[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conan the Barbarian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Conan.jpg (50KB, 300x451px) Image search: [Google]
Conan.jpg
50KB, 300x451px
What does /lit/ make of Robert E Howard's original Conan the Barbarian stories?

I was a fan of them when I was around 14 and just recently got around to rereading them. Maybe university lit classes have poisoned me on my outlook, but they seem to be a pretty standard male power fantasy. More than that, Conan has no flaws. He's very strong, yet also fast as a panther. He's savage and ferocious, yet also intelligent, cultured, even erudite. Irresistible to women, he doesn't even have to charm them, they're charmed by his very appearance and nature.

He's never embarrassed or inconvenienced by situations outside of his control. He never really encounters any situation he can't escape from or hack away.

I know at the end of the day they're just power fantasies for teenagers, but is there any value or analysis I'm missing in it? I really want to like Conan.
>>
Why do you want to like it then?
>>
>>9981698
>cultured, even erudite
Only at the latter stages of life, when he's king.
Also he does have flaws, he can be a prick at times, and is often working for the villain of the story. He then battles them when they refuse to pay him. His morals are more often than not about money.

If there is any themes it's thought that the stories are about civilization vs barbarism. But I think it's really about city folk vs rural people like those he lived with in Texas.
>>
>>9981698
I always thought this type of analysis was really shallow. What's a flaw? Doesn't the meaning of that vary from person to person? Some people think being an asshole is a flaw while another person might say it's admirable.

Conan struggles in his books right? He's put in dangerous situations. What's the problem than?
>>
>>9981698

Conan stories are amazing for what they are. Try Bran MacMorn (probably spelled that wrong) if you want a Howard character that is a bit more down to Earth.
>>
>>9981698

And what's wrong with having a male archetype that's a superhero?
>>
>>9981698
It's just entertainment. Imagine being a 15 year old kid in the 1930s and reading The Tower Of The Elephant on a Saturday morning. Sword fights, thefts, women, monsters, and an action man protag. His strong suit was writing action scenes and he is still a good working reference for how to do violence in genre books.

If you want something more sophisticated and literary then look at the fantasies Clark Ashton Smith was writing for the same magazines as REH.

Or there is Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser who cover similar ground as Conan but with more camaraderie and humor - Leiber being an overall better writer than Howard IMO.
>>
File: LAST_PAGE_SAVE_RAID.jpg (306KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
LAST_PAGE_SAVE_RAID.jpg
306KB, 1920x1200px
>>
File: damage.png (3MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
damage.png
3MB, 1500x1125px
Nothing wrong with power fantasies for teenagers. Except you can't stay a teenager forever.

Most of lit tries, tho.
>>
>>9981698
The prose is a joy to read. The adventures are appropriately fantastic. I think if less words were devoted to jacking off on how great Conan is it would be a near perfect set of adventure stories.

I think it's just fine to appreciate the Conan stories as works of craftsmanship.
>>
Toxic masculinity.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.