[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am interested in reading hagiography (lives of Saints). What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage.jpg (34KB, 319x450px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
34KB, 319x450px
I am interested in reading hagiography (lives of Saints). What is the best collection? I especially like the very bizarre ones like Saint Simeon (pic related).

>tries to be a perfect servant of God and isolate himself in a cave in the desert
>pilgrims still managed to find him and seek advice from him
>he then proceeds to climb up on a pillar and just chill there all the time
>>
Saints for Sinners (Goodier)
Saints for Now (Luce)
>>
It is a collection of anecdotes and sayings, but the Apophthegmata Patrum

OP, you might enjoy reading about "fools for Christ" which is an Orthodox category of saints who act very eccentric or even crazy. Basil, one of the better known ones, went around chained and nude. The movie "Ostrov" is about one
>>
>>9936581
And the novel Laurus that you see mentioned here talks a lot about that
>>
File: Celestinus_quintus.jpg (19KB, 250x426px) Image search: [Google]
Celestinus_quintus.jpg
19KB, 250x426px
>Lives 10+ years in a cave
>Gets imprisoned and dies in jail.
>>
File: AC.jpg (12KB, 220x350px) Image search: [Google]
AC.jpg
12KB, 220x350px
Why not an autohagiography?
>>
>>9937688
Heretic begone
>>
>>9936581
>OP, you might enjoy reading about "fools for Christ" which is an Orthodox category of saints who act very eccentric or even crazy

I'm interested in this, do you have any books to recommend about these types of Saints in particular?
>>
>>9936518

The Golden Legend.
>>
>>9936518
How about istead of that you watch Simon of the Desert and then the rest of Bunuel's filmography and then realize that the church is a bunch of horse shit.
>>
>>9937902
>Spanish Marxists
Hmm... No.
>>
The Lausiac History by Palladius is a fun collection where he travels around eqypt/palestine and writes about monks he has heard of/meets. St.
Theodoret has a history of the monks in syria which will have what you are looking for in terms of stranger ascetics. Theodoret also wrote one of the three contemporary lives of St.Symeon Stylites (there is a Cistercian Studies translation with all three if you haven't read the others).
I would also recommend St. Athanasius' life of St. Anthony and St. Bonaventure's life of St. Francis as well.
>>
slightly related, but does anyone have any recommendations for books about or involving nuns? nonfiction or fiction desu.
>>
>>9937897
Laurus is a novel, but it's all about that and alludes heavily to hagiography. A guy fornicates, ruins his life as a result, and becomes a fool for Christ and runs into others. It is set during the Middle Ages.

Books about actual ones in particular I don't know about ( but I'm sure there are many), but you can find their stories strewn throughout Orthodox hagiographies and guides to the holy life. They are held in very high regard, and acting intentionally stupid or crazy in order to mortify worldly concerns such as pride, is even an ascetic practice, but that should be distinguished from people like Abraham the Patriarch or David of Thessaloniki who did crazy things because the Spirit guided them to (which is also called foolishness for Christ).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.