[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paul Auster

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: paul-auster.jpg (34KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
paul-auster.jpg
34KB, 316x400px
What does /lit/ think of this guy?
Did you like 4321?
>>
new york shit isn't literature
>>
New York trilogy is absolutely fantastic and one of my favorite books

Everything else I've read by him has just made me wish I reread NY trilogy
>>
>>9925683
So many flyovers on this board. Any time NY is even alluded to they have to cry about it.
>>
>>9925670
I myself like him alot, but it's very obvious he's a massive Frenchaboo and loves NY maybe a little too much.
Still among the best contemporary US writers. Even better than Franzen.
>>
DUDE LOSE YOURSELF IN THE CROWD
DUDE WHO IS THE AUTHOR NOW? I'LL NEVER TELL! TEEHEE!
>>
his sister in law and his muse both interest me more.
>>
>>9925978
>What did he mean by that?

2/3 through with 4321 and I love it. Probably close to his best work. His prose is superb as always and the construction of the novel is astounding.

Any opionions besides spouting stale/unfunny memes? I thought this board was frequented by "Intellectuals" like myself??
>>
>>9925670
I liked Teh New York Trilogy and The Music of Chance. Leviathan and Moon Palace were both fake and gay.
>>
>>9925991
I was talking about the New York Trilogy, not 4321.
>>
>>9925996
Ok. Sorry for misunderstanding. Still like the trilogy, but I kinda get where you are coming from.
I just love his prose and imagination.

>>9925982
I want to fuck Amy so bad and Vivian seems like a great MILF.

Also the novel, to me at least, has a alot in common with Irvings "A Prayer to Owen Meany". Not only the growing up in the 50's/60's but the characters of Amy/Hester and the scenery of NY, also the pussy of a protagonist..
>>
>>9926011
>Still like the trilogy
I do too, I was just memeing.
>>
>>9925971
>even better than franzen

that's a low bar
>>
>>9926015
Really? Name someone better in contemp US Lit, I'd glady read him/her. Corrections is a masterpiece imho, Freedom is great and Purity, I give you that, is kinda meh.
>>
I read that one book where there's some kid who was raised to speak the language of angels or something and I thought it was real shit.

He had some interesting ideas but does nothing interesting with it in the story, it's like "oh wouldn't it be crazy if there was a kid who was raised to not speak language? how would he think? oh I don't know either okay the end."

the story just falls apart and he clearly had no idea how to end it and there's no resolution so it just stops abruptly, he's like Kilgore Trout in the Vonnegut books in that he has interesting ideas but no clue how to turn them into a story.
>>
>>9926036
Maybe he's anti story did you ever think of that huh?

That's why the French like him. Americans can't handle Auster 'cause there's no laugh track or music while they're reading so they don't know how to feel.
>>
>>9926060

okay but if it's just mean to be a neat idea no story why do I have to bother reading a 100+ page book

I'll just read the wikipedia summary then
>>
>>9926071
>I'll just read the wikipedia summary then
/lit/ in one sentence...
>>
>>9926033
foremost

prose

stylist

franzen is middlebrow drivel. the man couldn't finish the recognitions cause it was too hard for him
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.