[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need to find a story/books name

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (4KB, 232x184px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 232x184px
Look I know this isn't /r/ but this has been annoying me for weeks. I'm looking for a name of a story (i think its a short story but could have been a book)

It starts off with a boy wanting to go to the dance with a girl but she said she'll only go with him if he pays for a taxi. So he goes for a walk (I think along the beach) and finds this old man (possibly in a cave, but he's in the dark and can't see him).

He tells the man his dilemma and he tells him a story about a guy (I think a tramp) who manages to get a load (possibly wins) money. He then realizes his only friend was his dogs so starts to pay people to entertain him and keeps giving away more and more money. His dog gets trapped down a well so the guy just throws down food and plans to recuse him at some point. He runs out of money so his "friends" then throw him down the well. The dog gets out the well, but can only look up now, and manages to throw food down the well to the guy. He eventually gets recused but the dog had died.

At this point, the boy walks away from the guy and looks back seeing that the man couldn't bend his neck and could only look straight up.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know xxx
>>
I looked, anon, but could not find. Sounds oriental.
>>
>>9936954

Thanks, think it may have been set in Australia
>>
>>9936818
So the old man on the beach was actually the dog in the story?...
>>
>>9937160

nope, the old man was the guy in the story and he had to look up the well like the dog so had the same neck thing
>>
>>9937174
Sounds gay.
>>
>>9936818
oh man, i am on a ton of speed and coffee; haven't slept in a while. totally ready to dig through the internet for ya, anon.

preliminary results from google don't show a particular story about a dog trapped in a well (which is the most recognizable piece of that story).

i'm guessing english isn't your first language, so i'll ask you a few simple questions:
>how long is the action between the boy and the girl, in relation to the old man's story? is it only a set-up for the story, are they about equal in importance…?
>how did the dog get trapped in a well? are you sure it was a water well? was the man a gambler? was the man religious at all?
>the boy finds that the man can only look straight up—what is the moral of this story? what is the reader supposed to feel at the end? is it satire, horror, drama…?
>where did you read this story? was it in a class? was it online, or in a book?
>>
>>9937272

>how long is the action between the boy and the girl, in relation to the old man's story?

The boy/girl bit is just a frame for the rest, not a huge part of the story at all, at the end, there is a bit about him telling the girl to fuck off (so to speak)

>how did the dog get trapped in a well? are you sure it was a water well?

Can't remember how the dog got trapped, the man was just too focused on giving money to people who would entertain him, they would queue up to do this, he started by giving them a dollar but when one guy did extra he gave them 2 so the rest wanted more and so on. He got money from the bank every day and one day they told him that he ran out of money so the crowd got angry and threw him down the well

Pretty sure it was a well but could be a hole of some sort

I do remember it vividly explaining that the dog would throw food down the well but had to go on its side because of its neck

>the boy finds that the man can only look straight up—what is the moral of this story?

think the moral was about the importance people place on money and that it cant buy you happiness

>where did you read this story?

Think it was my secondary English class

Thanks, this has been annoying me for ages
>>
Bump, this has been annoying me for ages
>>
>>9937957
hey, amphetamine anon here. i swear to god, i tried everything i could based on what you gave me. the real key to identifying this work is what nationality the author is. i'm not really sure if this was a horror story, a fable in the vein of aesop, or what.

if it's american, then the most popular short story writers would be:
>flannery o'connor
>edgar allan poe
>shirley jackson

if it's western, then the authors might include:
>rudyard kipling
>leo tolstoy

if it's eastern, then god knows. could be haruki murakami for my best guess. if you can remember any substantive details, such as the mood of the story or the location in which it took place, then i might be able to help more.

seriously, i worked on this for hours straight. it's bugging me now.
>>
>>9938165
oh, i also forgot jack london as a possible author. he was known to write about dogs, wolves, 'n shit.
>>
>>9938165

thanks anon, really appreciate it

think it none of them, all seem a bit too old given that it involves a boy thinking about pay for a taxi
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.