[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recs for novels similar to this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: suttree.jpg (7KB, 181x279px) Image search: [Google]
suttree.jpg
7KB, 181x279px
Recs for novels similar to this?
>>
Reesutt by Maccor CaMarthy
>>
>>9943670
Hm. The title anagrams Trustee. Never noticed that before.
OP: I fear the book's in a class by itself.
>>
It's very similar to Blood Meridian in terms of style and it's strong character-driven nature. More so than any other McCarthy book.
>>
>>9943558
anything by Bukowski
>>
>>9943558
>no faulkner

this place is a shit hole. suttree is mccarthy's attempt at souther gothic, and he certainly didn't outwrite the master
>>
>>9945327
You're not wrong, but Faulkner still is not confined to the Southern Gothic subgenre, his work is much more universal than that.
>>
Is this better than Blood Meridian?
>>
>>9945327
I thought of it as a kind of farewell to Knoxville, his hometown.
Faulkner is great, but like McCarthy inconsistent (A Fable, for instance). The two Faulkners that put me in mind of Suttree are themselves very different- Pylon, an almost noirish potboiler, and the Hamlet, a great although too undiscussed masterpiece. The latter the initiation of the immortal Flem Snopes, and Faulkner's Mississippi Aphrodite Eula Varner. Those are the books I'd rec.
>>
>>9945416
I think so, but very different if stylistically similar.
>>
>>9945434
Do you consider them his first and second best book?
>>
>>9945439
No. My favorite's Hamlet, but Absalom, Absalom is probably his best. Sound and the Fury I recognize as great, but I'm not as fond of As I Lay Dying as I'm supposed to be. I've read about 12, 13.
>>
>>9945439
Pylon was a departure for him. He wanted to write a best seller. Still, I very much enjoyed it.
>>
>>9945439
Damn. (You) meant Cormac. My bad.
Yes. The Crossing however is right up there. I've read all Cormac but No Country. Probably because I saw the movie.
>>
>>9945494
You're not missing out. The movie is better than the book.
>>
File: tenor[1].gif (634KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tenor[1].gif
634KB, 480x360px
>>9943558
book of cain by alexander trochii....young adam also
>>
>>9943558
Butcher's Crossing
>>
>>9945876
I cannot imagine a better Anton. My take-away was that if youre running from a guy like that (you) cannot have any let up of your attention or youll get iced, even by someone else or some other group, it doesn't matter.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.