[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your honest opinion on Michael Chabon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: werewolves-final.jpg (230KB, 600x927px) Image search: [Google]
werewolves-final.jpg
230KB, 600x927px
Your honest opinion on Michael Chabon?
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>9930554
Give me yours, OP. He seems a relevant current author. Rec me some stuff as to why
>>
>>9930186
I like some of his work, but in a way that some general reader talk about airport books as trash. I feel cosy in his worlds, but many because I don't feel like much has changed from the television screen I've stared at for years.

He's got more depth than most pulp mystery writers. But his works are essentially The New Pulp - the genre mixing genre of years past that was essentially just a new low for writers with literary aims. Nothing wrong with him as pulp, though. But I hate playful, sitcom style, Netflix binge watching books that not only are not projecting some self-satisfaction, but are also conscious of trying to undermine both the authors self-satisfaction and their self-consciousness.

Should I explore more of his work? I'm usually not satisfied with American writers in general, unless they're from a different era. Maybe it's just me.
>>
He's alright for a light read, but he peaked with his first novel.

I will say that his book covers/materials are usually excellent, though. They're very pleasant to hold and look at on the shelf.
>>
>>9930186
I've only read Gentlemen of the Road, but it was certainly entertaining enough that i am interested in Kavalier and Clay.. GotR is not as literary as i expect his other works to be, but it definitely is sort of an ode to old Chinese literature (it certainly has vibes of something like Water Margin)

he doesnt seem overly smug and pretentious like a lot of todays authors are, but id be interested to hear waht you think about his other more literary works
>>
>>9930666
hi satan

so you would recommend mysteries of pittsbhurg ?
>>
>>9930628
>I'm usually not satisfied with American writers in general, unless they're from a different era
well i dont think he's in the pomo vein of pynchon, dfw, gaddis, delilo etc., probs more in the Oprah book of the month category
>>
>>9930682

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it. It's just preferred compared to his other works.

If you're a fan of Kavalier/Clay and Yiddish Policemen, you'd probably enjoy it on some level.
>>
>>9930667
What are his more literary works? I think I've read three of four of his books. He seems like he doesn't want to be seen as pretentious in his first two, but in Kavalier and Clay that self-consciousness isn't there. I liked it, but it was only something to read for entertainment. I think the problem with a bunch of those The New Pulp writers did better writing once they distanced themselves from their times - which is such a telling trait of modern writers in general.

I think Ben Lerner did well in 10:05 to push past The New Pulp, while hinting at that accessibility and then pushing past it to be "pretentious" or learned or crafty or prosaic and clever.

>>9930692
I hate that Americans exported their particular efficiency of tastes into Canada to the point where no one wants more than what everyone can have, all the while knowing that everyone wants only the best. That profoundly Pax Americana compromise needs to be assaulted from within as much as it needs to be deported.
>>
>>9930186
Yiddish Policemen's Union was pretty good.
>>
I read Yiddish Policemen and it was good but don't see where's so much fuss about him. Maybe some day I'll read Kavalier and Clay but I feel like I gave him a shot already so he isn't near the top of the list.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.