[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Loeb Classical Library

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Loeb Classical Library 00.jpg (739KB, 4000x2248px) Image search: [Google]
Loeb Classical Library 00.jpg
739KB, 4000x2248px
Are these any good? I was considering buying the Hesiod volumes; is there a better option?
>>
>>9981352
I bought their Ennead, which is the only unabridged version available and from the limited amount of time I've spent flipping through them they seem alright.
>>
The books are tiny, not that great quality and unless you're trying to learn greek/latin not very useful.
>>
>>9981365
Everyone on this board should be trying to learn Greek and Latin.
>>
>>9981365
When you say tiny, how big are we talking here? Pocket-sized?
>>
>>9981370
Yeah pretty much, maybe a bit bigger but still small.
>>
>>9981352
The Oxford World's Classics edition of Hesiod is a better bet, probably. I have the Loeb edition of Diogenes Laertius because there's no other edition available, and it seems pretty good. I love old typesetting, at any rate.
>>
I just got one on all of the Homeric Hymns and Homeric Fragments, haven't read it yet besides flipping through a few pages. Loeb seems like they have the best compilations of all available works on classical authors.
>>
>>9981379
I was looking for something in a hard cover, preferably cloth, but if OWC's edition is better I may pick it up second hand.
>>
>>9981352
I have no clue about the Hesiod, but in general the translations are hit-or-miss - this was especially true with Plato and Aristotle. I used them for Greek reference only, and would recommend them for that.
>>
File: IMG_20170905_152406.jpg (2MB, 3004x3363px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170905_152406.jpg
2MB, 3004x3363px
>>9981370
I didn't have a ruler so here's one to scale with a AA battery.
>>
They're the standard if you actually want to read the original text. If you only want the translation though you'd be better off with something else.
>>
>>9981352
Their Hesiod is the only edition I know of which includes all of the minor works. Won't be an issue if you just want theogony/works+days, but may be something to keep in mind if you want to read more of him later.

In general Loebs are excellent. As others have said the translations vary in quality and would probably offer plenty of points of contention in heavily disputable texts (philosophy) or those appreciated aesthetically (poetry). Loeb's aim from what I know is to provide a literal, lucid, academic translation. Some early 20th century editions are stilted, but most are fine, and some works have been getting renewed translations in the past few years with a more conscious direction towards accurate but also appropriate English, e.g., no more of the "thee" and "thou" which you may find in some of the older translations.

In general Loebs fill two purposes: (1) reading the original language, (2) reading translation of something that no other publisher translates to English. They're expensive when compared to "normal" publishers and so should only be bought when necessary unless you hate money. Oh and a heads up, half of the page count is the original Greek/Latin. These books are not only small, but short.

For even moderate level Greek/Roman reading in translation, you won't need to ever buy these; you can get Caesar, Herodotus, even all of Plutarch's lives for much less from Penguin, Oxford, and Modern Library. But if you read enough you'll eventually get to a point where literally nobody else has ever translated the shit that you're reading. That's when you buy loebs.

>>9981365
>not that great quality
lol bullshit
Compact books, solid binding, cloth covers, great paper. Just remove the dustjacket when reading because it may tear.
>>
>>9981352
Only if
>you can or want to read latin/greek
Or
>its some obscure book and only loed really publishes it.
>>
I see much shitting on the quality of Loeb translations, which is absolute nonsense. Especially the newer editions are very good, for instance the Euripides editions by Kovacs.
If you want to buy Hesiod, some considerations:
Loeb has the original text, in an authoritative edition. The translation is good, you would have to be a classics scholar to feel the difference with other prose translations. See review here: http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2007/2007-03-31.html . There is no better-looking option.
>>
Good for cribbing, that's it
>>
>>9981789
Lol, thanks anon. That's helpful.
>>
Thanks to all of you anons. I know enough now to make a decision - I appreciate the feedback. I half expected this thread to hit the archive with one reply.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.