[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Deal with him Hemingway.jpg (93KB, 522x279px) Image search: [Google]
Deal with him Hemingway.jpg
93KB, 522x279px
English majors, is Ulysses/Finnegan's Wake mandatory for reading/analysis/studying/exam at your university?
At the public uni in my country people only study A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man, but then again, I live in a country which is collapsed to the buttom.
>>
What are the core texts of Libertarianism?
>>
File: 39457616.jpg (48KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
39457616.jpg
48KB, 500x670px
What are some good books about being a good person?
>>
>>9982712
Anarchy, State and Utopia by Nozick
>>
>>9982718
Brothers Karamazov aka The book of spooks

Great book, honestyl. The only bad thing about it is the trial. Like, nigga, I don't want to read the full story again narrated by some smug lawyers
>>
>>9982132
What is the appeal of realism? Dubliners is proving to be a slog. Is Portrait better?
>>
How to read fast? My reading speed averaged at like 200 words per min. which is probably expected level of an average HS student. I am a college student myself and it's pretty depressing that I may spend couple of months on a book that can be read in 2-3 weeks. I've been quite a lot since like 10-12 years(mostly
encyclopedias for children, geography, history, some philosophy) but as I said my reading speed is really bad
>>
>>9982132

I'm an English major at an Ivy league university and I haven't heard of any classes teaching Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake.

I've read portrait for a class, and another friend has done Dubliners for another. Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake does come up in lecture occasionally, usually in the theory classes I've taken.
>>
Is Das Kapital worth reading? (Not because I'm a communist but because Marxism is a critical part of political theory's development).

Or should I just read the manifesto (already have) and a later analysis of marxism (if so, which?)
>>
>>9983472
Not everyone was made to go to college, but with that attitude you shouldn't and probably won't try
>>
>>9982132
I know Cambridge did analysis for Ulysses last year - I think most won't be daring enough for Finnegans Wake, even the big hitters - It would be very enjoyable to study though, I reckon. Still think it's the best thing to be written in the 20th century
>>
>>9983312
the first time I read Dubliners I didn't really get it either. I was also a filthy pleb and a pseud to boot though. I'm not going to pretend like I'm not either of those things anymore but when I do go back to Dubliners I am extremely impressed by how well written it is. For example, in Araby, he is able to criticize Ireland, accurately describe unrequited love, the process of realizing that the love was not reciprocated, the loneliness that ensues, criticize the church, claim that Ireland is being lulled by the ideal of religion (just as the boy is to the girl), claim that true spirituality cannot be found solely through the church, and indict the British in like four pages. In Counterparts he takes the task of exposing every possible poetic meaning of counterparts while demonstrating the everyday sadness of working class family life in Dublin, and then bleakly suggests that the son will be the same as the father when he grows up and Dublin isn't all that apt to change anytime soon either.
>>
>>9983312
It's not realist :^)
>>
I want to find a copy of the four Confucian classics (四书) that is in classical Chinese but alongside a Mandarin translation. I've read them in English but know some Chinese and want to broaden my understanding of the texts. But i can't read classical for shit.

Does anyone have experience with this or could point me to something like this?
>>
Where can I find a torrent of the entire Western Canon?
>>
>>9982777
thanks.
>>
>>9985669
You're better off going to your nearest metropolitan or university library and looking books up by library of classification number.
>>
>>9982712
David Friedman - The Machinery of Freedom
>>
Which Freud to start with?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.