[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /lit/ help me on my speech and debate tournament?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: smugu.png (324KB, 414x459px) Image search: [Google]
smugu.png
324KB, 414x459px
It's not homework so it's not against the rules. The prompt: Civil disobedience in a democracy is morally justified.

Reddit was no help so I'll ask here. I don't expect anything because y'know this is 4chan and all
>>
kill you're self
>>
what do you mean by civil disobedience
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (29KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
29KB, 800x522px
>>9951889
>>
>>9951878

For starters, the United States is not a democracy but a federal republic. Second, civil disobedience will land you in jail if you can't afford adequate legal counsel. For example, if you refuse to pay your taxes the IRS is going to smoke you (like they did Al Capone)

That prompt is vague and kind of stupid. You would need a special example of exactly what societal grievance you were deliberately disobeying. Fuck, the education system is stupid

t. a college professor
>>
>>9951905
>using al capone as an example of civil disobedience

holy shit what kind of shitty title v shithole do u teach at
>>
>>9951909

I never used Al Capone as an example of civil disobedience. The feds couldn't get him but the IRS could because of tax evasion. He was a murderer and a thug. Can you read?
>>
>>9951893
Well you see that's the fun part about SND. We get to come up with our own definitions for it. By civil disobedience (n.) I mean the refusal to obey certain laws through nonviolent techniques. Democracy is defined by a government ran by the people majority.

I recommend you all watch a brief video on speech and debate and familiarize yourself with the topic, highly interesting stuff that uses philosophy.
>>
>>9951878
A possible example you could bring up would be H.D. Thoreau. He built a cabin in the woods and stopped paying taxes so as to not support a state that was built on inequality in the form of slavery. He even got briefly jailed for it. Positive result in that he convinced other poets and essayists, most prominently Emerson, to take an abolishonest stance.
>>
Choam Nomsky has a pretty good thing to say on it in that debate with Fichel Moucault.
>>
>>9951905
I would agree but I didn't write the prompt. I guess we are supposed to use examples to come up with the moral justification since this is only a novice tournament
>>
>morally justified
that's a whole big can of worms there. technically anything can be "morally justified", even murder and genocide.

anyways, in a true democracy, civil disobedience would violate the social contract that democracy is built upon, leading to punishment by the state. take that for what it's worth I guess
>>
>>9951889
No no, make an opening statement then kill yourself. Now no one can argue against you. Unbeatable.
>>
>>9951933
this, just reword what Chomsky said and use the same jarring gestures and the debate is won, you filthy redditor
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.