[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Umberto Eco Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Umberto_Eco_1984.jpg (187KB, 851x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Umberto_Eco_1984.jpg
187KB, 851x1280px
You will never be as cool-looking or as literate as pic related. You will never seamlessly transition from semiotics to fiction and intertwine both traditions in magnificent books like The Name of the Rose, Foucault's Pendulum or Baudolino.

Do you feel like a failure, /lit/?
>>
>>9933935
>Do you feel like a failure
Nah. I might not be as literate or gifted as a writer but I sure as hell look a whole lot cooler.

One of my all time favorite authors though.
>>
>>9933935
I really like Eco. I picked up Island of the Day Before a while ago but haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyone have thoughts on that work in particular?
>>
>>9934149
Unfortunately this is one of Eco's work that I haven't read yet. But it should be good, I can't picture this guy writing something bad.
>>
File: 1464236869983.jpg (186KB, 641x894px) Image search: [Google]
1464236869983.jpg
186KB, 641x894px
>>9933935
I've read Name of the Rose, Foucault's Pendulum, and How to Travel with a Salmon - what next? Was thinking of either Prague Cemetery or Numero Zero.
>>
>>9933935
Foucault's Pendulum was something else, it scratched all the my itches of the absurd, occult and mystery that Ive ever wanted from a novel. Picked up Prague Cemetary and will probably read that to get into the Halloween mood
>>
>>9934315
That's true. I'm looking forward to reading it too.
>>
>>9934428
Baudolino is great if you liked the historical angle of Name of the Rose. If you fancy more non-fiction, Travels in Hyperreality is a little more heavy-going than Travels With Salmon but still great.
>>
>>9934501
Did you ever get into Illuminatus! by Robert Wilson? It's a lot like Foucault's pendelum, and you may enjoy it from the absurd, occult, metaphysical perspective (but I liked FP better...it said the same thing in like 600 fewer pages, but Illuminatus was still fun to read)
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 520x390px
>>9933935
i accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, so here goes:

>mother-in-law's 69th birthday
>episcopal priest
>studied medieval theology out the ass
>focused on people like julian of norwich and hildegard of bingen
>got "the name of the rose" as her gift
>"oh, this was all the rage back when i was in seminary. never read it, though"

did i fuck up or do well? i played it off like i had read it and enthusiastically hyped it up to her, but in reality, all i have read is "how to travel with a salmon"
>>
>>9934547
You did good. It will be a great read for her. Very kind and thoughtful of you anon.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.