[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommended books on philosophy of (modern/pomo/contemporary) art?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Recommended books on philosophy of (modern/pomo/contemporary) art?
>>
File: modern art.jpg (43KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
modern art.jpg
43KB, 500x332px
be progressive (left)
be authentic (excrements, sex drive)
thats about it
>>
>>9972464
Schiller
Bachelard
Paglia
Ayn Rand for anti-aesthetics
>>
>>9972469
>Schiller
I didn't know that postmodernism was invented in 18th century.
>>
Plato - Hippias Major
Hume - Of the Standard of Taste
Kant - Critique of Judgement (almost a direct counterpoint to Hume)
Dewey - Art as Experience
Beardsley - The Possibility of Criticism
Nelson Goodman - Languages of Art

Croce and Collingwood are also important, although I'm not as familiar with their work.

It's a difficult topic to restrict to a single work, most important philosophers have touched on aspects of the aesthetic in elements of their other work, but it only came into being as an actual "branch of philosophy" in the mid-20th century.
>>
>>9972464
Danto. Read Danto.
>>
File: David.jpg (50KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
David.jpg
50KB, 317x475px
>>9972464
Pic related are good too!
>>
>>9972464
Theories and Documents
Art in Theory 1900-2000

>>9972665
Thanks, gonna get this. Just got Deleuze book on bacon, I'll read that after
>>
>>9972665

Completely unrelated to this post by this anon, I just happened to look up a video of Francis Bacon being interviewed by the same guy a few nights ago-I bet the material for the below link is included in the book that that anon posted. I ended up giving it my full attention for its whole 20+ minute duration, not expecting to have done so. Very, very good interview. Bacon is naturally being cagey and trying not to get boxed in too much to the narrator's interpretation of things (a valid technique for any artist under the microscope) but at the same time he's also not being a :^) - tier "I'm a mysterious snowflake" cunt to the interviewer (artists do this frequently). Basically Bacon artfully and politely parries many of the interviewer's questions and makes similar if distinct suggestions. Bacon seems to slightly put up a mask (my interpretation of his very proper manner) and put on airs (again typical of an artist, especially a gay one), without laying it on too thick and while actually talking to the guy and good-faith engaging his questions. The interviewer and Bacon even literally end up in bed together, kek

The video has the added benefit of containing a great reaction image .gif in its opening seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFMH_D6xLk
>>
>>9972765
I tried to read the Deleuze book on Francis Bacon, but i failed ):

Up to try again someday.
>>
>>9972468
ayy lmao
>>
File: sylvester.jpg (52KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
sylvester.jpg
52KB, 1200x630px
>>9972798
David and Bacon were close friends. David Sylvester is a good critic, anyways. There's this coletctions of essays, if someone wants (pic related)
>>
>>9972919

That figures. Since the artist wasn't being cunty to the interviewer and the two seemed simpatico to the point of the bed-sit, I figured that they were on something like genuinely friendly terms, at least.

Sylvester's name is vaguely familiar. I'm pretty sure that he authored the big hardback survey of Bacon from my old uni library that I checked out a few times, where I first learned the interesting details of Bacon's personal life.

It was an interesting life, and a good one to read about, but not one that I would want to have lived. All memes aside, the torture of it does come out pretty clearly in the art.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.