[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw finding a way to shoehorn a semi-colon into a sentence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: doctor jordan b peterson.png (842KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
doctor jordan b peterson.png
842KB, 1280x720px
>mfw finding a way to shoehorn a semi-colon into a sentence
>>
>>9931738
>finding a way
It's doable literally any time you want to connect two independent sentences that discuss the same topic.
>>
>>9931742
i get rebuked at college for using semi-colons in lists
is it dying out?
>>
>>9931818
>college
There's your problem.
>>
>>9931818
>lists
Wouldn't lists be dependent clauses? You're only supposed to use semi-colons to connect independent clauses i.e. complete sentences that could stand on their own.
>>
>>9931818
this is only for lists with sub-lists
>>9931829
this is the most common use
>>
>>9931829
i use semi colons to separate items in lists when the items contain commas. this often bamboozles my tutor
>>
>>9931829
In order to avoid confusion, semicolons should be used in lists of items which include commas.
>>
>>9931837
>>9931839
>>9931841
Why would you want to have a list with sub-lists in the first place? That sounds like the sort of situation where you'd want to set aside a separate section to write about each sub-list instead of trying to cram it all into a single multi-layer clusterfuck.
>>
>>9931855
two coats, one black, one blue; two pairs of shoes, one black, one brown; one pair of sock, argyle; three shirts, white.
>>
>>9931855
I didn't say it was good practice.
>>
>>9931855
my sister; my mum; my brother, the one who lives in gook; my dad and my handsome son, David
>>
>>9931861
What the fuck is this phrasing

>one pair of sock, argyle
>three shirts, white

are you fucking Captain Picard or some shit?
>>
>>9933562
Say that sentence out loud. If you were describing a list of items like that it would be something very much similar to how its written there. People talk in run-on sentences.

Reminded me of this (almost exactly the same types of lists as that sentence). Skip to 2:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-wWnnYyK8
>>
>>9931829
you can also use semi-colons as "super" commas

Read Henrich Von Kleist if you want to see some autistic sentence structure. Lots of semi-colons
>>
>>9933669
The famous first sentence of the Marquise of O:

In M—, an important town in northern Italy, the widowed Marquise of O—, a lady of unblemished reputation and the mother of several well-brought-up children, inserted thefollowing announcement in the newspapers: that she had, without knowledge of the cause, come to find herself in a certain situation; that she would like the father of the child she was expecting to disclose his identity to her; and that she was resolved, out of consideration for her family, to marry him.
>>
File: plain mask.jpg (166KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
plain mask.jpg
166KB, 600x600px
>mfw I have to make do with a comma and compromise clarity instead of using a semi-colon in order not to look pretentious
>>
>>9933763
I know this feel.

I recently revised a short story of mine and I'm pretty sure I converted 90% of my semi-colons into commas.
>>
>>9933562
I laughed.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.