[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've read some dialogues here and there but I want to explore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 9780826468956.jpg (35KB, 420x658px) Image search: [Google]
9780826468956.jpg
35KB, 420x658px
I've read some dialogues here and there but I want to explore philosophy and approach it from a more systematic way. Should I read this before or after reading Plato? I know both are probably ok, but if one is preferred I'd like to know which and why.
>>
The Copleston histories are meant more for people who have been studying philosophy for a few years. There's a lot of untranslated Greek too.
>>
There probably won't be a single right answer to this, but I'd read Copleston afterwards. He draws on all of Plato to basically give you the general themes of Plato's physics, metaphysics, ethics, etc., all at once rather than going dialogue by dialogue. So it's helpful to gather your thoughts once you've read those dialogues, but IMO is a bit premature to read on its own/before those dialogues.

Also Copleston is not at all difficult to read; I disagree with >>9939994 except to confirm that there is a fair bit of untranslated Greek in there. Read an intro like the Bloomsbury Companion to Plato before reading Copleston and you'll be sufficiently familiar with the Greek vocab necessary to have no trouble with Copleston.
>>
>>9940136
I should have clarified that even though I'm no philosophy student I'm not a complete beginner. I've read introductions and works by other philosophers as well, including Kant and Hegel although not a complete work from any of these two.
I just want to start from the bottom and this time be systematic as I already said.
That's why I'm picking Copleston and not a history for dummies.
I have good Plato editions so there's quite a bit of intro there already, but what you said is what I wanted to know. How does Coplestone do it? Well then, it seems it'd be better to read it after the primary source.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.