[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good material on ancient Greece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Socrates_Louvre.jpg (154KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Socrates_Louvre.jpg
154KB, 600x800px
Anything on it's history, wars, what life was like, history of philosophers such as Socrates, Plato, Xenophon ect and their works.

Thanks!
>>
>>9948448
Bump
>>
>>9948452
It's that time again

Bump
>>
Here's a free Yale course, with lectures and syllabus included:
http://oyc.yale.edu/classics/clcv-205

If you like lectures, search torrent sites for Kenneth Harl's Peloponnesian War course

The Yale guy also has a really good book on the Peloponnesian War which makes reading Thucydides a lot easier. (Incidentally, the Yale guy was Harl's PhD supervisor I think.)

The Yale course uses Pomeroy's book Ancient Greece, which is OK. It also has a shorter version for dummies that you shouldn't get. Personally I prefer big clunky books like Bury & Meiggs History of Greece to the Death of Alexander, though a bit outdated, and the intro chapters can be more boring than you want because they are mostly archaeological and "big history" (guessing about trade routes and daily life, rather than getting into traditional Ancient Greek narrative history). Might want to skip ahead.

Thucydides is fairly hard to read, and helped a lot by the Landmark Edition of his book which includes maps (though I think the translation is older and slightly stuffier than more recent, more readable ones).

Herodotus is easier to read and has a Landmark edition too but you might not need it, and I think its translation is TOO readable and its giant size not worth it. A library card helps with this, to avoid wasting money.

Xenophon concludes Thucydides' account and his major works can be read pretty easily.

Plato is Plato. Lots of good books on him. For Aristotle, I'd recommend Rist's Mind of Aristotle, at least the introductory first two chapters, to get a plausible overview of Aristotle's thought that is concerned with historical plausibility and not written by some modern Aristotelian analytic philosopher with axes to grind.

If you can stomach it, Windelband's History of Ancient Greek Philosophy is still good for a traditional summation of the various philosophers, but it's hard. Most people probably wouldn't read this anymore, but it was helpful to me because it was thorough, and so many books are afraid to be thorough these days.
>>
>>9948452
>>9948455
Don't worry about bumping, /lit/ is a very slow board
>>
>>9948459
Excellent seems like at least some of this course has audio, great for once I get my damn internet back.

Thanks
>>
>>9948448
Apart from primary Greek writers I would recommend:

Guthrie's History of Greek Philosophy (Expensive, but available on the net)

Terry Buckley's - Aspects of Greek History
>>
lel

>>>/pol/139338460
>>
>>9948448
Burkert's Greek Religion.
Here are some fun classic highly literary secondary sources (the way to go in my opinion)
Burckhardt's The Greeks and Greek Civ
Jaeger's Paideia
Otto's The Homeric Gods -and- Dionysus
>>
>>9948459
>http://oyc.yale.edu/classics/clcv-205
Nice. The Ancient Greeks course on Coursera is also pretty good.
>>
>>9948448
https://historyofphilosophy.net/all-episodes
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.