[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Very Short Introductions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 9780199539406.jpg (22KB, 270x430px) Image search: [Google]
9780199539406.jpg
22KB, 270x430px
Are Oxford's Very Short Introductions actually worth reading? My university has a lot of them in its bookstore and I was thinking about getting a few.

Pic related is one I really want to get.
>>
I'll give you a synopsis of that book:

> No one knows shit about the druids.
>>
It depends on the author, they are mostly good, but you can find them for free on libgen. I would only buy the ones that aren't there.
>>
They are actually for the most part very good.
>>
>My university has a lot of them in its bookstore
>My university
>bookstore

being this ignorant about a little place called the library
>>
I've only read one and referenced a few more, but from what little I know they're great. Can be read in an afternoon, gives you the very broad strokes, and ends (at least the one I read) with a recommended further reading list for each chapter covered. Great way to get some ground to stand on in a new area of study, especially if you're studying jndependently and don't have a prof to guide you.
>>
>>9930511
>>9930576
https://youtu.be/qAXzzHM8zLw
>>
>>9930853
Some universities have bookstores as well. I write all over my books so i dont mind buying some books that ill be spending a lot of time with. Most of the time ill just go to the library.
>>
Yeah I like them. I have the Knowledge and the Metaphysics ones. The Knowledge one was a great intro to epistemology. Metaphysics was also good but it was maybe a little too pop philosophy tier. Would still recommend both though.
>>
>>9930955
My girlfriend reads tons of these. From what I gather they vary in quality a lot and since every one has a different author you never really know what you're in for. That being said, it seems like if you know nothing about a subject they're pretty good. In her case she loved Kabbalah AVSI and liked Ancient Chinese Literature, but hated Jewish History (which she knows well) and Art Theory (which was bonkers).
>>
>>9930511
the very fact that they got Roger fucking Scruton to do the one on beauty basically delegitimizes the whole series.
>>
>>9932024
>In her case she loved Kabbalah AVSI and liked Ancient Chinese Literature, but hated Jewish History (which she knows well) and Art Theory (which was bonkers).
Is she ugly anon
Be honest
Girls aren't usually interested in this kind of stuff unfortunately
>>
>>9932024
can confirm the art theory one is bonkers
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.