[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: books that pulled you out of silly nihilism as a teenager

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: Screenshot_20170829-074347.png (631KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170829-074347.png
631KB, 720x1280px
ITT: books that pulled you out of silly nihilism as a teenager
>>
File: 51Svi4BBmlL.jpg (56KB, 306x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Svi4BBmlL.jpg
56KB, 306x500px
>>9952721
Plutarch's Lives, Dryden Translation
>>
Explain how you can get around nihilism without God?
William lane craig believes that a logical and rational person in a godless universe would have to be a nihilist, is he wrong?
He's a very smart guy btw so you might want to think twice before you say some dumb shit.
>>
>>9952721
I can't take Ben Carson seriously. He always looks like he's sleepy. DEFEND YOUR CHOICE OP.
>>
>>9952737
be your own god
>>
>>9952749
Ok so what ontological property of 'me' gives me that authority to create objective values and meanings?
>>
>>9952747
This. Ben Carson is clearly not an idiot but he probably needs to get more than 5 hours of sleep each year
>>
>>9952737
>Explain how you can get around nihilism without God?

Assign worth to your own actions. For instance, epicurean or hedonist pleasure, or the quest for scientific or moral truth.
>>
>>9952765
>For instance, epicurean or hedonist pleasure, or the quest for scientific or moral truth
Ok so I say I declare that the meaning of my existence is for me to masturbate every single day for as many times as possible.
Doesn't that just seem like a coping mechanism to you? If I say my failures aren't failures than they are in fact not failures and instead successes.
Just because I have assigned value to something doesn't mean that that value suddenly becomes intrinsic in the universe.
Unless of course you think I'm arguing that we can't construct our own subjective and ultimately illusory meaning cause I'd agree with you.
>>
>>9952790
>subjective and ultimately illusory meaning
If your devotion to life is purely towards orgiastic pleasure that is not subjective or nihilistic. I would argue against the morality of it, but that is subjective.
>>
Nothing
>>
a lot of the big existentialist works
>no longer human
>notes from underground
>sun and steel
read these three books in this order back to back. The first shows indulging in hedonism (drugs, prostitues) and the effect that has on the psyche. the second shows the need for purpose and responsibilty. not to be spiteful at what life has given you, but to overcome the challenge and better yourself ( something the underground man never gave intention to do ). and the third emphasizes the balance of art and action. art is the stomachs acid. while a necessity, without balance it will burn a hole in your stomach. you need to balance it with the wordless. with action. with sun and steel. a purifier of the human mind and the balance which is needed for purpose and hapiness.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Cd-hoS_0U
>>
>>9952790
>Ok so I say I declare that the meaning of my existence is for me to masturbate every single day for as many times as possible.
I really much doubt that will work out for you. More power to you if it does, but I don't think there's a single person who believes that.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>9952737
There are only two ways to derive meaning from existence.
One comes from religion.
The other is your role and action within a social organism.
>>
>>9952737
Explain how you can get around nihilism with God.
>>
File: blake's America.jpg (568KB, 1103x1600px) Image search: [Google]
blake's America.jpg
568KB, 1103x1600px
>>9952721
>>
File: 1489029554645.jpg (105KB, 634x951px) Image search: [Google]
1489029554645.jpg
105KB, 634x951px
>>9952790
so believing in god isn't a coping mechanism??? lmao
>>
>>9954261
good post
>>
>>9952755
You realize that you are an object in the view of other objects, correct? And that you can have authority over other things? So you have the capacity to create "objective values." Or do you think all of the values you currently have are really your own?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.