[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good books on alchemy? Not necessarily the history of it,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Any good books on alchemy? Not necessarily the history of it, but more like a compilation and explanation of symbols and their interaction. From my quick google search I fear there are a lot of inconsistencies and contradictions, so I'm asking what to get and what to avoid.
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>9970263
I also want to know, for research purposes.
>>
>>9970263
Early alchemy is a clusterfuck. You're better off with secondary literature like "Secret teachings of all times" and such for a comprehensible introduction. If you want primary texts, I recommend the works of Paracelsus.
>>
>>9970263
Bump
>>
Did any of Newton's alchemical works survive?
>>
>>9970263
It seems like there are a lot of inconsistencies because there ARE a lot of inconsistencies. It's a pseudoscience so there's nothing to stop anyone from making up their own special snowflake ideas. That said Jung's Psychology and Alchemy might interest you
>>
>>9970263
Medieval and Renaissance alchemy is entirely grounded in the worldview of Aristotelian physics, Ptolemaic astronomy and Galenic medicine.

As these paradigms were thrown out entirely during the Enlightenment era, alchemy became radically misinterpreted, as is the case with modern authorities such as Mary Anne Atwood and Carl Gustav Jung.

An important thing to keep in mind is that when the Arabs got hold of the Greek works, Aristotle became heavily transformed in their hands, and many Europeans inherited this image.

There is, for example, a work which went under the name of Theology of Aristotle, which were in fact a paraphrase of Enneads IV-VI by Plotinus. A more relevant example would be the Secret of Secrets, a treatise where a purported Aristotle teaches Alexander the arts of astrology and alchemy.

The classical worldview - from Late Antiquity Hermeticists and NeoPlatonists, Medieval Muslims and Renaissance Christians - considered the stars as the agents of God, being the efficient causes of everything terrestial.

There is a tremendous background study to be done in order to faciliate a proper understanding of alchemical imagery. With that said, I have something up your alley.

>The Great Art, Dom Pernety

This is a mighty fine work and an excellent introduction to the classical worldview. Hands down the best introduction availiable. After that, check out these two. The same author has written a dictionary on alchemical symbolism, though I haven't gotten around to read it yet.

>Commentary on the Mutus Liber, Adam McLean

Adam McLean is arguably the greatest authority on classical alchemy of this day. This is an exposition of the imagery of the well known Mutus Liber.

>Archidoxes of Magic, Paracelsus
>The New Chemical Light, Michael Sendivogius

Although Paracelsus rejected the authority of Aristotle and Galen, this work is an excellent foray into astrology. Michael Sendivogius on the other hand will clear several things up. Quite useful.

>Summa Perfectionis, Geber
>New Pearl of Great Price, Petrus Bonus

These two are heavyweights in the world of alchemy. Dense, but rich.
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (593KB, 963x547px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
593KB, 963x547px
>>9970576
Thanks a lot, my man.
>>
>>9970263
the alchemist
>>
Don't know if this fits here but this guy explains a good deal of mental alchemy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eglTE8ijhF8
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.