[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelogue Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (33KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 1280x720px
I've developed a taste for travel writing and literature lately. Already finished reading On the Road and Travels With Charley. Which literary travelogues would you recommend I read next?

Additionally, I feel that this relatively small sub genre has gone largely unnoticed in the mainstream. Am I wrong in assuming so?
>>
>>9951651

All other forms of artistic expression are inferior to music in their ability to convey emotion and story and real A E S T H E T I C meaning. Honest writers, filmmakers, potters and internet people are happy to put their arts at the service of music in the character of a supporting capacity.

Witness (again?) the editing which gave rise to this perfect emotion which informed you, OP. Did you see it before? If not, then how did you come to pick your OP image? If so, then what does the image mean to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWmvR_PwXA
>>
Fear & Loathing jumps to mind.
>>
>>9951651
It used be pretty common because the grand tour was common. It's a way to make money from the experience too.

Sterne has a travelogue from when war was breaking out across Europe and he was travelling with a diplomatic party. It's called something like Sentimental Journey through France and Italy, but he doesn't get as far as the title lets on IIRC

There's an early near stream of consciousness one by Beckford called Dreams, Waking Thoughts and Incidents which is closer to the standard Grand Tour.

Robert Louis Stevenson did a lot of these. Travels with a Donkey goes back over the same territory, but if you want a great book on frontier California when they were setting up resort towns and building competing railways to be the first way back east, get Silverado Squatters. It was pretty scandalous at the time because it's about Stevenson's honeymoon with his previously married wife, and he gets fed up with paying for a hotel so they go live in an abandoned native's hut, and Stevenson probably isn't the weirdest person in the town even then.

The mainstream has Bryson, but there's definitely a long history of these and they were often the works the public most read from literary authors/artists who travelled.
>>
VS Naipaul's Among the Believers gives highly readable insight to places like Iran, Pakistan, Indonesia and Malaysia
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.