[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You do NOT appreciate the poetics of Shakespeare, Stop pretending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

https://youtu.be/Hi-rejaoP7U
2:20 is when he speaks in a Shakespearian accent

>Shakespeare's sense of poetry is the greatest the world has ever seen!
>Shakespeare was, truly, the greatest master of the music of poetry!

And you say this having read Shakespeare outloud (or even more embarrassingly, with an internal voice) to yourself in whatever shitty modern accent you have, most likely American, probably nodding to yourself and congratulating yourself on your "deep" understanding of Shakespeare's poetics. ("yes, yes, quite sublime, yes") You have no idea what the "music" of Shakespeare is like, so stop pretending. Shakespearian English is supposed to sound completely different from what you think it sounds like. You may as well be reading Chaucer in pathetic modern English translation and pretending that you are appreciating the poetics of Chaucer.
>>
>>9946195
>not teaching yourself Shakespearean pronunciation to appreciate Shakespeare better

You're a fucking pleb, you know that?
>>
No one even knows what Shakespearean (or Chaucerian) English would've sounded like and most scholars admit it doesn't matter.
>>
>>9946204
why don't you post a recording of yourself reading in a Shakespearean accent, oh mighty internet patrician
>>
Words transcend language.
>>
>>9946212
Because I'm fucking with you. I never read Shakespeare aloud. In fact, when I read his works, I switch off my internal voice too.
>>
>>9946217
complete, irredeemable pleb
>>
Frank Grady
>>9946230
Anyone who uses the word "pleb" is a bluestocking idiot.
>>
>phonetics are the only aspect of poetics
>>
>>9946402
not what I said at all, nice reading comprehension, idiot. The sounds and so-called music of poetry, however, are a crucial aspect of it, however.
>>
>>9946217
>I switch off my internal voice too.
/lit/ is so fucking pathetic, I can't believe I share this board with retards like this
>>
>>9946195
That's just a Scottish pirate
>>
And yet his work remains appreciated all over the world, imagine that. Everyone knows pronunciation has changed since then, you might as well shit on people for finding the King James Bible beautiful since they wouldn't be able to read it aloud in an authentic manner either. And yet it is, even without that dimension, though it was also a work that was written to be read aloud.
>>
>he's an OP fag

Literally a circus trick for tourists. Good of you to do their advertising f.o.c.

>Shakespearean accent

It's west-country with a bit of gravel. Most Londoners think it sounds American.
>>
>>9946412
>however
>>
>>9946195
>having read Shakespeare outloud (or even more embarrassingly, with an internal voice) to yourself in whatever shitty modern accent you have, most likely American
I kinda wish I could read in a convincing American accent, since that's actually believed to be closer to the accent Shakespeare would have been read in at the time.
>>
>>9946500
He's very clearly joking
>>
>>9946195

WTF I love Shakespeare now!

>>9946210
>I don't know how people can learn thing, so all claims about thing are fictitious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeW1eV7Oc5A
>>
>>9947191
That's right, a youtube video... Genuine erudition
>>
>>9946195
I read it in an Irish accent, because it is the best accent.

Anyway this is more fun than your gay video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCckcTHWqKw
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.