In Atlantis!
>>
>>9988727
He has written some top tier short stories/novellas.
>>
>>9988952
It is horrible. Read different seasons instead.
>Apt pupil
>The body (stand by me)
>Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption
>The breathing method (the only one that wasn't turned into a movie)
>>
>>9989111
it's advertising to remind u he has a movie coming out soon
>>
File: 1459548343662.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1459548343662.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
He's a hack with nothing to say and nothing to argue. The giants of the past didn't just "tell stories." They put their lives and experiences into a meaningful arrangement that was actually worth something in some way or another. also, see pic related
>>
>>9988727
His good stuff is good but he puts out such volume theres bound to be stinkers. /lit/ hates anything popular
>>
>>9990459
Apt pupil was a movie?
>>
>>9990511
Yup with Ian McKellen and Brad Renfro. Directed by Bryan Singer.
>>
>>9988727
Frustrating is that he is like this almost there but not quite.
He has had some potential to become good writer but somehow he still always fuck up.
He has some interesting premises or interesting world building and then the story gets lazier and hackier and ends with some cop-out.
It is like he just throws in the towel somewhere in the middle of most of his stuff.
>>
>>9988894
THIS so much
>>9990543
The Dark Tower was like this it had caught my attention enough so I trudged on reading but it just kept getting more and more crappier - by the time he had written himself inside his own story it got pretty intolerable. I mean the effin self-importance -- that's a show that something is gone wrong
>>
Stephen King is not a writer. His prose is awful. There's no craftsmanship there. He's just a storyteller. And he's a storyteller who doesn't plot. Meaning that he starts solid but fucks up the pacing and writes himself into a corner, fucking up his endings. So he's a shitty storyteller. His premises and most of his concepts are usually solid but he's a bad writer and a bad storyteller so they amount to nothing which is why the film adaptations have more potential than his actual books. Really at bottom he's just an idea guy but he insists on typing. Yeah that's how I'd classify him. A decent idea guy and great typist but bad storyteller with delusions of being a writer. But hey good ideas are important and typing is a good skill.
>>
>>9990468
Oh yeah he's a doin' that thing with that one Black from west Pakistan.
>>
Love how you infantile faggots can talk such shit but can't write two coherent sentences in a day.
>>
He is a shit writer. Prose written for 6th graders. Just mass-produced rubbish no different than JKR or GRRM.
>>
I'm considering reading The Stand, is it any good? Looking for some of that post-apocaliptic sauce
>>
>>9991624
Projecting much?
>>
>>9991713
First half is the only relatively good shit King ever wrote. Then it breaks down into b-movie absurdity.
>>
degenerate hack whose vile books are an insult to supernatural fiction.
>>
Thoughts on his Dark Tower series? Worth the read?
>>
>>9988727
One of the top airport novelists. Surpassed only by Elmore Leonard.
>>
>>9988727
He's very hit-or-miss. Overall he's not particularly great or awful. His early books are better, for the most part.
>>
>>9991624
No need for name calling, Stephen.
>>
Never read him. Probably terrible writer but a decent story teller.
>>
>>9991800
The fuck is an "airport novelist" anyway? Whenever I travel I read what I normally would. No reason to dumb it down.

Homero was in my captcha which is weird because thats what I last read on a plane
>>
>>9991727
I write more than any of you will, for sure. Stay mad.
>>
I always wanted to read the dark tower but I'm afraid it will be a terrible experience. Is it actually decent or at least fun to read?
>>
>>9991740
This. Spot on.
>>
File: 1503660628126.gif (2MB, 187x155px) Image search: [Google]
1503660628126.gif
2MB, 187x155px
>>9989002
time creatures: Red and Andy.
KEK
>>
>>9992227
I read it as a kid along with many other SK books and greatly enjoyed them, but in retrospect I would've wanted myself to read the classics instead.
>>
Some of his stuff is really really good, like It and short stories and blah fucking blah. The rest is total garbage.

67. (I copy and paste this post into every identical Stephen king thread and simply change my counter to denote how many times I have posted this.)
>>
Any author who is as prolific as he is, is almost always garbage. You just can't churn out that much material and have it be good.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.