[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post what you read this summer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: download (2).jpg (17KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
17KB, 290x174px
In descending order from most to least favourite.

The Human Stain (Philip Roth) - My second Roth, after American Pastoral. Roth went to the top of my reading list after finishing this masterpiece.

Adults In The Room (Yanis Varoufakis) - A tad too long but by far the best left critique of rapacious EU tyranny that I've seen.

Epic City (Kushanava Choudhury) - A poignant look at the extraordinary city of Calcutta, as well as nostalgia, national identity, and homesickness. Reading this made me realise just how bland and homogenised other metropolises are in comparison.

Libra (Don DeLillo) - A lot longer and tougher than the other DeLillo I've read (Mao II). Of the meme American writers DeLillo is the one I find most perplexing.

Blindness (Jose Saramago) - A little too self serious, but overall pretty fascinating in its depravity.

Waterland (Graham Swift) - A slow but enjoyable read full of incest and teen sexuality. Swift's descriptions of Fenland geography and the sexual history of eels was much more interesting than his musings on the nature of history and the Enlightenment (Eliot says much more, more economically in 'Gerontion').

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (Oliver Sacks) - bizarre, sad, and hilarious case histories but the overarching theme of a humanistic approach to medicine was too loose to make a very compelling read. I'll try Awakenings instead.

The Festival of Insignificance (Milan Kundera) - My first Kundera. Short and slight, but any book that can make you feel warmly affectionate towards Stalin is worth a read.

Waiting For The Barbarians (JM Coetzee) - I expected racial politics but it was mainly just the self pitying whining of a horny old man. Only became really interesting in the last act.

Being Dead (Jim Crace) - The only book I actually disliked. This is a fucking awful book. I doubt Jim Crace has ever talked to a real human being, and he has nothing interesting to say about love, life, or death. His habit of inventing things like 'Amoebolites and monophyles', 'manac beans', and 'quivering sticks' is nothing but a sign of laziness and intellectual poverty.
>>
>>9957434
I was in an American Lit class over the Spring, so I just kind of continued with some American classics. I read...

Invisible Man, by Ralph Elison - Fantastic, furtive material for growing empathy
The Sound and the Fury, by Faulkner - Obviously great, but most interesting of all was his wild technique for having been written in 1928
The Fire Next Time, by James Baldwin - Masterfully emotive, and I really want to read more of Baldwin's stuff
The Illiad, by Homer - Epic and great, but a little repetitive. I like the adventure the variety of The Odyssey more
Ubik, by Philip K. Dick - Love PKD's brand of psychotic scifi and want to read more.

>Libra
I was going to read this next, but decided to reread Gravity's Rainbow instead. DeLillo is not the easiest writer to follow along with, Underworld was pretty sprawling and grand.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.