[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inexplicably great lines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

I'll start

>Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
>>
>That's where I'd go, if I could go, that's who I'd be, if I could be.
>>
>>9983158
Texts for Nothing?
>>
>>9983162
That's right. I absolutely love Texts for Nothing. I've found on the whole I prefer 1950's onward Beckett to his earlier work.
Reading his short story trilogy (The End, The Calmative, The Expelled) and then reading Texts for Nothing is very rewarding, really shows the start of Beckett's aesthetic shift.
>>
>>9983169
Been studying his later plays for the drama school I'm at and he's definitely a monumental dramatist - my friend is reading his trilogy of novels and says they're enjoyable in the vein of Joyce, even though I've heard mixed things. Think I'll start them next
>>
>>9983184
I've only read Molloy but love it. I'd love to see one of his plays. A friend of mine saw Words a year or two ago and said it was unlike anything he'd ever seen. He described it as a sensory overload despite the absolute minimalism of the play.
The entire theater was dark except for the light being kept on the actress' mouth. Even the EXIT signs were turned off.
>>
>>9983239
Sounds very cool - I love the minimalism of Beckett's stuff... Breath is probably the greatest example - it lasts half a minute and has no characters
>>
I guess I just dump a couple I really like.

>I've never been a coward at heart, although I've always been a coward in action
>This year I am twenty-seven. My hair has become much greyer. Most people would take me for over forty.
>He fell in October, 1918, on a day that was so quiet and still on the whole front, that the army report confined itself to the single sentence: All quiet on the Western Front.
>Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.
>>
>And come a stove boat and stove body when they will, for my stave my soul, Jove himself cannot.
>>
>The only wealth is life.
This CAN be explained, and is a cinch to deconstruct..
>>
>>9983149
The fairness of a law does not consist in its effect being actually felt by all alike, but in its having been laid down for all alike.
>>
It is not shown on any map, true places never are-
>>
>The act is virgin, even repeated.
>>
>Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them.
>>
>As he fell, Leamas saw a small car smashed between great lorries, and children waving cheerfully through the window.
>>
>>9983149
>Only the shallow know themselves.
>>
pur raise gawd fur vittory
>>
>>9984214
Is the thought Chad, then?
>>
>>9984242
this is a wonderful image.
>>
>>9984647
kek
>>
>>9983149
To be, or not to be, that is the question
>>
>>9983873
Alright, time to finally pick up this thing.
>>
Let me hit you with a Dutch classic.

Own translation of the opening line to The Freeloader:

>Apart from the man who thought the Sarphatistraat was the most beautiful place in Europe, I have never met a stranger fellow than the freeloader.
>>
>>9983149
>You should know that there is little you can seek in this world, that there is no need for you to be so greedy, in the end all you can achieve are memories, hazy, intangible, dreamlike memories which are impossible to articulate. When you try to relate them, there are only sentences, the dregs left from the filter of linguistic structures.
>>
File: IMG_0493.jpg (158KB, 563x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0493.jpg
158KB, 563x750px
>I perceive I have not really understood any thing, not a single object, and that no man ever can.
>>
>>9983169
His short story trilogy is wonderful
>>
>of all the words of toung or pin, the saddest are these, "what could've been"
>>
>>9987918
Don't forget about First Love.
>>
>>9983149
>...yes, words were superior; they maintained a superior control; they touched without your touching; they were at once the bait, the hook, the line, the pole, and the water in between.
>>
>>9983184
Aw man Trilogy is one of my absolute favorite prose works ever I reread it about a month ago and I'm gonna try and get through it in french as well sometime soon. I have only read what else is good to start with, his first play sounded like a bit of a mess.
>>
>>9989442
I mean if you don't know Godot you should really check it out but I think it has really got to be seen rather than read - one of the most important plays since Hamlet imho
>>
>>9989442
I have only read GODOT
that should say. The Beckett line that I inexplicably like is
>And yet i have high hopes.
>>
>>9989449
My favourite lines are:
>That passed the time
>It would have passed anyway
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.