[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ help a nigga out, I'm looking for an apocalyptic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: ds.jpg (80KB, 736x900px) Image search: [Google]
ds.jpg
80KB, 736x900px
Hey /lit/ help a nigga out, I'm looking for an apocalyptic medieval fantasy with magic and shiz. Kinda the same setting as Dark Souls, anything close would be appreciated because I'm trying to get into reading books.
>>
Read The Canterbury Tales mate.
>>
>>9939318
If you're looking for fantasy recommendations then I'd recommend asking the Sci-fi/Fantasy general. >>9939025

This isn't to say that this is a bad request, it's just that they'll have the answers and don't leave their general very much.

For what it's worth, if you want to get into fantasy it might be worth looking into classics like Lord of the Rings. It's always nice to have an idea of where the common tropes came from. It's especially true if you're coming at it from Souls, as the games were inspired by Choose your own Adventure books heavily inspired by LotR.
>>
>>9939318
HP
LOVECRAFT
>>
Hi. "The name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss (part of Kingkiller chronicles) is a beautiful read, also "The lies of Locke Lamora" is awesome though more assassins creed than dark souls I guess. "Age of iron" is a book full of blood, guts, magic, and has stuck in my head as one of the funniest book I've read in a long time. I admit that none of these would match up to Dark Souls per se but the Last is probably closest in violence, grittiness that comes with living in this era (which is brought to life fantastically), and general intensity of the storyline. You just get the added bonus of a crazy northerner (+entourage) coming out with some great lines. Hope you find what your looking for, and apologies if these suggestions were too way off.
>>
>>9939318
The thing about Dark Souls is that it is nearing the epitome of what the video game medium can do and the experience it can bring you. Books are great but they simply cannot replicate the experience of hard grit, repetition, subtle, item- and context-based exposition like the games can. If you want Dark Souls you kind of have to play Dark Souls.

If you just want the setting, pick fucking anything. The Belgariad has a nice world creation myth that ties into its narrative.
>>
File: Cugel_and_Iucounu.jpg (117KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cugel_and_Iucounu.jpg
117KB, 600x800px
>>9939318
you probably won't do this because the language is too polite for a gamer, but consider Jack Vance's Dying Earth books.

> sun is fading
> everyone convinced the world is going to end soon
> nobody really gives a shit
> magicians spend their time pranking each other

the Cugel stories are pretty good.

> dude tries to rob a magician's house
> gets caught
> magician sends him on a mission to recover magic contact lenses
> implants a spiky alien in his stomach to keep him from wandering
>>
>>9939480
>The lies of Locke Lamora
i heard the rest of the series is shit. so why start
>>
File: 51R7P95ZF6L.jpg (33KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
51R7P95ZF6L.jpg
33KB, 330x500px
Try this, there are no good people in this book and nothing good happens, it might be the grimmest fantasy book I've ever read.
>>
>>9939318
Mistborn books
>>
>>9939318
Karl Edward Wagner's books about Kane
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.