[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

jesus christ I hate myself >want to start reading philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ijijijijij.jpg (78KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
ijijijijij.jpg
78KB, 1280x853px
jesus christ I hate myself

>want to start reading philosophy already
>taking a break of the greek plays, stopped at sophocles
>decided to read IJ
>never been able to drop books in the middle
>it has some great parts, but also some long, boring chapters
>takes a long ass time to get through these boring chapters
>damn book holding back my /lit/ gains
>think about all I could be reading
>page 400 right now

=(
>>
>he fell for the infinite jest meme
>>
>>9966216
>>9966209
Just read it you dumb nut. It shouldnt take you more than a couple of weeks if you've read shit before.
>>
>>9966252
>Couple of weeks to read 1k pages

Do you not read for several hours every day?
>>
>>9966252
I could easily spend 3 getting through IJ. That's a 1,079 page book with big pages.
>>
>>9966273
I have shit to do, I read for an hour a day before bed if I'm not busy
>>
>>9967025
Maybe the pomo doorstopper life isn't for you. Then again, how do you expect to get laid without showing off the enormous books you've conquered?
>>
>>9966209
Don't worry anon. I'm quitting the recognitions halfway through. I read like 450 pages in three days, so it's not like I dragged it out too long and lost interest gradually. It's just not consistently good enough to justify the time investment.

I felt similarly about IJ. Some of the books canonized on this board really are memes.
>>
>>9967388
>I'm quitting the recognitions halfway through

found the pleb. let me guess , you subvocalize?
>>
>>9967420
"Oh well I...it's just the art is, you see," he said as he contorted his face and made some histrionic gesture reminiscent of Dostoyevsky as his worst but without the spiritually moving philosophy. "It doesn't matter!" he finally cried. "St James and the seven strata of angels, seven eyes with fire, when you understand...but no one...you know that no one today really..."

"Everything is about money," the coarse character said coarsley. "So shut up, you! And keep paining. There's a lot of money at stake."

"My father, when I was a boy...the anchor that got caught on the gravestones...the people who...but I cannot!" He finally shouted, stormed across the room but not leaving it and ending the scene, but instead sticking around and keeping the scene and the pointless conversation for which the scene is merely a vehicle going for another 40 pages.

"But Jonathan Franzen! But the monkey sacrifice!"

You fell for a meme anon.
>>
The introduction of that version mentions Sufjan Stevens
need I say more
>>
>>9966209
>not manning up and taking the jest 24 hour challenge
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.