[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know you should Start with the Greeks...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Raphael_School_of_Athens.jpg (2MB, 3697x2414px) Image search: [Google]
Raphael_School_of_Athens.jpg
2MB, 3697x2414px
But where do you start with the Greeks?

What authors, philosophers, and works are both beginner and must reads?
>>
>>9974663
I would start with Plato's Gorgias, then read his Republic.

Then go to Aristotle read his Ethics, and Politics

The go to Xenophon read his writings on Socrates and Cyrus.

Obviously also a goos idea to read Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian war and Herodotus's Histories.

After you read all this give Leo Strauss's "The City and Man" a read.
>>
Histories, the Homeric epics, Mythology by Hamilton... Pre-socratics and sophists, then Socratic dialogues via Plato
>>
>>9974663

The Iliad
The Odyssey
Prometheus Bound
Oedipus Rex
Antigone
Lysistrata
>>
>>9974663
starting with the greeks is a meme. you should read culturally relevant books to become acquainted with the common parlance of your culture. If you're British read the King James Bible, read Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens, etc. Read Homer and a few greek plays but don't get autistic about it.
>>
>>9974663

First, learn the modern Greek alphabet, cold. 24 upper-case characters, 24 lower-case characters, and a handful of degenerate characters. Learn what isopsephy is and take note of the similar systems of gematria (Judaism) and abjad (Arabic)

Presocratics (Waterfield)

Iliad and Odyssey (pick one)

Plato (Hackett)

Aristotle (Oxford, two Vols.)

Euclid, Elements (Heath, Dover. The B&N omnibus is literally the same thing and economical, so don't stick your nose up at it without knowing what its content actually is)

Apollonius, Conics (Springer has certain editions but a very attractive recent edition is due to Green Lion, New Mexico)

Various histories.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.