[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does it live up to the hype?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: untitled.png (2MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
2MB, 1000x750px
Does it live up to the hype?
>>
The Adventures betweeen Ignatius and the Parrot are legendary
>>
It's a love it or hate it book. Don't get caught up in the surface gags and realize there's other themes at play.
>>
>>9934162
That's what I think stopped me from finishing it the first time I was reading it, that is, not realizing there's another layer.
>>
It's good. Probably a lot should have been edited out like his agent suggested, you know, instead of toole sperging out and killing himself. But good overall.
>>
>>9934141
i read it. it was interesting. not genius, maybe, wish he hadn't killed himself and written greater work. i am reminded of ignatius masturbating to memories of how soft his childhood dog's fur felt. the characters are strong caricatures, probably people he knew, if not, he was skilled at making carnivalesque entities, but something whispers a truth about it. it's all too familiar if you're victim to oblomovism in modern america. there is a constant sense that ignatius was born in a time unfamiliar to him, and more so, there is no proper time for him to exist.
>>
>>9934141
I should try to read this again. I think I dropped it within 20 pages.
>>
>>9934141
It's a great book anon. Some of the humor can go over your head as it plays a lot with how particular people from that city and the city itself are, but being able to get all that only makes it even better.
Characters are great, Ignatius is truly one of the best characters ever written and there are some incredible scenes (the fat fuck in front of the tv and the room blue from the screen light or the masturbation scene come to mind).
It's not light reading and you can get a lot of juice out of it if you don't get caught by the superficial buffoonery.
>>
>>9934141
It is basically a Seinfeld episode: the book. Make of that what you will.
>>
He's right about Boethius and Batman.
>>
I thought it was a pretty funny, often much more subtle than people realize, pastiche of New Orleans and the folly of fortune and the foibles of small time folks. Shame he killed himself before completing any other major works.
>>
i particularly enjoyed his depictions of the speech patterns of the coloreds.
>>
What books are prerequisites for a good understanding?
>>
It's pretty much my second favorite book.
>>
>>9934141
It's the greatest lampoon of humanity I've ever read
>>
hows the neon bible? is it as good?
>>
>>9935113
It's some school project he shat out, supposedly not good
>>
The mom is a royal cunt of the 1st degree. Her stupid ass gets drunk and runs into a building, yet it becomes Ignatius' fault somehow. She starts a fight with an innocent old man which gets him locked up, and he ends up blaming Ignatius for it. Then she tries to hook up with him purely for the money, She's also the one that sent the officer to tale Ignatius during the end which resulted in the incident at the bar and being published in the newspaper, and of course Ignatius gets blamed for that. Then this bitch has the nerve to try and get him committed over it.
>>
>>9934986
None really. Just have an understanding of 60's American society in the South. Red Scare, desegregation, and the post war boom specifically.
>>
'Crusaders for Moorish Dignity'. The banner he proudly made for a black workers movement.
That still cracks me up.
>>
>>9935828
My favorite moment in the book is when he commands his followers to tear down the system, but the first thing they break is something he likes so he freaks out and tells them to stop.
>>
>>9934141
They are tearing down the Ignatius j Riley statue here in Baltimore. This book is officially /pol/ tier
>>
>>9935950
OH NOOOOO NOW NOBODY WILL KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT THE BOOK!!!!!!! TOOLE WOULD REALLY GIVE A SHIT!!!!!!!!
>>
>>9934725
It's more like Dumb and Dumber if the characters had some pretense of being academics. It's hilarious
>>
>>9935828
I wrote a paper on that scene in college. It's a brilliant scene
>>
File: 5932179805_d0eb4fc28c_b.jpg (426KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5932179805_d0eb4fc28c_b.jpg
426KB, 680x1024px
>>9935950
What the fuck is this shit? Why isn't he fat? Why is he black?
>>
>>9936019
What did you write on, specifically?
>>
>>9936229
>this isn't a fat man in merrica
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.