[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the history of an idea as important as the idea itself? Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 1411458306691[1].png (36KB, 666x408px) Image search: [Google]
1411458306691[1].png
36KB, 666x408px
Is the history of an idea as important as the idea itself?
Why?
>>
>>9977862
Because all Philosophy is a thinly-disguised means to intellectually dominate others with a logic system framed to exalt your preferred conception of the world
>>
It is when it suits my needs and it isn't when it doesn't.
>>
>>9977870
Holy shit that's the most postmodern relativist bullshit thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>9977862

>implying the history of the idea isn't already subsumed under the idea itself
>>
>>9977907
See look, I'm already triggering a /pol/tard and
>>
>>9977913
in english, doc
>>
>>9977862
all ideas are just copies of earlier ideas

Tom Sawyer is literally Don Quixote
>>
>>9977862
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>9977974
Not him but all ideas necessarily contain implicitly the histories of themselves, but I think he misunderstood that the question was getting at the importance of understanding, in full and not merely by outcome, the history that lead to the creation of the idea
>>
>>9978019
>Not him but all ideas necessarily contain implicitly the histories of themselves

How are you defining idea here?
>>
>>9978019
>Not him but all ideas necessarily contain implicitly the histories of themselves
do they? when someone thinks about a book do they necessarily ponder over the role of gutenberg and chinese printers on the medium?
>>
>>9977907
Just read philosophy and you'll find it to be more or less true. Not entirely true but in a general sense, definitely.
>>
Think of it in relation to Foucault, he wanted to find times when humans were happy and then examine what was different. One idea could be power and how it was applied to people back in the day compared to how. Ideas might have been applied to human life in such a way that benefited us more than the current idea.
>>
>>9978038
Of course not, hence the 'implicit'
>>
>>9977862
Why do people think analytics don't engage with the history of ideas?. A continental attempting to understand the history of the question of Being in order to frame the problem properly will turn to the past. An analytic trying to understand the epistemic status of the scientific method will turn to the history of science. Why the hostility?
>>
>>9977907
Just read Rorty, stupid faggot.
>>
Well, according to /lit/ you wouldn't be able to understand the idea itself, without properly knowing the history of ideas that built up to it.
>>
>>9977984
In what way is tom Sawyer like Don Quixote?
>>
>>9977870
Are you a trumptard?
>>
>>9977984
Have did the first idea form?
>>
>>9979116
Prehistoric people fucked your mom.
>>
>>9977870
philosophy proves that we can't have it any other way though.

unless you're a math autist i guess.
>>
why the fuck muricans use term continental philosphy? in europe we dont use it.
>>
>>9979166
In Europe you also don't use your cocks.
>>
>>9979183
yeah, we are not animals
>>
>>9979166
why the fuck europeans use the term american football? in america we dont use it.
>>
If the final purpose of the idea is to be put into practice, then it is important. We have to see how it did when tried and then either adjust it or dispose of.
>>
>>9977870
i hope you're joking
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.