[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Bilble

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: hb_14.81.1.jpg (360KB, 983x1500px) Image search: [Google]
hb_14.81.1.jpg
360KB, 983x1500px
Can you convince me to read the bible?
is it realy /lit/ ?
>>
>>9958804
If you don't read it, strangers on the internet will think less of you
And that's really bad for your self-esteem and stuff
>>
it's good to know the basic stories
they are alluded to a lot in literature
but you don't have to read it cover to cover
>>
>>9958804
No, one of the most important (if not the most) book in the western culture isn't literature because a bunch of retards take it literally and another bunch of retards take it literally.
>>
File: jesus_anime.jpg (34KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
jesus_anime.jpg
34KB, 640x360px
>>9958804
I at first never wanted to read the Bible, but sometime later I got curious and started. It dosent hurt the fact that I found 4 big volumes of the bible completely for free (call it luck or divine signal, I thank any of them). After reading the Bible, I believe I got a better understand of Christianity as a hole, and I wont lie that, reading the NT (New Testament) I felt good while doing so. I just felt confortable doing it (dunno if divine signal or just a mix of psycological effects of reading a book that is one of the core pieces of your entire culture where you was born and raised and your parents and grandparents may have been part of this effect because of your entire life they talking nice of big J and God, even tho never talking about reading the Bible or her existence [they never forced you to do it too])
Is a very interesting collection of books, tho not all the gospels in existence are in one (for historical reasons).
After reading the Bible my interest in religion not only as subject but also as thing to believe grow and now I am where I am.
I am not a devout person, by any ways. If a random person asks me if god exist, I would say one "probably not" in meh days and one "no, of course not" in bad days, but the Bible, in the literary sense is great to read, tho, some books you may find unberable, many of them being in the OT (old testament), but reading the storys on big J (especialy Luke, with is my favorite) are very cool. I would say for you to give a try op. Even if you dont believe or dont like, at least you have one of the most important "books" in the history of mankind
>>
File: IMG_1370.jpg (77KB, 290x419px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1370.jpg
77KB, 290x419px
>>9958804
I can't think of a single work of great western literature that isn't influenced by the Bible, other than those inspired by the Greeks.

It is THE foundational text of the literary tradition, manages to connect hundreds of characters over thousands of years to a single overarching storyline, and the KJV is up there with Shakespeare as the most beautiful prose in the English language.

Even if you aren't Christian you should read the Bible for the same reason you read any other great book: it's really, REALLY good.
>>
>>9958881
should i skip any of the books or should i go ahead and read the 1800 page volume (Oxford world's classics) as it is?
>>
>>9958804
It's actually kind of fun. And the KJV is incredibly beautiful.
>>
>>9958919
I am anon from >>9958852 and I tell you that if you have the feeling you are just too bored to read some of the books, I dont see any problem. You may anytime come back to read them later, and some of them are just realy boring (I am looking at you Numbers and Levithicus). Tho, what is boring, is subjective.
The Bible is yours anon. Do it as you wish, and if you begin turning religious, dont follow for the "needs to join church" meme, the most important part of religion is knowing that God (or Gods, idk, dont realy give a shit) is true to you, and takes care of you. He (or them, whatever you believe) is there to help you, and as long you dont hurt anyone, you may worship the Drowned God or The God Emperor of Mankind or anything you so feel.
>>
>>9958804
If you're going to read the Bible I'd recommend watching Christine Haye's lecture series on YouTube with it. It's a great accompaniment to it that sets a context for its writing and illustrates its symbolic significance. Her series is only Old Testament though.
Also remember the Bible isn't a book. It is an anthology of relevant writings. Some will be profound and some will just be stupid to you.
>>
>>9958804
Sure.
Yes.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.