[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

T.S. Eliot and contemporary American poetry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1880726.jpg (465KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1880726.jpg
465KB, 1920x1080px
As someone who can't be rent from the Romantics (especially Wordsworth), how does one into T.S. Eliot and later American poets (Crane, WCW on down to John Ashbery)?

Is "The Waste Land" an introduction, or something that should be reserved?

>pls no Rum Tum Tugger
>>
>>9958987
Always read aloud.
Prufrock is the best intro for modernism.
Read Frost and WCW at the same time.

Subscribe to a good poetry mag if you honestly want contemporary. Just don't get all triggered by liberals.
>>
>>9958987
Oh and never, ever, ever try to 'understand' Ashbery. Just enjoy him.
>>
>>9958987
The Waste Land is very dense. Perhaps save that for later. Just get a collection of Eliot's poetry, they're (the collections) typically short.
My best advice would be, yeah, start with Prufrock and then dip your toes in and around some of the other contemps. Typically they aren't as 'good' as older, more renowned pieces, but there are still gems within the contemporary scene.
>>
>>9958987
read Yeats first if you haven't
>>
Hart Crane should be very readable for someone who likes Romantic poetry
>>
>>9959237
Professor brought a few lines of Prufrock to our attention the other day. I'm interested in Elliot now and glad a thread is still live about him.
>>
>>9959254
I read it when I was 15, didn't understand much of it but it was very beautiful
>>
>>9959451
i haven't, but to me, he's even more intimidating than eliot — is that a misplaced sentiment?

>>9959241
i do enjoy him, which is why i don't understand that he can alienate both the modernists and the surrealists. i'm too pleb to get his influence.

>>9960337
cool, i wasn't going to read him right away, so i'll bump him up.

>>9959237
my hometown literary rag (the sewanee review) was just taken over by some numale dorkus who is probably a jew, and the quality has decreased immeasurably. i'm no /pol/lack, but it's hard to not be triggered by those who wish to destroy history.
>>
>>9962482
Years is more accessible than Eliot. Ashbery is overrated. Hart Crane is wonderful but one of the most difficult "understandable" poets to understand.

Sucks about the Jew.
>>
>>9962482
you talk like a /pol/lack
stop grading work on its ideologies, and learn to appreciate craftsmanship

>>9962726
>Years is more accessible

except his weird super-Irish stuff

>Hart Crane is wonderful but one of the most difficult "understandable" poets to understand.

Wallace Steven sounds like he makes sense line-by-line, but by the time i'm finish with one of his I often have no fucking clue what he said.
>>
>>9964473
Yeah I don't consider Stevens understandable. No amount of teasing out meaning and writing down paraphrases will give you a solid grasp on what his poems are about. I say that as a huge Stevens fan.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.