[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to read next by this mad man?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Super-Cannes.jpg (199KB, 768x1167px) Image search: [Google]
Super-Cannes.jpg
199KB, 768x1167px
What to read next by this mad man?
>>
Love Ballard but I haven't read that one yet. Anyway I'm gonna recommend Unlimited Dream Company.
>>
>>9934056
It was cool, I hear it's like a sequel or rehash of Cocaine Nights. And High Rise sounds pretty close in idea to Super-Cannes too...

I think I'll read Crash next.
>>
>>9934018
Been meaning to start Ballard with Super-Cannes. Did you like it? Ballard seems to trigger the fuck out of people.
>>
>>9934018
FUGGING
RONALD
REAGAN
>>
>>9934301
I liked it. The central idea I had already experienced in the game Bioshock, where all work and no play makes people go insane and perverted, and it felt kind of trite. It was a fun mystery novel, but it wasn't especially edgy. Maybe at the time it was published it would have really got my goat, but nah. Fun read.
>>
Super-Cannes is absolute dogshit to read but it's an interesting novel. The prose is painful and it's wildly cliche (which it's supposed to be a lot of the time, but that doesnt make it enjoyable) and it's way too fucking long. Ballard does interesting shit with archetypes and falling into roles, though.
>>
>>9934364
So then what do you recommend? I feel like I might agree with what you said about Super-Cannes, but I'm not so certain.
>>
>>9934369
It's the only Ballard I've read; I read it in my European Post WWII lit class. I've heard that Cocaine Nights is essentially the same book but better. I know in Super-Cannes he was going for pulp-inspired prose (as in pulp novels like Chandler), not sure if that's the case in Cocaine Nights.
I think this articulates my gripes with Super-Cannes well: it reads as if Ballard was writing it with one hand.
>>
>>9934447
Damn. I wish one of us has read something else by this guy!

I thought Super-Cannes was too pulpy and lazy, too. It was still a fun story though.
>>
>>9934348
have you read henry iv? What do you think of it?
>>
>>9934482
I haven't! Is it related?
>>
>>9934487

Just on the all work, no play subject, but in reverse and in finding a balance.

"If all the year were playing holidays,
To sport would be as tedious as to work;
But when they seldom come, they wished-for come, and nothing pleaseth but rare accidents."

"O gentlemen, the time of life is short.
To spend that shortness basely were too long
If life did ride upon a dial's point,
Still ending at the arrival of an hour."
>>
how is Concrete Island?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.