[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books about modern ocean voyages?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ocean.png (948KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
ocean.png
948KB, 900x675px
What are some good books about modern ocean voyages?
>>
>>9939494
moby dick
and that one book by jon fosse, cant remember
>>
>>9939494
All the fiction books about the ocean I'd recommend probably wouldn't fit the 'modern' timescale here. Hmm.

If you're cool with it being nonfiction, I'd recommend Log From the Sea of Cortez. It's Steinbeck and his marine biologist buddy sailing the Gulf of California.
>>
>>9939497

>moby dick

literally 'my dick'

Western canon??
>>
20,000 leagues under the sea.
>>
>>9939494
>>9939494
Gypsy Moth Circles the World
>>
>>9939494
Fastnet Force 10. The story of the 1977 Fastnet disaster in which Ted Turner sailed past several dozen distressed and dying sailors in disregard of all maritime law and tradition to win the race.

Fatal Storm: the 54th Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. The 1998 sailing disaster which recalled all the lessons not learned from the Fastnet.

Perfect Storm. The book makes the movie look like a saccharine after school special.

A Voyage for Madmen. Robin Knox-Johnston is the only sailor to complete the Vendee Globe challenge of single handing around the world non-stop, in his tubby little sloop Suhaili. The greatest single hander ever, besting even Chichester.

The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst. When little men try great things. Story of the disaster that Knox-Johnston eventually won.

Gypsy Moth is the definitive modern single-handed sailing tale of Chichester's circumnavigation, with a stop in Australia. Re-establishes all the tropes and sets the stage for modern sailing narratives for the next fifty years. For context, see Slocum, Sailing Alone Around The World.
>>
>>9939494
my diary desu
>>
Kon Tiki

It's non-fiction but reads like fiction. Very fun book.
>>
Max and the Cats
by Moacyr Scliar
>>
Check out Amyr Klink's books.

Another cool subject is the conquest of the south pole. It was similar to the space race, only it was between Norway and the UK. Check that out if you want.
>>
>>9941557
>Amyr Klink
Based
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.