[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some /lit/ approved books on world war 1 and 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

What are some /lit/ approved books on world war 1 and 2
>>
I know some faggot brings this up in every thread but Ernst Junger's storm of steel is a masterpiece and probably the best piece of WW1 literature. If you're looking for something contemporary Rich Atkinson's trilogy has been excellent so far, although I've only read the first book on the campaign in North Africa. Currently reading Hans Von Luck's memoirs and it's meh. I'm excited to get started on Pierre Berton's Vimy.
>>
>>9947298
WWI
>All Quiet on the Western Front

WWII
>The Thin Red Line
>Night

There's definitely way more, these are just ones I liked
>>
my struggle by adolf hitler is the only book anyone needs from the entire twentieth century
>>
>>9947370
>Same poster

The Rape of Nanking is also fucking wild
>WWII ofc
>>
>>9947298
Warlords by Simon Berthon and Joanna Potts
>>
>>9947298
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
File: 1493345399244.jpg (151KB, 388x443px) Image search: [Google]
1493345399244.jpg
151KB, 388x443px
>>9947340
I just finished Storm of Steel and can second this. I found it much more interesting than "All Quiet On The Western Front"
>>
Reading 'Five Days in London' by John Lukacs at the moment. Very good.
>>
Do not read Guns of August, read The Sleepwalkers instead. Tuchman has a nasty habit of simplifying world war 1 and looking at the countries that fought as singular, centralized powers. For example pan-Sebists were supported in Bosnia by Austro-Hungary, but not within Austro-Hungary itself, Tuchman leaves these things out to create a simpler narrative.
>>
>>9947298
I have no fucking idea.

4chan is not home to the best and brightest.

they might have you believe so, but that isn't the case

I really enjoyed The World of Yesterday by Stefan Zweig

It is my single most favorite book

It creates such a vivid, real, historical portrait of a culture that actually valued the arts above all else, before it was brutally evaporated by those events.

I'm not joking around.
>>
>>9947870
>not home to the best and brightest

>C

>L

>E

>A

>R

>L

>Y

I'm not joking around.
>>
>>9947881
I appreciate your joke about my post
>>
>>9947891
glad <3
>>
Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.
>>
There's a new, better translation of The Unknown Soldiers by Väinö Linna if you're interested in the Finnish infantrymen.
>>
Storm of Steel is probably my favorite. Robert Grave's Goodbye to All that and Chavier's Fear are also really good.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.