[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Meursault meant to be admired?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: The stranger Meursault.jpg (22KB, 420x267px) Image search: [Google]
The stranger Meursault.jpg
22KB, 420x267px
Was Meursault meant to be admired?
>>
File: itaintme.gif (1MB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
itaintme.gif
1MB, 500x350px
>>9959256
no
>>
>>9959256

Yes, but only for the murder.
>>
>>9959256
of course
>>
No, and that was my big problem with the book. I did not find Merusault likeable at all. He was a very bad hero.
>>
>>9959385

He's not supposed to be likeable. The book title is "The Stranger" for a reason
>>
>>9959385
>He was a very bad hero.

He was not meant to be a hero, but was he even relatable or was he something for people to aspire to?
>>
>>9959449
Just in the final moment. Meursault is more of a character study of what happens when you allow nihilism to enable inaction. He never says no until the very end of the book, when he realizes that his inevitable death does not prevent him from spending the time that he has in a way he would like. He goes from apathetic acceptance to rejection.
>>
I thought he was cool when I read the book as an edgy 17 year old.
>>
>>9959256
No, I don't think you're supposed to feel anything either positive or negative towards him, his contrived apathy is just used as a thought experiment to explore the real focus which is everyone else in the story and the society they participate in where constant attempts are made to try to impose reason and order on an indifferent and irrational world.
>>
>>9959256
Mersault was a WN protecting his Christian values, and only wanted Raymond to cuck him since Raymond was an Alpha ENTJ.
>>
>>9959256
No, he's to be sympathized with but not admired.
>>
>>9960540
First part of this post is underrated while the second part is just WRONG.
>>
>>9959256
You should just relate to him actually
>>
>>9959256
you're dealing with a pessimist writer
>ask your question again
>>
File: 1499557011728.jpg (26KB, 478x385px) Image search: [Google]
1499557011728.jpg
26KB, 478x385px
>>9959385
>you have to like characters to like a book
hello goodreads reviews
>>
Yes, he's an example of proper stoicism. You're meant to hate the society that attacks him out of jealousy, not him.
>>
>>9962618

I knew I couldn't be the only one getting this impression
>>
>>9962618
duh
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.