[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ - pls give me permission

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: index.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
Are there prerequisites to this? I ask because I've "started with the greeks", but like to read things on the side too that aren't necassarily western cannon, or that would benefit too much from having more literary background.
>>
>>9971476
Oh, and also where do I pick up those fine sticky notes? I think they're transparent
>>
>>9971476
no

its an easy read, very cartoonish at times
>>
As long as you can read at a high school level you can read IJ.
>>9971479
Any office supply store should have them near the sticky notes, but you shouldn't need them. That picture is someone marking every mention of a color with the color.
>>
>>9971522
>mention of color
I read that actually, after chasing a few links to find out what the product was. I was planning on heading to an office supply store for some normal thin sticky notes (not for infinite jest necassarily, but just for slick annotations), and those seemed neat - though I don't know if you can write on them with pen/pencil. At any rate, it'd be more convenient than my current method of keeping a seperate sheet of paper apart from and outside the book.
>>
And thanks for the responses fellas, will be reading it very soon.
>>
IJ tries to defeat you with an incomprehensible beginning.

dont give up until about 400 pages in. if youre still not enjoying, drop it.
>>
>>9971533
Post-it sells them as "flags", and they say you can write on them with a pencil or pen, but they aren't thick enough for thorough notes.
>>
There's nothing really difficult about IJ. It's just long and long-winded. Some passages are just absolutely incoherent depending on who's narrating, but it's written that way for a reason.
>>
>>9971687
how do u personally determine when a book is no longer worth reading?
>>
>>9971907
If you don't want to keep reading it.
>>
You need to play Tennis before reading it. Either that, or you can just dive into the water.
>>
>>9973082
man I've been having this strange urge to play tennis so badly lately, thanks anon. But really, ever since reading Lolita I've been dying for some tennis and I've never played before
>>
>>9971476

people saying it's an easy read - true, but only compared to other pomo writers. it's still not a breeze imo, because the narrative is jumbled, the style is maximalist and with a chockful of weird 'he just picked this out of the dictionary at random' words or even invented words, there are stream of consciousness bits, there are essayic parts, etc etc. my advice is, be aware of all of these literary devices before jumping in.
>>
>>9971476
Why has nobody mentioned the importance of Hamlet?

Read Hamlet before Infinite Jest, trust me. Aside from that, not much else.
>>
>>9974139
because it's not that important. you can still get 100% of the plot of IJ without having read hamlet
>>
>>9971476
It would probably benefit you to start with his short story, "Good Old Neon," because it's essentially the psychological premise of many of the characters in IJ.
>>
I've talked to two different literary professors about this, after reading ~250 pages.

One agreed with me, and said she dropped it quickly because it sounded like the ravings of a madman. The other said he's read it multiple times, studied it in depth, and wrote two papers on it. He ALSO agreed with me and said it was not worth reading in any sense.
Don't get meme'd into reading this book.
>>
>>9974989
Man it's fun, and not at all incomprehensible
>>
File: dd4.png (210KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
dd4.png
210KB, 600x600px
>Greatest mind of his generation
>Commits suicide
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.