[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of this book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 51oXKWrcYYL.jpg (55KB, 668x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51oXKWrcYYL.jpg
55KB, 668x1000px
What do you think of this book?
>>
I read it years ago and can't remember a single thing about it.. huh...
>>
a nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me
>>
Think fast! *throws a basketball at u*

Lol jk
>>
>>9937766

I didn't quite finish it but it was rather interesting to gleam into the basic workings of the brain, and how it makes decisions. I can honestly say that it gave me insights required to better reevaluate choices I make, and to better understand them in retrospect, whether they were of instinctive or thoughtful process.

It really is more useful than you'd think to understand just the basics of your brain, it will pay off along the way.
>>
It is a historical landmark, as it marks the fall of the concept of the rational animal. The idea of cognitive biases is perhaps the greatest idea in psychology. On the other hand I cannot understand how we ever thought ourselves as a rational animal, when from a Darwinian perspective that is rather unlikely.
Strangely, it birthed the LessWrong rationalists which to me seems antithetical. The idea that one can overcome bias is itself a bias.
The book is already slightly dated however, I've read that priming is now disputed. And in the book "The Enigma of Reason" the concept of system 1 and system 2 was under critique. It really is an important book.
And the research it discussed has been a major influence on my own intellectual development.
>>
>>9937766
10/10
Only boring part is about decision making
>>
>>9937879
Sorry for the horrible writing. This should say:
>However, it really is an important book.
Interesting as well is that from an outsider it looks as if economics still hasn't moved away from the rational animal. Yet we do have the field of behavioral economics now, which was another result of Kahneman and Tversky research.
>>
>>9937879
>And in the book "The Enigma of Reason" the concept of system 1 and system 2 was under critique.
In what way? I think that separating the decision making process in just two clear cut systems is quite an oversimplification but it's decent from someone coming from an economical and not neurobiological background.
>>
>>9937770
haha :^)
>>
>>9937766
>money rules everything around me
>>
>>9937766
Suicide
>>
Its a great book. I'm going to read it again but a tl;dr, we're fucking stupid, we rely on habits and are heavily biased and easy to manipulate.
>>
Pop-sci shit tier. Does not explain or explore anything remotely deep. I challenge you to find a single person working with the mind/psychology who has this on their recommended reading list. That's for a reason.
>>
>>9939561
Post three books from those people's lists that are relevant to the work of this book and that are better than it. No research papers, only books for general readers, as this one was written.
>>
After seeing it being shilled everywhere I bought a copy today at the book shop. What can I expect?
>>
>>9939612
Just fucking read it. It is not a hard book.
>>
Great read. As other anon pointed out, priming is the subject of heavy debate. Blargh's experiment hasn't been thoroughly replicated, the only two works that sort of did, rely in something called "conceptual replication". It's really a big problem in psychology how fucking weak is the basis of much "knowledge". I study psychology and when someone shits on psychology, I completely get it. The bias in publication is not good. This book cites some wonky research. Recently I read an article on Gilovich's research on the hot-hand how his instruments lacked the statisitical sensibility to detect the hot-hand phenomena. Still, a great book.
>>
>>9937938
All I remember is that they thought it would become the new "left and right brain".
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.