[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

grad student general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 3

File: me.jpg (46KB, 570x588px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
46KB, 570x588px
Any grad students who can take a couple minutes to share with us plebs what you have in store for the next several months? What books are on your stack?
>>
File: dox.jpg (244KB, 947x1108px) Image search: [Google]
dox.jpg
244KB, 947x1108px
A lot of reading, a new way of reading, and a higher standard for reading and writing. It'll be hard, but you'll grow accustomed to it. Professors will let their guard and facade down, and you will start seeing them as people, and in seeing them as people, flaws and all, you'll second guess some of the motivation that made you get into grad school in the first place; motivations you'll never admitted and you might never admit to. It's a slow process of disillusionment, akin to seeing your parents flaws.

What we're all looking for is moral exemplars as a signpost, as a goal for ourselves, and in seeing our parents fail in that capacity as we grow up, some of us seek out professors, but what allowed us to make them exemplars in our head is that distance that separated us. We saw them like mountains from afar, and we were in awe. For some, they become that signpost.

At first, the closer you get to the mountain, the more imposing it will seem, but as you start to climb it, you also start to notice their frigid nature, the cool and thin air, the desolate lifeless landscape, in short, their imperfections.
Meanwhile, your ego will get a boost because you'll start seeing the valleys from which you traveled and the friends you've left behind from afar, too, and they'll seem so small, so similar, so simple.

Eventually however, you'll grow comfy on the mountain, and that sense of awe will leave you. Then you'll wonder what the point of climbing is, what the point of living in this desert of the spirit is, and the only real answer you'll get is money. You've gone too far. You're too old, and you have too much debt. And even though you won't think much of being on the mountain, you'll also be unwilling to part with the feeling of respect and awe that you've gotten from valley dwellers.

You'll grow cynical, but you need to publish, and and you need to start making money, to find a job, because you'll be old now, and your parents will be old, too, and you'll want a family soon, because of course you will. Soon after, you'll see it as nothing but a job. One that pays you in social status, and money, but like I said, you'll be cynical, because you'll see it as nothing but a lie. It is then that you'll grow humble, and come down to the valleys, and be embarrassed at the respect you get from the valley dwellers.

Maybe.
>>
I decided to do an internship instead of a thesis because I'm not planning to go back for a PhD for the next few years at the least.

So I'm going to relax and enjoy reading shit-tons of sci-fi and fantasy now that I'm done with classes.
>>
File: IMGP0098edit.jpg (226KB, 708x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0098edit.jpg
226KB, 708x1200px
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.