[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When they said that I should read books, I never thought they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: cover_277.jpg (46KB, 277x416px)
cover_277.jpg
46KB, 277x416px
When they said that I should read books, I never thought they meant non-fiction. Why read fiction?

There is so much knowledge and history to be learned. Works shared by the world's greatest minds. Wisdom, passed down from the earliest pre-socratic philosophers, which built the foundation where our society stands.

And now we have our Warren Buffets and Tony Robbins and Dalai Lamas and Popes and other financial giants, whose books and talks aim to change our lives for the better.

Why are you reading your Twilight and Fifty Shades of Gray? Why are you reading made up stories /lit/?
>>
>>9960632
In many cases they are no less insightful than non-fiction.

Just because you can make up the story entirely doesn't mean you can't attach some kind of lesson or interesting insight to your parable.
>>
>>9960639
I wont disagree with that. Fiction has its own merits.

However, if reading non-fiction books.( I.E history or Philosophy) does the same thing, arguably better since its written in that purpose, why bother?

Reading for pleasure aside. I dont get pseud cred for reading 50 books year. I dont get smarter reading fantasy vampires killing aliens in a post apocalyptic world.
>>
I really enjoyed that book.
>>
>>9960667
I haven't read it, I just bought it last night. Is it really?
>>
>>9960658
I don't get smarter playing videogames or watching movies

I play games and watch movies because they are fun.

Do you remember what fun is?
>>
Non-fiction is less useful than fiction for most people.
For a lay person in the field that they are reading, for all they care, non-fiction is just fiction.
>Tony Robbins
>our lives
Are you having a giggle mate?
>>
>>9960679
>>Tony Robbins
>>our lives
>Are you having a giggle mate?

Whats wrong with him? The guy's a great motivational speaker.
>>
>>9960675
Yes, its hard to put down. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
>>
File: 1504104153510.jpg (56KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
1504104153510.jpg
56KB, 500x312px
>>9960632
This is the worst book I have ever read in my life. Pure self-indulgent dreck. Reading it made me feel like I'd just spent several days watching a looping video of Patrick Rothfuss spreading his own asshole and taking a long look inside it, while periodically letting out a fart or a turd. Couldn't even finish it. Not even the songs are any good.

This is what happens when we let mediocre people think they're worth something just because they did a language major.
>>
>>9960844
It's probably more likely the fuckhuge sales-count and legions of adoring fans which make Kvothefuss think he's worth a damn. It's hard to process the idea of anybody sincerely enjoying his writing but somehow lots of people do.
>>
>>9960873
I honestly have no idea why people like (or at least pretend to like) his work. Maybe it makes them seem intelligent and sophisticated?

I unironically believe there are edgy sonic OC fanfics out there that have better protagonists than Kvothe.
>>
>>9960844
To me it felt like he wrote a bad homage to Earthsea and Harry Potter, and mixed in terrible teen power fantasy trash.

I think what bothers me the most is that he has sincere younger fans. I wish they were reading LeGuin instead of this worthless faggot.
>>
By using Hegel's synthesis we can produce a work of pure non-fiction fiction
>>
>>9960909
Really? I thought only >tfw to intelligent college students read him. That makes me sad.

>Remember this, son, if you forget everything else. A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets.
Way to admit you're a worthless trash writer who doesn't understand language or literature.
>>
I read non-fiction and watch lectures but you don't get lost in the same way in those things as you get in a great fictional story. They can also have different philosophical points and its good to have knowledge of very popular fiction so you understand references and just normal socializing. Fiction can also help with your imagination.
It's fun too.
You shouldn't pick one or the other.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.