[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly defines Continental philosophy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Hegel.jpg (181KB, 452x572px) Image search: [Google]
Hegel.jpg
181KB, 452x572px
Analytic is easy to define, just analysis, conciseness, an approach based on logic/mathematics, etc. What then fundamentally constitutes or defines Continental philosophy? Is it just anything that doesn't fall under the umbrella of analytic philosophy?
>>
File: continental philosophy.png (59KB, 1399x441px) Image search: [Google]
continental philosophy.png
59KB, 1399x441px
>>
>>9966779
But the fourth point is completely unnecessary, as the success of the natural sciences did not supplant or eliminate philosophy. Just look at the philosophy of science, particularly of physics, in the analytic tradition. If anything, science and philosophy are continuous. Continental reevaluation isn't necessary
>>
People won't like this, but IMO continental philosophy's defining trait is that it's written as a game – it's completely involuted and obsessed with its own tradition, and the idea is to come up with cleverer and cleverer ways of subverting that tradition, deconstructing it and rebuilding it, over and over again. Continental philosophy has no content or purpose outside of this self-referential academic game. It's like a heat sink for intelligence, a high form of mental athleticism.
>>
>>9966904

I feel that reevaluation is necessary in terms of morality and ethics in philosophy. I do agree though that maybe metaphysical philosophers post Kant can get a little tedious though
>>
>>9966991

isn't putting kierkegaard with derrida under a blanket term like "continental" kind of reductive? i feel that though both are abstract one is looking for clarity (kierkegaard) and one is abstract clarity (derrida)
>>
>>9967104
Kierkegaard is an interesting case – I'd more put him with Nietzsche and Wittgenstein, smart guys with profound personal problems that they tried to project onto philosophy. I think that they, unlike most continentals, had external impetuses for their engaging in philosophy (albeit relatively solipsistic ones limited to their own emotional life).

Not to say that someone like Derrida isn't sublimating his feelings of exclusion in his libidinal anger against dichotomies. But he, I feel, is completely within 'the game' – continental philosophy says, 'there is nothing outside the text.' The tradition has no external impetuses, it's it's own self-caused and self-generating reason for existing.

Kierkegaard predates this complete envelopment, which is presaged in Kant and especially Hegel.
>>
File: hnr.png (116KB, 574x562px) Image search: [Google]
hnr.png
116KB, 574x562px
>>9966754
>Exactly
There's your problem, pal. Philosophers don't give a fuck about exactitude in that sort of definitions.
>>
>>9966904
Your lack of kantism is showing. If you think philosophy should restrict itself to the narrow aspects of thinking that can be progressive, then you're missing the interesting and important parts. Non-objective thinking is the most relevant to continental philosophy and its repercussions on scientific thinking or
>continuous philosophy
must be studied.
History is not a sequence of causes and consecuences. Neither a chronological compilation of facts.
You need more romanticism in your life.
>>
none of the things you listed are comprehensive of analytic philosophy as a real, historical set of texts and figures. "Analysis" doesn't mean anything by itself, and conciseness and logic/mathematics are pretty irrelevant to a huge portion of analytic philosophy.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.