[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 51qYXGG+fyL.jpg (39KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
51qYXGG+fyL.jpg
39KB, 336x500px
Any good?
>>
>>9962125
Yes, the prose is generally uninspired but the themes explored are very interesting. The threat of artificial intelligence, man vs nature, man's inflated sense of power, nature vs nurture, the danger of hubris etc
>>
>>9962125
Yes.
>>
>>9962202
i have a problem where if the style is crap i'm blind to theme
i don't mind, especially
>>
just one of the best short stories ever written
JUT THAT
>>
>female writer
>>
>>9962125
i just finished it, would recommend.
>>
>>9962202
I quite liked the prose. It made me feel dread and hollowness, but in a substantial way.
>>
>>9963360
It's 80k words, anon. A little short for a novel, but definitely a novel.

>>9962125
Yes. Frankenstein is a fantastic piece of literature, more so upon realizing it was written by an eighteen year old woman. It's one of the best supports for exceptionalism being utterly blind.
>>
Mary Shelley was a greater genius than Percy would ever be. No wonder she cucked him with Byron, I'll bet Percy was intolerable once he realized he could never write anything like Frankenstein.
>>
Is it the original version? If yes, it is very good.
Her prose is ridiculously adolescent though. Not bad, just very contrived. If you've read her parents and her friends and husband, then you'll know what to expect. And I do suggest you read Wollstonecraft beforehand. Several often neglected themes come to light when one understand her mother's influence on her, the irony of her death and career, and what place that has in the novel.
>>9965093
80k words is not short for a novel. Novels did not begin as fucklong doorstoppers. I am generally critical of any fucklong doorstopper of a novel that hasn't earned its length in some way.
The Recognitions is a fucklong doorstopper but is essentially three novels of a series bound into one book. That is perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>9962125
I read it in high school and absolutely loved it. I need to read it again. There's probably a lot I missed.
>>
I finished this a few months ago, it was quite decent. I do not enjoy stories that are centred around one of the characters relating the main plot via story telling (Wurthering Heights is another example), but the character of Frankenstein's monster was written top notch in my books.
There's a decent amount of philosophy to be found via the creator / created relation ship between Frankenstein and his monster.
Also short enough read that is generally considered a classic,that has inspired lots of pop culture (hallmark of halloween costumes), so why not, it won't hurt.
>>
>>9962125
It takes ages before it gets going. Horrible editing. The prose is bland and seems very dated. Logical mistakes everywhere. Read it if you want to say you've read it. I found no literary merit in it except it was written by a strong female.

Half a page of Moby Dick >>>>>>> Entire Frankensteinburger
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.