[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can the human man even hope to stand against hedonism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3105.jpg (46KB, 590x536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3105.jpg
46KB, 590x536px
How can the human man even hope to stand against hedonism?
>>
File: angel1.png (762KB, 598x600px) Image search: [Google]
angel1.png
762KB, 598x600px
Step 1: read Brave New World

Step 2: read the Stoics, particularly Epictetus

Step 3: put what you have learned into practice, always remembering that desires are literally illusory and do not actually correspond to the pleasures they seek

Optional Step: convert to Christianity
>>
File: 1471864167511.jpg (138KB, 1059x881px) Image search: [Google]
1471864167511.jpg
138KB, 1059x881px
>>9956411
Did all except convert to Christianity (culturally Catholic, but can't personally believe in a god). All it did was make me feel bad whenever I jerk off, fuck a slut or get wasted instead of doing so in blissful ignorance.
>>
>>9956418
Did you actually try to stop any of those? Changing your life takes effort. Just keep in mind that we're designed to change.
>>
>>9956411
aurelius was really underwhelming as far as stoics go
>>
>>9956400
man cannot, and here's why:
hedonists wil by definition outbreed antihedonists. The people who try to live an ethical sort of life will embrace antinatalism or at least have far lower birth rates than people who are essentially animals. Seeing as child birth/rearing is the most common way of passing on you information or ideology, hedonism will inherit everything before shortly destroying the environment, as we see now.
This is besides the point that hedonism is profitable, and thus we are constantly nudged towards it by advertising anf popular culture. No money in antihedonism. America is basically on giant shopping mall, and the cultural conditioning is almost inescapable. hedonism is the only option. If you choose to avoid it no one will care and the world will continue to eat itself.
One can escape, but don't plan on brining anyone with you.
>>
because if pleasure has value, then pain and suffering has negative value, and anyone alive knows the pains of life far outweigh the pleasures. a true hedonist would simply put a stop to his or her existence, in a cold calcualtion of their lifes hedonic value

but we do not do this, because there's more value and menaing here than jsut base pleasure
>>
>>9956475
Well, hedonism negatively effects the accumulation of power, so over time we can expect for the rulers of societies to become less and less hedonistic. I dont exactly know the implications of this, but what the more hedonistic (and thusly lower class) parts of society does/ will do shouldnt really be of concern.
>>
No mention of cleaning his room and straightening his life out bucko? I'm disappointed in all of you.
>>
>>9956475
Silly boyo. Reproduction is only part of the deal, you forget about succesfully raising them children.
>>
File: 1502322530456.jpg (168KB, 739x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1502322530456.jpg
168KB, 739x1024px
>>9956400
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.