[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Twilight Worth Reading if I'm Into Vampire Fiction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Twilightbook.jpg (24KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
Twilightbook.jpg
24KB, 331x500px
I am something of a completionist, in this case, for notable works of vampire fiction. However, what did you think of the Twilight books? I have not read them, or seen the movies back when they were massively popular, because I was contrarian to the idea that I should do something because it was popular. Now that I've bumped into this, should I read it? Has the Twilight series contributed anything worth pointing out to the genre of Vampire fiction? Has it innovated it in any way? What did you think of the movies, in relation to the books? I am OK with some spoilers, to be honest, as long as it backs up your points.
>>
>>9977555
If you want recommendations for some good vampire books then just ask.
These books are awful and not even enjoyable in a so bad it's good way, just plain bad.
>>
>>9977573
Well, I have often seen them heavily criticized on places like IMDB, and Yahoo comments. I am wondering though, just how did it become so popular around ten years ago, and did it contribute anything worthwhile to vampire fiction as a whole? I meant to analyze it in a serious manner. I'm getting the impression that this is seen as low-brow entertainment for mostly younger girls and teens.
>>
The description that I've heard about Twilight (some of you may have heard this, too...) is that it's just "safe for work" erotic literature for young girls and young-at-heart women. The erotic part is what made it famous (and why 50 Shades was fanfic of it), even though unwitting observers like us think girls actually read it for its awful prose. No, it's for the description of perfectly sculpted hot guys.

Literally don't waste your time with it.
>>
>>9977604
So then, we have a book series whose appeal relies heavily on how apparently good looking the main characters are? Is there an overarching storyline that is at least somewhat interesting, or is the attractiveness thing all that Twilight seems to do with vampires? Traditionally, vampires are seen as repulsive creatures, yet Twilight seems to turn away from that convention, but only for this reason?
>>
>>9977613
The vampires are more like sexy 90s movies vampires, and the main story vampires don't eat meat because they still follow human morality rather than the rest of the vampires' realized predator nature basically. This isn't important to the storyline at all, its just the justification for the main vampires to exist, and for Edward's obsession with the main girl Bella. This could potentially be an interesting set-up but no, it's really just a tool to set up the sexualization of their superhuman traits. Actually, the main guy reads minds, but throughout the book this ability isn't used more than to explore Bella's friends and his family's minds by *accident* sometimes for plot development. The plot consists of them wanting to fug but can't because his dick is too strong basically, so she has to turn into a vampire to be with him but he doesn't want her to stop being the same girl besides her ability to be better looking and immortal after the change. The writer is a fat mormon housewife so she wrote this to get off to basically

I read all the books in the 6th grade
>>
>>9977702
Thank you for your summary. It seems that I could do with skipping this one, if it is of little substance to the vampire genre. I think I'll go read George R. R. Martin's vampire novel instead. He wrote in the 1970s or 1980s, and I've been meaning to check it out.
>>
>>9977721
Its of little value unless you are interested in seeing what teen lit is about. Sorry, wish I knew more vampire genre books for you but all I really know is the smut I liked as a kid.
>>
>>9977702
I also read the first book in 6th grade. I don't remember much, just the description of the setting being dark, rainy, and cloudy 24/7, allowing vampires to go outside as often as they felt like. Must have been Seattle. Other than that, I don't believe there was much action or intrigue other than Bella being a horribly average female being lusted after by an incredible man. Cut and dry romance novel aimed towards young females. Instead of Fabio with a long, glorious mane it was an actual superhuman, as anon said.

If you remember when it was a thing and heard girls talking about it, the prevailing feelings were "I love Edward" and the like. I don't think anybody lied to me and said they enjoyed the complex characterization.
>>
Yes, unless you are a book critic and want to be snob. Just try to get the appeal, stay away from reviews or they will eat your brain.
>>
File: 31107466.jpg (43KB, 270x437px) Image search: [Google]
31107466.jpg
43KB, 270x437px
Ever tried Charlaine Harris' "The Southern Vampire Mysteries"? From what I've heard it fits between Meyer and Rice as schlickfic.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.