[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is pic related actually good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: AbsalomAbsalom.jpg (37KB, 296x429px) Image search: [Google]
AbsalomAbsalom.jpg
37KB, 296x429px
Is pic related actually good?
>>
>>9924252
If you like Faulkner, sure. If you haven't read any Faulkner then just read The Sound and the Fury instead.
>>
>>9924263
I thought it was "better" than Sound and the Fury
>>
>>9924263
Read As I Lay Dying first for sure. Great intro to Faulkner.
>>
>>9924298
Which did you read first? Knowing Quentin from S&F definitely affected how I read Absalom so I'm curious about the reverse.

>>9924302
I read that after reading both of the others mentioned in the thread and I really could barely stand it. It wasn't awful but it didn't even seem like the same author to me. Maybe it's best as an intro.
>>
>>9924333
I haven't read either of them I want to know why this is the meme book. why do people think it's so good?
>>
>>9924333
It is best as an intro. Don't tell people to just go and read Sound and Fury if they are not at least familiar with Faulkner. The beginning of S&F is incredibly confusing if you don't have a guide or know what's going on. Now, if you get it then great, you'll love it. But if you don't then you'll be put off of Faulkner. As I Lay Dying is nothing like this but is still an incredible book and should make you like Faulkner enough to get past what may be a confusing start to S&F.
>>
>>9924398
do I have to read S&F first or not?
>>
>>9924403
No, I recommend reading As I Lay Dying first. It's a really good book if you just appreciate it for what it is, a great novel told from unique perspectives. Sound & Fury is more of an artist's book; it breaks more ground. You're going to want to do a small amount of research on that one.

(Unless you really want to be confused, don't read this comment further if you do.)

The beginning is told from the perspective of a mentally handicapped person through stream of consciousness and goes back and forth from his childhood, teenage, and adult years with little indication that the times have changed. (I am only now realizing you may know all this...) That little indication can be made more clear if you know that certain helpers for the main character- he's mentally challenged remember- help you place the time. Also Faulkner's use of italics is an indication as well.
>>
>>9924333

I personally read A,A! before Sound, and I actually really preferred that. I felt that it gave me a point of reference for Quentin, and since the chronology is A,A! to Sound I felt more involved with his character as opposed to if I read them the opposite way. A,A! also kind of built up my interest in the dynamic of the family, since you get a bit of Mr. Compson in the early goings of that novel.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.