[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of self-publishing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: KDP.jpg (12KB, 404x170px) Image search: [Google]
KDP.jpg
12KB, 404x170px
What does /lit/ think of self-publishing?
>>
Publishing is such a mess right now I think SP is just about the only way to go. No agent or publisher really knows what's good or bad (unless it's painfully, painfully bad).
>>
I feel like there's a chance for success, but the trouble is there's just so much stuff being self-published now that I worry the chances for that success are very slim. It feels like if you self-publish you have to be savvy about marketing and self-promotion, and I, at least, am not sure I am.
>>
>>9981435
Publishers do a lot of the work for you (proof-reading, cover art, marketing and of course the actual printing and distribution) but nowadays, there's nothing really stopping you from self-publishing.
>>
Seems cool, has anybody ever become a 'proper' author after self-publishing in the internet age because of self publishing?
>>
I self-publish my stories, it's alright. Good services exist who don't rip you off. Problem with self-publishing is that it's even harder to reach an audience because the barrier to entry is so low. So lots of drivel. Few gems in the loo.
>>
>>9981435
>>9981857
I think the small press is the only respectable publishing at the moment. Everything else is one degree of trash or another.

>>9981909
Yes, but strangely enough they're all bad writers. Like Andy Weir.
>>
>>9982304
Depends. If you want name respectability then self-publishing will not give it. If you want a cheap way to sell your work online and keep the rights + lion share of the profit, then it is.

Like you mention, anyone can self-publish so you don't get the respectability that publisher curation gives.

In regards to your other point, I think book publishers, like film companies, are still too risk-averse. They'd rather have a trope-filled winner than something daring and unique.

Profit motive always rules, sadly.
>>
>>9981909

Anthony Ryan
>>
Where should I publish my articles? There should be a service where people can submit short writings, like SoundCloud for literature.
>>
>>9981435
Refuge of the untalented by and large.
>>
File: 34875382.jpg (37KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
34875382.jpg
37KB, 316x475px
>>9983187
The Reflection Collection is a metamodern masterpiece.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>9984002
Is self-published which makes it pertinent to the thread.

Some golden nuggets:

'Poverty doesn’t magically solve itself in capitalism; you can only make money when you have money—and the time, means, and space to use it efficiently. Working double jobs to barely pay the bills doesn’t give you either of those.'

'Chance is no mere happenstance,’ the announcer began, ‘you have been brought to the Aukwood Preventive Rehabilitation Centre for your own and others’ safety. Remember: The chance of a violation becomes a certainty over time. When the chance exceeds the mandated threshold, rehabilitation takes place as if the act has already been committed. We save yourself from trouble.’

'Can Monkeys on typewriters throw a wrench into what’s dubbed the fruits of brilliance?'
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.