[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is sincerity for plebs? The further up the social ladder you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: kongresstanzt.jpg (103KB, 800x482px) Image search: [Google]
kongresstanzt.jpg
103KB, 800x482px
Is sincerity for plebs?

The further up the social ladder you go, the more polite lying you see. Working class people seem to have the idea that it is somehow soulless or corrupt to not air your dirty laundry in public, and that it is cowardly to pretend to agree with someone to defuse tension instead of asking them to "take this outside" (meaning to have a fist-fight in an alley.)

On the other hand, rich people (who inherited their income) tend to see emotional exuberance (for example, extremely emotional pop-singing or method acting) as showing a lack of self-respect. Uppers aren't as self-righteous as they used to be, but they still have this view, and give themselves away by having a cringe response to emotional excess (rather than by making snooty remarks about it.)

Does this dynamic apply in literature?
>>
In the sense that you won't be successful if you don't notice the trends, probably, but I had to think to come to that. Cormac McCarthy lived in poverty for a long time and could well have just checked out. Checkout line authors live in mansions.

Rich people can afford to play it safe. Their goal is to avoid catastrophe. Everyone else has to take risks.
>>
>>9984742
Genre fiction is far more gushy and emotional than actually sincere literature.

I suppose I should be distinguishing between artistic integrity and sincerity. To me, sincerity implies a tell-all, Romanticist attitude, while artistic integrity is a more neutral trait that involves treating the reader as an intellectual equal and not a gawker in a circus crowd.

For example, an exploitative autobiography can be "sincere" but also trash, free verse diary entries can be both sincere and have artistic integrity, and then there are other works that have artistic integrity but also a strong sense of reserve about the author's personal feelings. Racine, maybe? Definitely Flaubert.

>Their goal is to avoid catastrophe.
Probably their main instinct, I agree.
>>
>>9984688
>ITT: the middle class tries to convince itself either side wants to talk and some of its best friends are working/upper class
>>
>>9985462
>wants to talk
What do you mean?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.